Thread: Painting an outboard

Default Painting an outboard

Finally broke down and put a new prop on my Yamaha 25 stroke and decided to repaint the mid and lower unit. Skeg was in pretty rough shape just from years of sand and oyster banks. Also had to heat the foot up last year to get the bearing carrier out to replace the prop seal so that paint was badly discolored.

I degreased it, sanded with 600 grit, applied zinc chromate primer to any bare aluminum, waited 24 hrs, sanded again, and applied 3 coats colorite Yamaha color match, and 2 coats Moeller clear coat per label instructions.

I’m having issues with paint peeling behind the prop. First photo. Already tried to re sand and touch this up but same thing happened again. Also the paint just doesn’t seem very durable. Second pic is scratching/indents from a loosely fitted cover. Any kind of pressure seems so take the paint off.

What did I do wrong? Where do I go from here? Is this fixable or do I need professional help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More Ducks, Less People

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More Ducks, Less People

Is that color rite an enamel paint?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Spray paints don’t have a catalyst to cure/harden. IMO unfortunately spray paint doesn’t always work well below the water line because it will stay soft, especially when sprayed thick

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Is that color rite an enamel paint?
    I’m not sure. It was this stuff. https://www.colorrite.com/product/ya...-dbn1-1806.cfm
    More Ducks, Less People