Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 blackout thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Five Oh View Post
    I only shoot subsonic in mine. I use it in places that may be close to houses when I dont want to shoot the bow. The 190 subx have been solid performers. I try to take bow shot type angles, broadside or quartering away. Or the head. We used it shooting deer over the summer as well and most of them would die within 50 yards.
    Did you get pass throughs on the broadside shots? I've only taken neck shots with subs.

TX,
    If you look close you can see the exit hole from Sierra GameChanger. I've been happy with them.
    Attachment 85254

Barnes tac tx if not shooting subs
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

110gr Barnes tac tx or 120gr Sierra bt for deer. Skip the rest.

I feel it's only viable in an Ar15. And even then only with a suppressor.

I feel it's stupid compared to a 308. Compare supersonic with same weight bullets. 110gr 308 loads have similar recoil but flatter trajectory and enhanced performance. Subs are same speed and same projectiles and perform identical.

You don't have to buy a lot of high-performance 300blk to be ahead reloading it. It's cheaper to load 308.

Quote Originally Posted by BachelorJack View Post
    110gr Barnes tac tx or 120gr Sierra bt for deer. Skip the rest.

I feel it's only viable in an Ar15. And even then only with a suppressor.

I feel it's stupid compared to a 308. Compare supersonic with same weight bullets. 110gr 308 loads have similar recoil but flatter trajectory and enhanced performance. Subs are same speed and same projectiles and perform identical.

You don't have to buy a lot of high-performance 300blk to be ahead reloading it. It's cheaper to load 308.

Without the AR platform, the 300 Blackout is sort of dumb. Even dumber if not in an AR or not running suppressed. It's a specialty cartridge that really only exists because it functions in the AR without a whole lot of extra concessions. I mean JD Jones created the .300 Whisper for use with really high BC bullets shot sub-sonic (essentially the 300 BO without paying royalties to Jones). Probably saw more use on the Contender platform being shot supersonic though. It makes sense on the Contender platform as a single shot pistol round as the case can be pretty efficient in shorter barrels.

It's not much different than the 30-30 or 7.62x39, with the 30-30 making its living in a lever gun (though bolt guns did exist) and the 7.62x39 existing because of the SKS/AK.

83266871-3367-469C-9104-D61A42ACA1B6.jpg5F41B59A-3BEC-4FAE-B41D-A7E96BE33891.jpgIt is perfect for my daughter in that little scout. That small single shot was limited in calibers. I wanted something with minimum recoil and cheap to feed. The rifle is tiny.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

The 300 whisper was created to take out centuries even wearing body armor. Very quietly with one shot.

I remember the formation of the BO and Kevin and Silvers trying to get around Jones. Noveske had made some original barrels that would run either the BO or whisper. It was 7.5 or 8" I cant recall. That is still a more accurate platform than any of my other 300 BO's

I'm excited about the 8.6 BO it is what the 300 should have been. I've had some set backs, but I've played enough to know it is a bad round. Especially with these babies in it.
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TTrAra-97I8
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Paw Paw could tell ya!
    If You Bait them They Will Come!

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

100 yards on a wart hog......baby!
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

My Cerekoted receiver & barrel finally got finished yesterday. Granted, there were some hiccups, but it was offered to be made right at a later date.

I hope to sight it in with my 110gr V-Max supers at about 75 yards (and worry about subs when the can arrives).

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 08-24-2023 at 05:25 PM.

Anyone shot a deer with the 110 vmaxes? Curious how they held up. Ive got a pile of them and if they dont blow all apart on impact i might try one out in a few weeks and save the money i was gonna spend on barnes
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Who did the Cerakote USMC? And what were the hiccups?
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 08-24-2023 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Who did the Cerakote USMC? And what were the hiccups?
    Amick's (near the airport). However, I'll mention that some things were understandable, while some were not... The owner is going through medical issues with his dad. It sucks, it really does. I understand that, and I sympathize with him.

The bad: 5 weeks, poor communication once they had the parts, stating the brake, bolt release, and rail were off the weapon awaiting the paint (when in reality, only the rail was removed, but got coated anyways because the person painting it didn't know), lost paint in the mail (shit happens, I get it, but reach out or empower your staff to reach out in your absence), and simple rudeness when I asked about tracking info/timeline: I understand how to track and work out projects. You will be completed as soon as it arrives. That was the response I got after 4 weeks had passed.

The good: awesome communication before the parts were dropped off (could have been to due the timeline of father's ailments), standing manager offering to re-coat the parts black at a later date at no charge, and quality of finish. (As this is just cosmetic, I'm pretty sure I won't deal with the hassle.)

That's an honest assessment. Again, circumstances suck for the owner. I get it, and I'm empathetic. However, nearly every aspect could have been handled better and in a more professional matter.

It seems like "under promise & over deliver" is a thing of the past. In this day and age, for a private business, that's a risky line to cross...

I'm in the process of building an AR in 300 with an 8.5 inch barrel - this is around the barrel length that takes the most advantage of the rounds performance (IMO). I'm doing it not because I have a specific need, but but because it pleases me. The general specs: Side folding stock, basic red dot optic, barrel will have a SilencerCo Saker 762 suppressor more or less always on it (may tack weld it) with the handguard extending out well over the can. Should be a fun gun and may get used for home defense and VERY close range deer whacking.

I also have developed an interest in the 8.6 BO, because it seems to perform so far out of proportion to it's paper performance. Anytime you are using a 1:2 or 1:3 twist it's gonna be weird.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

FWIW, I sighted in the Ruger (and a few other projects) today.

After dialing it in with the 110gr V-Max ammo (brand is "On Target Ammunition"), I had a 3-shot group with 2 in nearly the same hole and the other one touching.

I'm quite pleased with the rifle & scope combo; I'm looking forward to seeing how the rounds do with flesh.

Distance was 103m.

It was hot AF.

Last edited by USMCsilver; 08-26-2023 at 06:35 PM.

Just ordered a PSA deal 300, my first ever evil black rifle. Hope they halfway decent or it will be for sale.
    Low country redneck who moved north

In the last year I've been selling more 300 BO than any other rifle.
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 08-26-2023 at 05:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.