Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat index is bullshit

Default Heat index is bullshit

I have lived my whole life in Charleston County. When I was a kid and it got to 95 degrees, it was hot as hell and the humidity made it worse. Nowadays, 95 is still hot as hell and humidity makes it worse. You don't get heat here without high humidity to go with it.

So what are they saying when the heat index "feels like" temperature is 110? If I had grown up in Arizona where there's no humidity and it got to 110, it would feel like 95 in Charleston? If Charleston suddenly dried up and the temp hit 95, would it feel like 95 in Arizona? It's all a bunch of bullshit to make the numbers sound more dramatic, just like all the other names they make up like "polar vortex", "king tides", "wolf moon", "atmospheric river", blah blah blah, etc.

I was in Texas last week down around San Antonio and Corpus Christi. I was in the very high 90's all week and pretty hot but I sweated more walking from the CHS terminal to the parking garage than I did all week in Texas. Jungle heat is less comfortable than desert heat.

It was 101 on the thermometer of my truck when I drove through North Charleston this afternoon.

You would think the yankees would go home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

About 20 years ago, I was working on an industrial site, jeans, dark colored Tshirt, steel toes and hardhat, on asphalt. We had to pour 8yds of concrete on a retaining wall. The idiot PM decided that we needed to wheelbarrow that up an incline at 2:00 in the afternoon when it was 98 degrees. My help was two 65yo men. With concrete in that heat, we didn't have time for water breaks. We got about 3yds in and were in trouble. The main superintendent called and I told him what was going on. He sent more help immediately. That evening when I headed home I stopped to get a Gatorade and drank it, when I stepped out of my truck I puked it up immediately. I was beyond sweating, cramping and prickly all over. The next thing I remember was Emily standing over me as I lay on the floor locked up. Heat exhaustion, heat stroke, heat something and serious dehydration. I had seized up and collapsed. Since then, I can go most days if I start early in the morning and build into it through the day but can't start outside in the heat of the day.

Hot is hot, just be careful in it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    I wonder how many of the "new Floridians" are going to panic when the first tropical storm lines up on their new home.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    We can only hope!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

It was so hot earlier this weak that the cold waters lines ran thru attic was as hot as the hot water side of the sink. Not warm but hot as hell.

It took several minutes to flush and get cold water to the faucet.

Been mowing the grass and cleaning out the vehicles today here in Oh-ree.

Feels great.

I was slow to get outside today because of my weather app telling me the world was melting.
    Got outside and it just felt like summer.

Feels like. Aka your sweat won’t evaporate and cool you. Sweating doesn’t cool you, it’s evaporation cools you.

I still remember reporting to Fort Sill OK in august for basic training. Temperature was the same but, it felt a whole lot nicer.

Never got swamp ass there. Salt stains yes, but no swamp ass.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Yeah.. after all of my normal Sunday morning routine stuff, I decided not play today. Bird season ain't in yet, so around noon I hit balls for around two hours, then came home and pushed my yard. Finished in time to light up the egg and grill a mess of thighs. It doesn't bother me, I just drink more water. My father actually played today, seven days in a row.. I can't imagine being southerner and openly complaining about the heat as to where yankees can hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Feels like. Aka your sweat won’t evaporate and cool you. Sweating doesn’t cool you, it’s evaporation cools you.

I still remember reporting to Fort Sill OK in august for basic training. Temperature was the same but, it felt a whole lot nicer.

Never got swamp ass there. Salt stains yes, but no swamp ass.
    I went to basic at Jackson, June 1st to August 1st. My battle buddy was from Alaska, I probably laughed everyday about his comments.

Buncha Women folk....
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

This was the only place I felt trumped our humidity.. Ecuador, an hour helicopter ride in from the coast, into the jungle. I was down during monsoon season. The only part the bugged me is that I brought all old style jungle boots.. after the first few days, I switched to duck boots. Their bugs were a "f" of a lot bigger, but things like that don't bother me either because I'm a man.

Screenshot_20210813-162233_Samsung Internet.jpg

I’ve been working for the same company the past 24 years. Up until 2008 the majority of my working hours were outside in jeans, long sleeve shirts, hard hat and steel toe boots. I could handle the heat with the occasional water break. Last week I was helping out at one of the plants in Columbia and I wasn’t as acclimated as I used to be.
    Only time I’ve had the monkey jump on me was one weekend at the hunt club running a tractor all day without taking water breaks. I ended up with heat exhaustion
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I mean hot is hot but I don’t know how you say heat index is BS. I personally notice a huge difference when it’s low humidity versus high humidity. Very rarely this time of year but sometimes earlier it is hot with a dry atmosphere that doesn’t feel nearly as bad. I personally notice a tremendous difference when the humidity levels are high. Dry (think Palm Springs, Ca) type heat beats the heck out of our humid August heat. I respectfully disagree.

Hot is hot!
    I've done SW Texas in the summer and this is far worse here for sure.
    Just drink cold water non stop which is good practice anyway.
    Don't be a dumbass and grind on through the dog days!
    It's shrimping season and Tarpon season and almost doves season in deer season. It's just that time of year
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

18 holes, 1 gallon of water, and two Gatorade zeroes. Didn’t piss once. Weren’t all that bad

I have been in the heat a lot lately.

I fill a 30 oz yeti and a knock off gallon size. The big one stays in the truck and the other in the cup holder on equipment.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by SCBUCKSLAYER View Post
    I mean hot is hot but I don’t know how you say heat index is BS. I personally notice a huge difference when it’s low humidity versus high humidity. Very rarely this time of year but sometimes earlier it is hot with a dry atmosphere that doesn’t feel nearly as bad. I personally notice a tremendous difference when the humidity levels are high. Dry (think Palm Springs, Ca) type heat beats the heck out of our humid August heat. I respectfully disagree.
    It may not be BS but it's still mostly the media trying to sensationalize this climate change crap. Everybody's been talking about the heat but I don't believe we've even broken 100 this year around here. It also felt like we were living in Washington all the way up to about a week or two before July 4th.
    Craziest thing I remember seeing a few years ago was a guy sandblasting parts for a water tower they were building. It was about 102 that day and he was in a full body suit including a hood at about 3:00 in the afternoon.

I was playing golf in Columbia the day it set an all-time high of 110. All four phones went off with alerts. We thought it was a mistake because it wasn’t that bad. Hell, we weren’t sweating and no one had complained of the heat. We were on the 10th hole when we received the alert.

We later realized the humidity was ridiculously low for that time of year and accepted the fact a dry heat isn’t that bad. Give me 110 with low humidity over or with high humidity any day.

That is exactly how heat index works. You can look up a chart online. 110 with no humidity is not feel like 110. It feels much less. So yes, 110 and Arizona is probably like 90 something in SC.