Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening day BS (long read)

Default Opening day BS (long read)

I have had the same 4 acre dove field for 27 years, about 12 years ago neighboring farmer sold 10 of his acres to a local guy, he built a nice house with metal roof. I talked with him and we adjusted our stands accordingly, so not to rain on his roof. His house was about 80 yards from corner area we didn’t hunt much-no problem. He sales last year in November to new couple. I heard it had sold, but didn’t think that much about. April rolls around I’m out prepping to plant, see Mr. NO (New Owner)out and go over to introduce myself. They are building a huge barn 30 yards from border, dead center entering flyway, ok with me, it’s their land. I explain our dove field is next door and you will hear a lot of shooting in September, I can text and let you know when we are shooting, since I see the barn and horses. He says no problem, they will be fine, he’s more interested in talking (not hearing anything I’m saying)and trying to buy my field.

Saturday rolls around, 2:45 or so 3 of us walk out onto field. New barn is directly in old stand shooting path so we move stands to property boarder, their side, shooting away from their property. I see Ms.NO at the barn so I yell over, today is opening day and We are getting ready to hunt. She asks for 10 minutes to put the horses up, along with you are not shooting this way are you, I say ok.

10 minutes we start shooting, holy crap. Here she comes almost losing her mind. She has 3 horses and we are giving them a heart attack. Ms. NO, says you have 20 acres why do you have to be shooting/hunting here. I explain 27 plus years, field prep. Etc. still losing her mind, and says you can’t hunt here. I tell her sorry but we are, and why does she have to have her horses right next to the field. Move them to her furtherest pasture (only because she questions our location, hoping she gets the point).

She storms away, here comes Mr. NO, same song and dance. We keep hunting. 15 minutes later they are back, telling one of the group we have to move. Nope, not moving. Here she comes back to me, I calmly explain again and we do make some adjustments to where we are sitting, mostly due to birds flying.

15 minutes later shes back with her phone#, email address saying we should give her 24 hr notice before we hunt and somewhat demanding us to stop at 5:10. We tell her we will stop when finished or everyone limits out, goes off again and leaves. But doesn’t come back.

Anyway, bet you can’t guess what part of the country they are from.

Congrats. You just got Buckeyed.

I imagine they and their horses are going to flinch a tad come rifle deer season.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

You need some tannerite
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I would change the hunt to mornings and have my stand right by the barn! Please keep us updated on the rest of your season with those idiots.

Next time they contact you, make sure you tell them you hate the smell of horse shit and go ahead and ask them to move their barn to the far side of their property.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Next time they contact you, make sure you tell them you hate the smell of horse shit and go ahead and ask them to move their barn to the far side of their property.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

This is golden����
    Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.- Genesis 27:3

I've been told of a story or two like this, but with ducks, where the landowner stealthy put out bait at night and called DNR after the first shot next morning.

Hope they aren't those kind of people.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Hunter harassment is still a thing correct? Call the man and let him handle it. House might be for sale again soon.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

California?
    Ohio?
    Northeast?
    California?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    Hunter harassment is still a thing correct? Call the man and let him handle it. House might be for sale again soon.
    This is exactly what I would do! Go ahead and beat them to the punch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Or you could extend the unnecessary but potentially beneficial courtesy of 24 hour notice and potentially avoid further issues with them.
    Carolina Counsel

It's the south. They need to get used to it. We shoot a lot and then we shoot some more. Merica!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Or you could extend the unnecessary but potentially beneficial courtesy of 24 hour notice and potentially avoid further issues with them.
    This is the plan in general, as long as they don’t do anything crazy. My guess is they don’t have the temperament to leave it with that. We will see.
    Game cameras on the field. Youngest son wants to start a target/clay shooting range, with the tannerite. Not doing that.
    One of her quotes was “when you have land neighbors with horses you have to make alternate plans”. I laughed at her.
    I deer hunt this area also, will not be giving advance notice on that, I don’t make those plans that far in advance, they will just have to deal with it.

Your plans seems perfectly reasonable and I hope they leave you be.
    Carolina Counsel

Everybody wants to move to the country only to be offended by the sights, sounds and smells when they get there and expect it to change.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

I agree with CC on this one. It’s total BS, but maybe give them the courtesy call (24 hour notice) one time just to try and avoid a pissing contest. That said, if I got any lip I’d remind them it’s a free country and that was your one and only time of being overly nice. Her “you have to make alternative plans” comment is absolutely ignorant.
    Last edited by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER; 09-05-2023 at 09:06 PM.

I’d be very careful. These are the kind of people that will bait your field and call DNR. Then they’ll shut you down for 10 days regardless. I’d line the field with game cameras. If they’re pissy enough they’ll talk to other like minded friends and someone will tell them to do that. Or to just dump bait close to the line on their side of property. If they do you’re screwed. Speaking from experience on similar situation. As much as it pisses me off I’d try like hell to win hearts and minds then change to morning hunts.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    It's the south. They need to get used to it. We shoot a lot and then we shoot some more. Merica!
    hopefully they get used to it or move.

I wouldn’t be opposed to the 24hr notice, if my neighbor asked me not to shoot on a particular day for a legitimate reason, or asked for a heads up so they could control animals better I could live with that as long as they understood I was doing it as a courtesy and not asking permission.

I was shooting in my yard at 9pm last night

Had an older gun act up on the dove field last night, brought it home, broke it down and cleaned it and ran some rounds through it to check it out.

Nobody questioned a thing
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...