Thread: Buckshot Stand Knurled Bolts

Default Buckshot Stand Knurled Bolts

My kid had one job after deer season last year, and it was to pick up all the deer stands and put them away for the summer.

He did but he left a couple of the little knurled bolts somewhere between the stand tree, and the shed.

Any idea where I can find or buy some replacements? Stuff I see online is too finely threaded (machine screws) and the actual bolts have more of a lag bolt thread.

I did check the store at buckshotstanddotcom and it appears the threads are machine screws but mine have a thicker thread gap. Also, it bothers me to pay $7.50 each for a glorified bolt.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Can you post a picture of one? Is it just a coarse machine thread or a wood screw? Next to a ruler would be even better.

I have a great Ace hardware store near me that usually has damn near every kind of fastener but your bolt/screw might be a custom made bastard.

I dont have one close to me at the moment and they're two hours away...

It's not as coarse as a wood screw, but not as tight as a machine screw. Looks like a 1/4"x1 1/2".
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'm not familiar with buck shot stands but the Mcmaster-Carr website has had basically everything I've ever needed

20 threads per inch is the standard course thread for 1/4". I'll see what my local store has if I get by there in a the next day or two.

I just ordered replacements from them. Call 910-251-0411.

ETA: Just saw your comment about paying $15 plus shipping to get them replaced. When you get them and everything is right in the world, sometimes it's worth it.
    Last edited by triplebeard; 09-07-2023 at 09:55 AM.

A bolt that my life is literally hanging from is worth $7.50 in my opinion. I agree with TB, just drop the coin for what you know is the correct fit/application.

No Little Brother needs to be making that purchase not Big Brother
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I was expecting this.

I have an older buckshot.

The bolts look different. This is as much about safety as it is getting the right bolt. It annoys me to pay $7.50 for a bolt but...I will if it's the same thread pattern. Concern is use over time the larger threads have wollered out the reception area in the stand and putting a different, tighter thread pattern in there kind of raises a safety issue, at least in my eyes.

Tell you what, when I get the new ones in and verify they are the correct ones, I'll drop my old ones off at your place in town and drink a couple of your beers. They still snugged up tight but had surface rust. I believe they are still good to use. I was replacing everything on mine so I added them to the list.

Even though they look like 1/4", they could be 6mm.

Every shop should have a set of 6" dial calipers and some thread gauges.

BB, they sell the threaded inserts for the v-bars as well.

If worse comes to worse, I'll run a drill bit through it and just use a regular nut and and maybe a wingnut.

Grade 8 bolts are your friend .

Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Grade 8 bolts are your friend .
    This... ^ ... Make sure they are Grade 8 if standard, or 10.9 if metric. Your lives could depend on it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

The thread on the knob assemble of the buck shot is not a standard pitch screw. Buy them from Buck shot. I always keep a couple extra in the truck as they go missing all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I was expecting this.

I have an older buckshot.

The bolts look different. This is as much about safety as it is getting the right bolt. It annoys me to pay $7.50 for a bolt but...I will if it's the same thread pattern. Concern is use over time the larger threads have wollered out the reception area in the stand and putting a different, tighter thread pattern in there kind of raises a safety issue, at least in my eyes.
    The bolts should fit the older stands. Dad has one of the originals from when they first came out and I have a slightly newer one, our bolts are interchangeable.

Also tie the new bolts on with paracord.