Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skirrel dog breeds

Default Skirrel dog breeds

I know there’s one or two of you tree rat chasers in here that could give some good info, and a lot of people that cant…

Probably going to be looking for a multi-purpose dog in the next year or so. Wanting a dog to be my little boy’s buddy, tree squirrels, and blood trail deer. There seems to be 4 or 5 cur breeds and a couple of feist breeds that would fit the bill? Or possibly a hunting Jack Russell?

Educate me on the squirrel dog breeds, specifically one that could handle blood trailing duties and curl up with a little boy at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

You get the boy a good squirrel dog and I can keep y’all busy. The hardwood bottoms on my place are loaded with them.

Just wait for DuckCutter to come along. Whatever he says go with.

Feists and Curs are your proven, steadfast options.

As far as squirrel killing capabilities go I don’t think one is necessarily better than the other and both could track a deer if needed. Your determining factors will probably come down to physical size differences and temperament.

The history of the original mountain cur is pretty cool. Settlers in early Appalachia depended on them heavily for hunting and protecting the homestead. Supposedly even Daniel Boone bred and raised his own cur dogs.

I started out with feists and have curs now, don’t see that changing back the other way.
    Jake is an excellent guard dog around the house and yard. If anybody comes down the drive he lets me know, he even barks when the mail lady stops at the end of the driveway. The only other person that can walk down to the kennels without him barking is my dad. He knows no one else is supposed to be anywhere near there without me around. I think a Cur has more “grit” and can handle themselves better in a fight with a coon or some other varmint. There used to be a game warden down in the lowcountry that had a cur that would pick up his doves in September and fill the tailgate with squirrels in January.

Shoot me a pm if you’d like and we’ll arrange for a hunt after deer season and I’ll have a buddy bring a feist along and you can watch them both in action
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 10-21-2023 at 01:19 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Mountain cur or Kemmer cur would be my choice.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I had Mt. curs and fiests years ago, would give a little edge to fiests for sight hunting and an edge to curs for winding game. I think a Mt cur would be better for blood trailing deer. Mine weren't bad for running deer, but had a few episodes and got them broke from that. Not sure how that combination will work for you.

both will bond to you and your boy and make great companion dogs. Both make good guard dogs to alert you and have grit, mt curs being bigger are more effective and intimidating to strangers. All of mine were would kill groundhogs, but a big one would about wear the fiests out.

My dogs were from Kenneth and Ruby Beatty out of Crossville Tn. Kenneth's family had kept the same bloodlines going from the early 1800's and Ruby's family had kept their family's fiest lines going from the late 1700's. Kenneth passed years ago, not sure what became of all their dogs.

Whatever DC says.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

An old timer I know has raised em all, bird dogs and retrievers included, but swears by Laika dogs for squirrels.

DC - we can definitely do that. I’ve got a little private with a few squirrels on it, or we can head down to NF and spend a day.

Crow - that was my one concern with getting a dog to blood trail deer but not want to run them when you’re squirrel hunting. I’d think that could be handled with some persistence and an e-collar though.

Just off of looks alone, I’ve kind of leaned towards a mountain / Kenner cur, but I’ve never been around any of these squirrel breeds.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    DC - we can definitely do that. I’ve got a little private with a few squirrels on it, or we can head down to NF and spend a day.

Crow - that was my one concern with getting a dog to blood trail deer but not want to run them when you’re squirrel hunting. I’d think that could be handled with some persistence and an e-collar though.

Just off of looks alone, I’ve kind of leaned towards a mountain / Kenner cur, but I’ve never been around any of these squirrel breeds.

Jake has found 2-3 deer for me over the years, not something I’ve ever really pushed him on but it can be done for sure.

A kemmer cur is a mountain cur, just a very specific bred/ well known blood line. Excellent dogs

I think a cur has the potential to be a more aggressive, one-person dog if you allow them to be

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Jake has found 2-3 deer for me over the years, not something I’ve ever really pushed him on but it can be done for sure.

A kemmer cur is a mountain cur, just a very specific bred/ well known blood line. Excellent dogs

I think a cur has the potential to be a more aggressive, one-person dog if you allow them to be
    Thanks for the info…I’ll definitely hit you up after deer season.

I did a search for feist and cur squirrel field and bench trials on this site (https://www.ukcdogs.com/hunting-events) and found the closest were in NC. It might be fun and worthwhile to go attend one of these. I went to one in Little Mountain, SC many years ago and came home with a Rat Terrier/Mountain Feist mix that was a great companion dog but not the best squirrel dog I ever had. My two best hunters were very mixed breeds.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 10-23-2023 at 12:55 PM.

If you see the big fella selling Boiled Peanuts at the traffic circle, stop and talk to him.

Research breeders and look for a dog bred to hunt. My wife "surprised" me years ago with a black mouth/mountain cur. He's absolutely worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Whatever DC says.
    This is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Research breeders and look for a dog bred to hunt. My wife "surprised" me years ago with a black mouth/mountain cur. He's absolutely worthless.
    Old Yeller was a black mouth cur

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Old Yeller was a black mouth cur
    You are correct, most don’t know that.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    I’m a cur dog connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    Yep. I have seen him called a yellow lab 10000 times. I had a lab from Bruce Jackson that I think had a little cur in him. Grits was a damned beast...

indeed he was
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.