Thread: Dealing with Pigweed this late in the season

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Default Dealing with Pigweed this late in the season

I have a couple plots that are part of ag fields. Pigweed wasn't an issue in these plots previously, but evidently got spread by the combine last year. The plots were planted in oats and crimson clover last fall and left fallow this summer. A fairly heavy stand of goosegrass and barnyard grass volunteered this summer and apparently shaded out any pigweed from sprouting.

Around the first of August the farmer sprayed these plots with Liberty while spraying beans. The plots were completely dead two weeks ago, but as of yesterday they have sprouted several patches of Palmer amaranth pigweed. Plants are 12-14" tall and already have flower heads on many of them. In other places I'm seeing more plants that have sprouted but not gotten as big.

I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to keep them from producing viable seed and also not release any more seed that is in the seedbank. I plan to plant oats and crimson again in about a month, but from what I understand, the pigweed will have produced viable seed by that time.

Options appear to be spray it now and possibly again before planting, disc it up now and again before planting or is there something else I can do to keep from making the situation worse?

I have no experience with Liberty herbicide but will it not be a problem for your grain and clover germination?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Liberty has no soil residual.

Spot spray paraquat or heavy blend of 24D and roundup

While we're on this subject, will pre emergent prevent late season piqweed from coming up? I didn't have any early summer and then it blew up everydamnwhere.

I've read some things about Zidua? And also Liberty which is post emergent

Yeah when I called the farmer to ask what he sprayed he mentioned zidua, but said he didn't include it in these fields because the beans were close enough to canopy that he didn't think he needed residual there.

Main thing with asking the question is I'm trying to think of how to treat it without getting in the plots and spreading it around even more. It's not everywhere yet. The farmer doesn't want to come back with a boom sprayer to screw around with a few acres, which I totally get. That means tracking through it with a smaller tractor and potentially spreading more seed by either spraying or discing.

It's possible there is enough thatch to get a fire to carry across it. I didn't really think about burning it yesterday when I was looking at it to see how the thatch is in the spots where it is coming up.

If it is already seeded out and you don't want it spread you need to get out there and pull it all by hand and get it out the field. Pretty much your only option
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Zidua ain't cheap.

I'm learning to live with some pigweed until someone invents something new.. or I can find a sorcerer to wave a stick at it. It's not pretty, bothers me looking at idiots trying to find birds, but doves don't care.

And it's ugly, no alibis

Grazon with a lotta surfactant. And roundup so the summer grass won't keep your disc from doing its job in 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Grazon with a lotta surfactant. And roundup so the summer grass won't keep your disc from doing its job in 3 weeks
    Won’t be no clover there this year or the farmers soybeans/cotton next year. That shit will make it through 4 stomachs and still work.
    cut\'em

"Pshhhh"
    -me