Thread: Venison Recipes

Default Venison Recipes

So i've been told to stay away from red meat for the most part. The cardiologist has cleared me for venison though as it is so lean and to process or get it processed with no additional fat. Needless to say I love red meat so I am probably going to his this hard. Was wanting yall to post up some of yalls favorite recipes, with pictures if you have them. Just to give me options and alternatives to what I normally do. Please keep in mind that venison sausage will probably not be used much.

Shanks - any lamb stew recipe. We've got 2 deer shanks and 6 wild pig shanks cooking like this right now. House smells great!

Hind quarter roasts - smoked pastrami or seared hard on all sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Cook until medium rare, slice and enjoy. I've also done this and made a chimichurri to drizzle over the slices.

Shoulder meat - braised, shredded, then you have a base to use for any shredded meat recipe you can think of. Carnitas, taco meat, chile verde, salads, etc.

Chunks of stew meat - gumbo

Ground - chili, ragu, shepherds pie, sloppy joe, bolognese, pesto meatballs

Cubed meat- cook just like chicken/veal parm.

If you take it to a processor, have them make the burger with 0% fat added. I've been getting mine that way and it still makes great hamburgers. It also works great for spaghetti sauce or any other casserole that needs burger. I add seasoned deer burger directly to my spaghetti sauce and there's none of that layer of grease on the top.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

google "recipes with burger in them"
    replace "cow" w "deer"
    repeat

agree on the many uses of cubed.
    i'd buy a grinder.
    and, i guess, a cuber.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have a grinder. Dont have a cuber.....yet

Two problems with the way most people cook meat, and this includes deer.

1)They either cook it too long or 2) they don't cook it long enough.

Stay outside the slot and you should be fine.

Use the search function to find Glenn's recipe for back straps. I use it every time and it turns out perfect
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Bottom rim of a coffee mug makes a fine "cuber".

I'd get a meat slicer before a cuber. Take a top round roast, rub with salt, pepper, and a little cayenne. Smoke at 300 or so until 115*, wrap with foil until 135*. Let rest 30 minutes then shave against the grain with the slicer. Save jus from foil and pour over sliced meat. Serve on white bread or a good hamburger bun.

I just cube a bunch up, cut it into strips, remove any silver skin then soak it in salt water for an hour or so in the fridge. Flour, salt, pepper, garlic and mix it all together. Quick dip in the milk then into the flour then into the fry daddy. Only takes a few minutes to cook. Like others said, watch it carefully or you will over cook it quickly. This with some rice and milk gravy made from scratch, limas and some field peas or black eyed peas and some rolls and it won't get much better than that.
    Last edited by mrtroy4man; 08-31-2023 at 05:53 PM.
    every expert was once a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    I just cube a bunch up, cut it into straps, remove any silver skin then soak it in salt water for an hour or so in the fridge. Flour, salt, pepper, garlic and mix it all together. Quick dip in the milk then into the flour then into the fry daddy. Only takes a few minutes to cook. Like others said, watch it carefully or you will over cook it quickly. This with some rice and milk gravy made from scratch, limas and some field peas or black eyed peas and some rolls and it won't get much better than that.
    Just make sure those limas, field peas and black eyeds are Margaret Holmes and you’re good to go.
    Carolina Counsel

Considering your are under recommendation to add no additional fat, I would just do roasts in a Dutch oven or crock pot. I put the shoulder (after cutting shank off) in Dutch kettle and wait until it falls off the bone. It is absolutely fantastic. Other cuts would work to the equivalent effect.

I would guess you could make a jerky as well that would fit around the recommendations as well. Just heavier on pepper in lieu of salt.

Reverse sear recipes for backstraps. They make great jerky as well!

Take the backstrap, cut it into quarter inch pieces, marinate in a blend of Coke and red wine 70/30 for three days. Wrap with bacon throw it over charcoal the best tasting backstrap ever.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Just make sure those limas, field peas and black eyeds are Margaret Holmes and you’re good to go.
    Margaret Holmes does make some good out of the can veggies. These came from a produce stand in Bamberg, think it might have been Pappys produce but let me tell you what, you can't beat the fresh ones.
    every expert was once a beginner

I process my own...lots of folks grind the shoulder but I take the time to separate the muscles and cut a lot of it for stroganoff meat and it can also be used to for fajitas. I bought a hand crank cuber probably 20 years ago still us it and love it.

Front shoulder cut in 1/2 or thirds with a bone saw (think butt/picnic/shank on a hog) makes great roasts for the Dutch oven too.

Yeah a lot of these ideas sound great but the whole add salt then drop in a fry daddy is a hard pass for me. Cardiologist would kill me if that didn’t. They said I have to stay away from real fried foods, but an air fryer is acceptable. Not sure how well an air fryer works as I’ve always used real peanut oil.

Venison backstraps cooked medium rare on a hot grill with a sprinkle of seasoned coarse-grained salt can keep you from missing beef steak. We rarely eat steaks or any beef anymore, just because I always have a surplus of deer meat. An occasional filet mignon is a rare treat and hard to beat though.

If you are near Mt. Pleasant, New York Butcher sells a steak spice mix that is better than any concoction I've ever been able to put together. They also sell a pork rub spice mix that is better than any pork rub I've ever tried.

I can't tolerate deep fried food anymore without getting heart burn that makes me consider suicide. Fried food is very hard to digest. I can come close enough to the deep fried taste by dredging fish in panko crumbs and pan searing in a smidge of ghee. It's light enough that is doesn't smother the flavor of the fish too. Try some sheepshead filets that way and you will abandon deep fried fish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Allens or Trappeys will do in a pinch, right?