Thread: JD 5203 no crank/no start.

Default JD 5203 no crank/no start.

Bush hugged for several hours. Shut down to eat supper, and won't start when I returned.
    Fuses checked. Cleaned all ground connections that I know of(under seat, at firewall, and batter cable at both ends).

Signal wire at starter relay is hot with ignition ON, then goes open when switch is turned to start. This is why I went straight to checking grounds. Next step seems to be replacing ignition switch.

Anything I'm missing? I hate throwing parts at an electrical problem, especially as simple as this system seems to be, but the 2300+ page technical manual offers zero help with wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Bush hugged for several hours. Shut down to eat supper, and won't start when I returned.
    Fuses checked. Cleaned all ground connections that I know of(under seat, at firewall, and batter cable at both ends).

Signal wire at starter relay is hot with ignition ON, then goes open when switch is turned to start. This is why I went straight to checking grounds. Next step seems to be replacing ignition switch.

Anything I'm missing? I hate throwing parts at an electrical problem, especially as simple as this system seems to be, but the 2300+ page technical manual offers zero help with wiring.
    There is a thing under the tractor that can catch on a bush that will cause the issue you are having when you shut it down. As aggravating as that damned thing is, you would think I would remember what it is called, but I am old and forgetful. I have a picture of it on my old phone and if I can find that thing, I will post it for you...

Turn the lights on and then try starting it. If the lights go out then battery or big wire connections. If they stay bright probably ignition switch or little wire problem.

PTO still engaged? Mine has a switch I pull out. If it’s pulled, mine does the same until it’s disengaged.

Check to see if it’s blowing the fuse in the box between your feet when you turn the key.
    Happened to ours and the fuse marked “spare” was blowing. Think it was a 20a.

If that’s happening it’s likely the coolant sensor. Known problem on these tractors.

I got it fellas. Thanks for the replies.

PTO switch dropped a machine screw and was out of place.

At least my grounds are good for another 20 years...

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    At least my grounds are good for another 20 years...
    That’s always a good thing
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Does it have fuel?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Good job Curlee.

Had a New Holland TC 40 kick my ass for continuity going open. Relay in the fuse box behind cover underneath the steering wheel had corrosion on the terminals female side(fuse block)

Didn’t check it because relay was switching because I had power.
    More fuel = more boost!!