Thread: Yamaha linked to Garmin

Default Yamaha linked to Garmin

I picked up a new to me engine last week, 2016 Yamaha 300, I'll be moving to digital controls. I have two Garmin head units on my dash right now, all of the gauges that were with the old motors are older Yamaha gauges that went with the engines I sold.

I don't know which Garmin units I have, but they have the functions to hook up to the engine. My other option is spend around $900 for the digital Yamaha gauge that I'd mount on my dash.

Aside from losing my gauges if my Garmin units go down, is there any other downside with hooking up to my head units and NOT getting the Yamaha gauge?

I'd ask on HullTruth, but I don't feel like making an account for a new forum.

Not at all....proceed.

Have run them through my XSVs on my last couple boats....4 way split screen if you need more data

Good, that saves me about a grand.

I think its a NMEA2000 cable is what you need? Something along those lines. I had it when I had a suzuki 140 on my east cape flats boat. It works well enough but the fuel reading is a little bit funky and you have to reset it each time. Otherwise for that money savings I would easily go with hooking up to Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I think its a NMEA2000 cable is what you need? Something along those lines. I had it when I had a suzuki 140 on my east cape flats boat. It works well enough but the fuel reading is a little bit funky and you have to reset it each time. Otherwise for that money savings I would easily go with hooking up to Garmin
    I do plan on putting new fuel gauges into the dash, would like to keep those separate and it's pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I do plan on putting new fuel gauges into the dash, would like to keep those separate and it's pretty cheap.
    Once you get the fuel flow dialed in, you'll never look at a fuel guage ever again

That fuel flow is pretty nice. I made a few long runs in that boat from like Charleston to Georgetown or Beaufort for some tournaments and I never ran out of gas by paying attention to those and doing the math.