Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it hot out here or is it just your mom?

How much to rent your dog for a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    See the below that was copied from the above...

It's a push. See above for placement of alcohol. Heat transfer occurs at the ear pinnas, mouth and bottoms of feet. Alcohol the ear pinnas (flaps) and bottoms of feet and put in direct cool airflow.

Don't alcohol the mouth unless you're about to dig a bullet out western style or you want your dog to look at you like you've lost your mind.
    Sorry my reading comprehension sucks. I was focused on the disagreeing with water deal.

To the rest of you assholes, go pound sand.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I’ve never understood why people take dogs to Labor Day dove shoots anyway. I’ve shot doves on Labor Day weekend for the past 30 something years and I can count on 1 hand how many dogs I saw on those shoots perform like you’d want a dog to.

Most of it is just dumbasses yelling at their fat out of shape labs or their Boykins that ain’t never listened to a damn thing their owner/handler said in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Check the weather much?

IMG_9068.jpg

this is confusing as fuck

first off, the OP likes cats.
    Secondly, the highlighted portion is the part you are NOT supposed to follow.
    C-everyone keeps asking questions that are in the copied portion.
    IVth--I take my boykin every year and only wackem is the only one paying attention to the weather.

Go Trump!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

heat stroke has always been my biggest fear. I now take two dogs. load them in dog box on my polaris. they get parked at the tree line and i swap them out as needed. hot dogs go into box with a gallon jug of frozen water with the fans running. It also helps that they are 20 pound cockers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

turncoat
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by wcrites307 View Post
    heat stroke has always been my biggest fear. I now take two dogs. load them in dog box on my polaris. they get parked at the tree line and i swap them out as needed. hot dogs go into box with a gallon jug of frozen water with the fans running. It also helps that they are 20 pound cockers.
    Beautiful lil dogs.

I have quail hunted over some real nice Cockers in SW GA . They are fun to watch.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Cali’s old man hunts a cocker that size named Jack. He has a split personality
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Don't they all.

Our last Boykin was super cool. (When she wanted to be).
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Cali’s old man hunts a cocker that size named Jack. He has a split personality
    tehe
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Great advice.

If your dog lives indoors and doesnt go outside any other time besides mornings and evenings when you're comfortable, dont take him on the opener and expect him to perform like he's been heat conditioned.
    This! Mine are spoiled inside dogs and I know it. We train in the morning and at night but there is no way I'd take them on a hot and humid opener. Hell, maybe the entire first season.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Beautiful lil dogs.

I have quail hunted over some real nice Cockers in SW GA . They are fun to watch.
    Curious what places you’ve hunted. I’ve hunted over some nice cockers all over S GA. My brother has a couple cockers from Gary Linnenkohl
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 08-30-2023 at 08:55 AM.

About 11 years ago, I took my son's 90 pound yellow Lab dove hunting on an 83 degree cloudy windy day. He had already hunted a couple times and was in decent shape. About the 10th retrieve he started breathing funny and I yelled to the guy next to me to let the hunt master know. He hurriedly came and we loaded him up and got him in the shade and got a hose with cool water running on him and he was fine.

The next week had exactly the same conditions, 83 and cloudy with a good breeze. He was breathing a little hard and on the final bird, he fell over while going to the bird. We were in a different field and I could only get him to shade and only had some water from a few people's coolers to put on him. I put him in the air conditioned truck and left for home. By the time I got home he was almost unresponsive. We rushed him to the emergency vet clinic off Piney Grove Road. They told us he had less than a 5% chance of making it through the night. but required a payment of close to $1000 to keep him overnight. He did make it through the night and was transferred into Dr. Feeder's (?) care. He styed there for 8 nights and many times we were told he would not make it out of there. It severely affected his kidneys and he did not pee untill like the 5th day.

When I finally took him home after paying them over $3000 total and $400 for medicine, he only lived another year and died from kidney failure from this event. Dr. Feeder found that the cause of his problems was a paralyzed larynx and said it was fairly common in Labs but seemed to be more common in yellow Labs. He said he could possibly repair it for another $1500 or so, I said I just won't hunt him in warm temps and hunt him mainly on ducks and winter doves. He was a very good dog that died way to young.

I do not hunt my dogs when it is warmer than 88 degrees and hate to see people bring an out of shape, overweight dog to a 95 degree dove hunt. It literally is killing your dog. I love dogs and hate to see them suffer. Please think of them and leave them at home on hot days.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

I have a large umbrella that screws into the ground. It blocks the sun for the dog and me.

It helps but picking your shot, pausing in-between shooting to allow rest, leashing to avoid a wounded bird retrieve, and monitoring labored breathing is critical.

Dogs only know one speed.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 08-30-2023 at 10:15 AM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I've had a close call that quickly changed my tune on this. Not even close to being worth it for me anymore. I have no problem walking to pick up a few birds. To many cold morning shoots to be had to take a gamble on killing a dog in the heat.

This does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^Just don't close the lid to keep the cool air in...

I sit in the shade and keep the truck close by. I don't take any chances and throw his ass in the truck with AC on high at the slightest hint of him even getting hot.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    About 11 years ago, I took my son's 90 pound yellow Lab dove hunting on an 83 degree cloudy windy day. He had already hunted a couple times and was in decent shape. About the 10th retrieve he started breathing funny and I yelled to the guy next to me to let the hunt master know. He hurriedly came and we loaded him up and got him in the shade and got a hose with cool water running on him and he was fine.

The next week had exactly the same conditions, 83 and cloudy with a good breeze. He was breathing a little hard and on the final bird, he fell over while going to the bird. We were in a different field and I could only get him to shade and only had some water from a few people's coolers to put on him. I put him in the air conditioned truck and left for home. By the time I got home he was almost unresponsive. We rushed him to the emergency vet clinic off Piney Grove Road. They told us he had less than a 5% chance of making it through the night. but required a payment of close to $1000 to keep him overnight. He did make it through the night and was transferred into Dr. Feeder's (?) care. He styed there for 8 nights and many times we were told he would not make it out of there. It severely affected his kidneys and he did not pee untill like the 5th day.

When I finally took him home after paying them over $3000 total and $400 for medicine, he only lived another year and died from kidney failure from this event. Dr. Feeder found that the cause of his problems was a paralyzed larynx and said it was fairly common in Labs but seemed to be more common in yellow Labs. He said he could possibly repair it for another $1500 or so, I said I just won't hunt him in warm temps and hunt him mainly on ducks and winter doves. He was a very good dog that died way to young.

I do not hunt my dogs when it is warmer than 88 degrees and hate to see people bring an out of shape, overweight dog to a 95 degree dove hunt. It literally is killing your dog. I love dogs and hate to see them suffer. Please think of them and leave them at home on hot days.
    If your dog wacked out at 83 and cloudy how did you settle on 88? I don’t go run sprints at 88, but I’m not a dog? FWIW I had a lab go through he same thing at 82 on he 4th bird of the day. Weekend before was fine all day at 83.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Curious what places you’ve hunted. I’ve hunted over some nice cockers all over S GA. My brother has a couple cockers from Gary Linnenkohl
    I love watching those dogs take off the wagon.
    IMG_6305.jpg