Thread: 22’ Aluminum Boats

Default 22’ Aluminum Boats

Thinking about moving up to a 22’ boat. My little Triton 1860sc is getting small as the boys grow. We’re attempting the SALTT league again, had to hunker down to stay hook free today. Bigger gives me more range and comfort to do some nearshore too. Plus the wife doesn’t like riding in the little boat either the stupid on the rivers.

Three in stock at some local dealers

Excel 22
    Avid 23
    Xpress 22B

Know zero about the Excel or Avid. What are some others I should look at. I’d like to be able to see a Sea Ark but hard to find that size here.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Following. Fished a Xpress H20 for a couple years. Loved everything about if

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went through this exercise about a year ago. I ended up with Express H22.

Express H series 20/22/24 are the same and the extra 2 feet is added between the console and the front deck. Same beam on all three. Their 23 foot boat adds a bit of width. Marginally larger fuel cell on the express (40 vs 36)

Excel Bay pro has a thicker hull design of .160 versus the .125 found on the express.

Pad hull design between the two seem pretty comparable.

I liked the behind the seat rod holder set up on the Excel but copied it with aftermarket holders. Center Console storage is about useless on both. Tough to access the batteries, as there just isn't enough working space. Both of the power pole hydraulic units are under there as well. I ended up switching to a Lithium battery to save on weight and aggravation. 80# trolling motor is more than enough- I actually took a 112 off because of the 36 volt setup.

Front storage is plenty on both boats and I didn't think that neither had a distinct advantage. I think the Excel had a separate anchor locker but that wasn't attractive with a dual power pole/ spot lock set up.

I went on the used market because I wasn't willing to shell out 60k for a new set up.

I wanted a Yamaha motor simply because I had the capability to reflash the motors on my own. I ended up with the 200 SHO and in stock form the boat would run 57. Boat will scoot after the motor upgrade. The horsepower increases on the SHO platform are incredible. The SHO150 and 200 have the most potential with the motors going to 231hp and 332hp, respectively.

Avid boats didn't seem to be substantially different but there were not a bunch on the used market at the time for consideration.

Some of the Excel boats were put on a single axle trailer and I will never own another single axle trailer in my life.
    Last edited by kquinn; 10-01-2023 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added trailer info

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    I went through this exercise about a year ago. I ended up with Express H22.

Express H series 20/22/24 are the same and the extra 2 feet is added between the console and the front deck. Same beam on all three. Their 23 foot boat adds a bit of width. Marginally larger fuel cell on the express (40 vs 36)

Excel Bay pro has a thicker hull design of .160 versus the .125 found on the express.

Pad hull design between the two seem pretty comparable.

I liked the behind the seat rod holder set up on the Excel but copied it with aftermarket holders. Center Console storage is about useless on both. Tough to access the batteries, as there just isn't enough working space. Both of the power pole hydraulic units are under there as well. I ended up switching to a Lithium battery to save on weight and aggravation. 80# trolling motor is more than enough- I actually took a 112 off because of the 36 volt setup.

Front storage is plenty on both boats and I didn't think that neither had a distinct advantage. I think the Excel had a separate anchor locker but that wasn't attractive with a dual power pole/ spot lock set up.

I went on the used market because I wasn't willing to shell out 60k for a new set up.

I wanted a Yamaha motor simply because I had the capability to reflash the motors on my own. I ended up with the 200 SHO and in stock form the boat would run 57. Boat will scoot after the motor upgrade. The horsepower increases on the SHO platform are incredible. The SHO150 and 200 have the most potential with the motors going to 231hp and 332hp, respectively.

Avid boats didn't seem to be substantially different but there were not a bunch on the used market at the time for consideration.

Some of the Excel boats were put on a single axle trailer and I will never own another single axle trailer in my life.
    The Xpress is the one I am strongly leaning towards. However, the Avid is a very nicely laid out boat and seems to have a lot of thought put into it from a design standpoint. Fuel tank under the deck and moved forward, storage everywhere, more deck space, T-top option, larger console, 7 stringers, foam fill everywhere, extra bracing etc. They're just a very new company and there isn't a lot of information of long-term durability out there.

Wasn't there some weld issues with Excel at one point or was that Xpress?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Pretty sure they all have bad welds at one point or another

If you do the Facebook thing, look up Brian Nealey...he just posted a badass ride a few minutes ago...Darlington...and if you don't, pm me and I'll put you in contact with him....

I have a 2016 H22B I bought from a guy in timmonsville. It has a Yamaha F150. Im pleased with the boat. There factory wiring sucks and the trailers are suspect. I rewired most of my boat when I added the stereo and electronics. I have been all over this boat and its well made. Some of the welds dont look great and there is some other production boat stuff that is lacking but they are good boats.

If you ever want to ride on it I keep it near the upper lake and I am up that way a good bit. I also may know of a H20 for sale thats a nice setup.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Any reason you absolutely have to have a tin boat? That price range could put you in a pretty nice flat or bay.