Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Grease Render…

Default Bear Grease Render…

The history of bear fat and bear grease and it’s impact on the founding of this country and who we are is probably well known and appreciated by most here. It has been said that frontiersmen and professional hunters during the times of the early settlers would give away and sell the deer and elk but would keep the bears for themselves. It use ranged from a nutritional staple vital to sustain life to greasing ball patches, water proofing leather, seasoning cast iron and a thousand other uses. It was considered so valuable it was used as currency and traded as a commodity.

The last time I had bear meat was greater than 30 years ago in chili. So my memory of its quality was mostly faded and clouded in a large amount of seasoning. I remember it being good. Good meaning not offensive enough to trigger a strong negative memory 30 years later.

I was fortunate recently to gain possession of a large amount of bear meat and bear fat. I’ll save the poetry. It’s good. Really good. The cleanest, most rich and flavorful wild game I’ve ever eaten and I’ve eaten a lot. I’m officially really mad at bears and will do everything I can to make Boone look like a kid with a Red Ryder on Christmas Day playing in the back yard.

The following is what happens to a one gallon zip lock freezer bag stuffed full of bear fat.

I have 14 more.

Attachment 86174

Attachment 86175

Attachment 86176

Attachment 86177

Attachment 86178

Attachment 86179
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-25-2023 at 11:39 AM.

And one for the Garden and Gun crowd…

Attachment 86180
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-25-2023 at 11:34 AM.

Fabulous knives!

I thought the word "Fried" was out of your vocabulary? You back to dipping to?
    Low country redneck who moved north

Question, assuming you were part of the processing: do bears have "leaf" fat like a hog?

My brother is on a mission to kill one with a bow. I'm currently on the fence about it until I can confirm I'd want to eat the whole dern thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Question, assuming you were part of the processing: do bears have "leaf" fat like a hog?

My brother is on a mission to kill one with a bow. I'm currently on the fence about it until I can confirm I'd want to eat the whole dern thing.
    Please forgive my ignorance but I don’t know what leaf fat is. So they may have it or not. Not sure. They do have a lot of fat. Mostly back and rump but there’s a lot of it. Especially in the fall.

From my assessment you’ll want to eat the whole thing.

When you clean a deer, it's that thick fat that sticks to the inside of the ribcage, covers the tenderloin. With hogs (domestic, anyway) it's the cleanest, lightest fat. Makes snow white lard if you don't render it too hot. Makes the best biscuits and pie crusts.
    What do you plan on using your grease for?

hey buddy!
    Windows Down!

It makes good pastry shortening, was in high demand years ago. Ned Roberts of the .257 Roberts hunted them with his Uncle Alvaro to sell, meat and rendered lard.

Boone butchered so many one fall at his camp they named the creek, Greasy Creek.
    You'll have a little catching up to do before they call you Greasy Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    When you clean a deer, it's that thick fat that sticks to the inside of the ribcage, covers the tenderloin. With hogs (domestic, anyway) it's the cleanest, lightest fat. Makes snow white lard if you don't render it too hot. Makes the best biscuits and pie crusts.
    What do you plan on using your grease for?
    Gotcha. Yes. It had that fat. I’d love to tell you it got segregated but it went into gen pop with the rest.

We’ll cook with it and use it on our cast iron.

Years ago, I had bear on several occasions on an ~3 week trip all throughout Romania.

I often find many deer cuts to be rather "gamey.". However, I didn't have a problem with any bear dishes.

Too bad there weren't more of them around so we could kill'em, cook'em, and eat'em.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Friends outside TR hunt them. They brought some bear chops to a hunt one weekend and they were fantastic. Almost like lamb in that it's different from other red meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Why don't y'all just eat coons ?

Mama chases them off the porch with a broom.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

My uncles bbq'd a whole one on a pig cooker many years ago when I was a teenager and
    I remember it being real stringy meat but it was good and the sauce they put on it was
    real good but I have no idea what was in it. It was at our hunt club on the coast. Some guys from the
    mountains were invited down and had brought their bear dogs, they killed one and they made the sauce
    and we cooked it on our pig cooker at the club house. It was a big deal
    Last edited by ecu1984; 09-24-2023 at 10:37 PM.

Just got back from the woods. Saw a nice boar. It can't get here fast enough.

My crew in WA State makes some fine pie crust with bear fat. The bears they kill feed heavily on the local Huckleberries and it gives the fat a unique flavor.

Glenn, I hear it makes a great hair product.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Good for your arthritis .
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

He's missing a key ingredient
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Glenn, that's damn cool.
    Rogan talked about this stuff with Clay Newcomb on his podcast. Episode #1674. Fascinating. Some good info.