Thread: Plasma cutter, what features and brands to look for?

Default Plasma cutter, what features and brands to look for?

I'd like to add a plasma cutter to my arsenal.

My cursory search shows a bunch of different, mostly Chinese, brands. I'd like dual voltage input. My use is just hobby stuff, no big production.

Are most consumables standard or do some of these knock off machines require oddball proprietary stuff?

What should I be looking for?

As in nearly everything else in your life:

Buy once, cry once.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Hypertherm. Older Millers are good machines but some of the parts are now obsolete. New Millers are still good but not the same as the old.

Hypertherm ... Don't look back.

I went through this a couple months ago when I got tired of trying to cut out body pieces for my 79' Cherokee with an angle grinder. I ended up getting a Primeweld and so far it's cut really well. You'll need 220v to really get the most out of it though.

I looked at all the top end models. The new ones were way out of my price range and the used ones I could find, were really used and close to the same money. 5 year warranty. I'm wanting a TIG machine now.
    Last edited by 3 1/2" MAGUM; 10-23-2023 at 05:29 PM.

I have a small Miller that's dual voltage. It's been great for everything. Just make sure you have dry air.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 1/2" MAGUM View Post
    I went through this a couple months ago when I got tired of trying to cut out body pieces for my 79' Cherokee with an angle grinder. I ended up getting a Primeweld and so far it's cut really well. You'll need 220v to really get the most out of it though.

I looked at all the top end models. The new ones were way out of my price range and the used ones I could find, were really used and close to the same money. 5 year warranty. I'm wanting a TIG machine now.
    The Prime Weld intrigues me. As does their AC/DC TIG stuff.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

There are several models of Primeweld that are one tenth the price of a Hypertherm. I'm not running a fab or body shop and only want a plasma cutter to play with. That makes it hard to justify one of the major brand/major cost units.

Another inexpensive brand that appears to get good reviews is Lotos although it's hard to rely on internet reviews because they are often sponsored and/or biased.

I've got a little Lincoln "Squarewave 200" TIG machine I bought from a member here. I really enjoy playing with it and have made some pretty useful gadgets with it. It'll do AC/DC TIG, stick, and is supposed to be dual voltage, although it gives me a thermo alarm when I try to use it on 120vac.

I'd advise anyone looking at welders to get a MIG machine with shielding gas capability before they get a TIG. MIG is a lot easier to use and handles the majority of the stuff I need to stick together. I only resort to the TIG when I need to do some delicate welding on thin stuff. TIG takes a lot more finesse and skill and I have not begun to master it yet.

I think I can get by gambling $300 to $400 on a cheapo plasma cutter to see how much use it will get before I need to upgrade to a $2000 to $3000 Hypertherm.

I don't know a lot about plasma cutters, but my $130 Herocut is still doing the job. You're welcome to come over and try it out if you'd like.

I've been running a 110/220V Amazon Chinese rig for a while. I only make a few cuts maybe once a month or so and it gets the job done well. Certainly not a rig capable of doing any real production, but it cut through a 3/4" one point hitch adaptor a whole lot easier than a grinder.

I recommend getting one with pilot arc.

I think I'm about to pull the trigger but one of my concerns is the availability and interchangeability of consumables. There doesn't seem to be much standardization so it seems like one might be smart to go with a brand that has some longevity. There might also be some degree of gouging on the price of consumable even for brands that have been around a while. I don't want to fall into the trap that printer makers perfected where you can buy a printer for cheap but then get soaked by the ongoing need for printer cartridges.

I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster, I like it.

Your source of air is just as important. You need capacity and no moisture.

I pulled the trigger on a used Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 40 since it's made by ESAB and American made.

What is the recommendation for an air dryer?
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 11-05-2023 at 09:17 AM.