Thread: Lithium battery conversion for golf cart

Default Lithium battery conversion for golf cart

Big Brother’s trolling motor thread got me thinking about replacing my golf cart with Li batteries. The current batteries are 7+ years old and need to be changed out. It is a 48-volt system with 8 6-volt batteries.

Does anyone have experience with this upgrade? There are several kits online that vary widely in price.

https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-...id=ButtonsCamp

I have had 3 neighbors convert their ClubCar 48V carts to these new Li batteries. Not one of them has had a single success. The initial cost is substantial, each cart has lost distance post conversion, and they have all lost some speed.
    I am by no means a golf cart conversion expert, and neither are these folks. They all simply installed what was provided, followed instructions and not one of them is happy with the results.

Bought the 72V from Big Battery and have been very pleased. Done everything its supposed to do. I had a issue with the charger so I called them up to order a replacement. They didn't ask any questions, just sent me a new one even though it was likely my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Love2labs View Post
    I have had 3 neighbors convert their ClubCar 48V carts to these new Li batteries. Not one of them has had a single success. The initial cost is substantial, each cart has lost distance post conversion, and they have all lost some speed.
    I am by no means a golf cart conversion expert, and neither are these folks. They all simply installed what was provided, followed instructions and not one of them is happy with the results.
    Buy junk, get junk.

EVs are easy.

Good batteries + Good controller (and programming) + Good motor = Good results.

Sub shit for any one of the three and you will be displeased.

If you actually want to convert, you'll need to ask yourself what your budget is. If it ain't a lot, just keep buying OG golf cart batteries and roll on.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Buy junk, get junk.

EVs are easy.

Good batteries + Good controller (and programming) + Good motor = Good results.

Sub shit for any one of the three and you will be displeased.

If you actually want to convert, you'll need to ask yourself what your budget is. If it ain't a lot, just keep buying OG golf cart batteries and roll on.
    I have been looking at converting our older 36v Ezgo. Runs fine back and forth to dock and around neighborhood on good flooded batteries, but it's time for a new set.

So are you saying in order for the conversion to be successful/reliable the controller, motor and batteries need to be changed out?

I agree to not cheap out on the batteries/charger but was not considering changing out the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    I have been looking at converting our older 36v Ezgo. Runs fine back and forth to dock and around neighborhood on good flooded batteries, but it's time for a new set.

So are you saying in order for the conversion to be successful/reliable the controller, motor and batteries need to be changed out?

I agree to not cheap out on the batteries/charger but was not considering changing out the rest.
    Not at all. I'm saying that I'll wager homeboy neighbors went short on something.

Good batteries aint cheap and only a cheapskate would skimp on cables if they just dropped $3k on batteries.

The motor and control performance is known.

You're never disappointed in new batteries when you get new batteries because the old ones were THAT bad.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!