Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosquitoes

Deer like the middle of bean and cotton fields when mosquitos are bad.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Yesterday, I drove an hour to hunt a bean field I had been waiting on conditions for a month. Got out the truck and sprayed down and put a thermacell in my pocket for the 30 min walk. By the time I was 200 yards from the stand, I had a "cloud" following me. Reached in to turn the thermacell on before I arrived and found out the butane was gone. At that point they were biting through the sweat soaked shirt I was wearing. Got to the edge of the bean field and saw 8-10 deer already there... turned around and went home instead of bogeying it all up even more. Worst I have seen since last year.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I bet it would be easier to catch fugitive convicts this time of year.

A buddy of mine dropped by the farm last weekend and he was speckled all over with blood spots from smashed mosquitoes. Branchville is apparently having a bug bloom. They haven't been quite so bad at my place in Dorchester except in a few choice spots. We've had a ton of rain that might have washed them into the ocean.

I remember my grandfather telling me that gallinippers had multiple bits they could use depending on the thickness of one's clothes.

I went to the cabin this weekend with intentions to let the boys hunt but we had some unexpected work that needed to be done at the cabin so that was nixed. But I could even hardly get the boys to fish the damn things were so bad. No amount of deet was working. Thermacells were okay but they eventually dive bombed in. The boys told me…even if they could hunt, they wouldn’t. That’s pretty bad for this group. Set out some trail cams in the swamp on Sunday and left with no less than 100 bites and I was fully clothed.

Dad's had a "bug tamer" jacket hanging in the closet for years. I always thought it was kind of silly. I used it with a tee shirt but the gallinippers were biting through in places where it was pulled tight like across the shoulders and upper back. The only way to keep them from biting through was two thin "fishing shirts" then the bug tamer. It seems, though, that the gallinipper larvae actually feed on other mosquito larvae so there is a ray of hope that the second generation will just about kill itself off before they even become adults.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

If it’s any kind of warm I’m wearing my Bug Tamer. The bagginess of it helps break up my outline some. I’ve had it for about 20 years. When that tiny little zipper finally breaks, it’s gonna be a bad day.

I've seen one mosquito up there this summer, I killed it, I went dove hunting in SC twice and got torn up. Mosquitos aren't the reason I moved, but it was definitely a +.

Mosquitoes are bad in SC.

Water is wet, fire is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I’ve been in the woods around mcclellanville and the delta the last 2 mornings, and they actually haven’t been bad. More yella flys than skeeters. There’s still plenty of time though.
    More Ducks, Less People

Need to start putting misters on food plots. Keep the deer close and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    I’ve been in the woods around mcclellanville and the delta the last 2 mornings, and they actually haven’t been bad. More yella flys than skeeters. There’s still plenty of time though.
    Yep - the coast hasn't been bad at all. The inland tract of whatever the name of the I hurricane was is where things are really bad.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Mosquitoes are bad in SC.

Water is wet, fire is hot.
    Ohh boo hiss! At least this thread isn't about polling people on some BS or does it have Jimmy anywhere to be found in it. Things are looking up. I even saw dead ducks yesterday and today on here.

These post hurricane mosquitos are conversation worthy dangit.

I remember the days before thermacells. I would not wear smelly bug spray, and every year, I was convinced I could sit still back in the swamps and just take it like a man till a deer showed up. Every year, I’d make it about 20 minutes before I’d start slapping and swatting and eventually leaving and abandoning the swamp hunting till it was cold out.

I remember the year the first big tamers came out. I bought a suit and was excited about being able to slip into
    my favorite spot just off a gas line down by the Wateree River without having to wear bug spray and without getting all sweaty and stinky on my way in. I figured all I needed was the bug tamer suit over a pair of underwear and I’d be cool and protected from the skeeters. I sat still in my stand for approximately 30 seconds before the No-see-ums lit my ass up in an extreme manner. Hadn’t thought about that, and that money was utterly wasted.

Thermacells changed the world, and the inventor should have a Nobel Prize for it.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!