Thread: Sometimes the bear eats errybody

Default Sometimes the bear eats errybody

Calgary

Couple dead after bear attack in Banff National Park, grizzly killed

The common-law couple were experienced in the backcountry, says family member

Kylee Pedersen · CBC News
    Oct 01, 2023

A grizzly bear attacked and killed two people in Banff National Park west of Sundre, Alta., on Friday night, Parks Canada says.

The people who died were common-law partners, according to a family member of one of the deceased whose name CBC News is choosing to keep confidential until all members of the family have been notified. The couple's dog, who was with them at the time, was also killed.

"They were long-term partners who loved the outdoors and were inseparable," read a statement from the family member.

"They lived for being in the backcountry and were two of the most cautious people I know. They knew bear protocol and followed it to a tee."

Parks Canada received an alert from a GPS device in the Red Deer River Valley west of Ya Ha Tinda Ranch at about 8 p.m. on Friday indicating a bear attack, said Natalie Fay, external relations manager for the Banff field unit.

2 grizzlies follow hikers down trail for 20 minutes in Banff National Park
    In a statement, Fay said a team specially trained in wildlife attacks was immediately mobilized, but weather hindered their response time.

"Weather conditions at the time did not allow for helicopter use, and the response team travelled through the night to the location by the ground," she said.

"The response team arrived on-site at 1 a.m. and discovered two deceased individuals."

While in the area, the response team encountered a grizzly bear displaying aggressive behaviour, Fay said, leading Parks Canada staff to destroy the animal on-site for public safety.

RCMP arrived at 5 a.m. to transport the victims to Sundre, Alta., she said.

"This is a tragic incident and Parks Canada wishes to express its sincere condolences to the families and friends of the victims," the statement read.

Fatal bear attacks rare
    Only 14 per cent of grizzly bear attacks worldwide lead to fatalities, said Titchener, making this incident a rare occurrence.

"Often when people have encounters with grizzlies, usually the grizzly goes one direction and the people go in the other," said Titchener.

"So we rarely do see cases where we actually have everyone involved killed."

Titchener said that while she doesn't yet know the details of what happened, the majority of bear attacks tend to be caused by surprise run-ins. She added that the couple could have still been hiking or setting up their camp when they came in contact with the bear, and that bears do tend to be more active at dusk.

One man and one woman are dead after being mauled by a grizzly bear while hiking in a remote part of Banff National Park, west of Sundre, Alta., says Parks Canada. The couple’s dog was also killed in the attack. Park officials say the bear was later located and destroyed.
    "They could have surprised a bear at close range and had an encounter that led to a defensive attack. It's extremely rare to see predatory attacks by grizzly bears, but not unheard of."

According to the family member of one of the deceased, the family received a notification via inReach at 5 p.m. that the couple had camped for the night.

"They checked in every night," said the family member. "This means they were not travelling after dark and they were not setting up camp when the attack happened."

Banff's infamous 'Boss' grizzly bluff charges locals, renewing calls for town fruit tree removal
    At this time of year, bears are in hyperphagia, said Titchener, a period of increased appetite as bears prepare to hibernate for the winter. While Titchener said there is no relationship between this time frame and increased bear attacks on humans, bears are indeed hungry.

"They're still trying to dig up root systems and just trying to eat what grasses are left and what berries are still around to get on those last few pounds so that they can start heading to their dens," said Titchener.

While some bears begin to den in mid-October, larger bears can stay active until December, a reminder that it is still actively bear season across the province, said Titchener.

Horses graze on grass behind a fence.
    The attack occurred in the wilderness to the west of Ya Ha Tinda Ranch in Banff National Park. (Wallis Snowdon/CBC)
    A remote area
    Merle Fox and his wife Laurie have managed Sunset Guiding and Outfitting west of Sundre for the last 14 years. Fox said his camp is roughly three hours west of where the attack happened by horseback.

"Well, I hate to say it, but I wasn't really surprised," Fox said in response to hearing about the attack.

"Bears are hungry at this time of the year and there are no berries or a thing out there for them this year."

Fox said a late frost in spring froze off all the berry blossoms, leading to a shortage of one of bears' main food groups. He added that faced with a vegetation shortage, grizzly bears will turn to eating deer, young elk, or wild horses instead.

"I think that's probably why these two people were attacked, is that the bear was hungry and he saw them as an easy target."

While he's not too nervous traversing the area given his experience, Fox said he and his guides often head into the backcountry armed, just in case they do encounter a bear.

Bears relocated in Jasper National Park after group poses for selfie with mother, cub
    He said the terrain in the area where the attack occurred is made up of steep cliffs, and is only accessible by foot or on horseback.

The fact that the bear was still in the area when the Parks Canada response team arrived on the scene is "highly unusual", said Titchener, especially if the attack was a defensive one.

"Usually the attack occurs and then the bear leaves the area," she said.

"So that of course is concerning and I'm not sure what was going on there, but of course those details will come out as they do the investigation."

Titchener added that one of the reasons Parks Canada responders would kill a bear on-the-spot is if it was behaving aggressively toward them.

"Obviously they had to take that bear's life so that they could hopefully get to those people. But unfortunately, it was too late."

Bear safety still important
    Brushing up on bear safety remains a vital tool for hikers and those participating in outdoor activities, said Titchener.

She advised that travelling in groups, making noise to let animals know you're in the area and carrying bear spray, are all effective ways to prevent attacks from happening.

If people see any signs of bears while they are on a trail, including scat, diggings, claw marks or tracks, or if they see an animal carcass or birds circling, they should leave the area immediately, said Titchener.

Titchener said that if people do encounter a bear, they should stay together as a group and pull out their bear spray. She added that taking a bear safety course can help people further understand bear behaviour and determine whether a bear is acting in a defensive or predatory way.

Parks Canada said a closure order is in place around the area where the couple were attacked — including the Red Deer and Panther valleys, from Snow Creek Summit east to the National Park boundary, and north to Shale Pass — until further notice as a safety precaution.

Clarifications
    A previous version of this story said the people who died were husband and wife. A family member has informed CBC News that they were common-law partners.
    Oct 01, 2023 8:37 PM MT

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...20the%20family.

How long has grizzly hunting been outlawed up there now?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Apparently berries are in short supply in the area. Bears gonna bear. I found the article interesting in that I now believe I have hyperphagia .
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

At this time of year, bears are in hyperphagia, said Titchener, a period of increased appetite as bears prepare to hibernate for the winter. While Titchener said there is no relationship between this time frame and increased bear attacks on humans, bears are indeed hungry.

No crap, who knew?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Fat and slow is the perfect meal for a Griz. x2.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

And in another jawdropping incident.....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/montana-n...-attack-family
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

A man who would strike off into grizzly country without a firearm just isn't thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    A man who would strike off into grizzly country without a firearm just isn't thinking.
    Friend of mine who was a fishing guide in alaska said he was more afraid of black bear encounters than grizz encounters. If a grizz was fishing a pool, let him have it. If you were fishing a pool and a grizz showed up, let him have it. No delays, no one more cast.

Black bears are the betas out there and they do beta shit for their winter fat. Also I'd hate to face a hungry black bear. They're clumsy when they kill. You wont go quick.

That said I am still scared of a grizz. I throw water bottles at my black bears on the the stand.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    How long has grizzly hunting been outlawed up there now?
    Since 2017.
    They have a draft management plan in now to try and open it back up, long shot though.

There is one 1st Nation tribe that is fed up with them, paying members $1000 bounty per bear if that tells you anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Tells me they need to up their bear intake quick like. There seems to be a lot more out there than the bear huggers want you to know.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

In the Canadian wilderness and known grizzly country without a sidearm?
    WTF, I don't go to the gas station without one
    Last edited by ecu1984; 10-02-2023 at 03:14 PM.

you're more likely to lose your life in a gas station than grizz country.

Btw, how well do you skin grizz pilgrim?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Since 2017.
    They have a draft management plan in now to try and open it back up, long shot though.

There is one 1st Nation tribe that is fed up with them, paying members $1000 bounty per bear if that tells you anything.
    Which one? I’ll buy one a drink, swab their DNA from the glass and send the sample to 23 and Me as my own.

Decent chance the dog attacked the bear and they tried to help.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Decent chance the dog attacked the bear and they tried to help.
    Most likely...