Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting in Orangeburg Tuesday

Noon cut off is ridiculous.

give it time.
    the day is still young
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Couple notes from the crowd.
    Maybe 75-100 people showed up
    Seemed like most support a shorter season pushed back to early April, supported 2 bird limit, supported ban on reaping and male turkey decoys.

They are going to limit afternoon hunting.

They are going to mirror North Carolina season due to its successes

Couple notes from the presentation:

They sold 95k sets of tags. Only 50k said they hunted turkeys.

Approximately 20 days a field per turkey

Poult recruitment is still below 2 which is not sustainable long term.

They want dominant hens to breed dominant Tom’s early because they typical have successful nest.

They did a coyote study in the early summer and pcr tested the feces they collected and reported 8-9% turkey dna in the samples and 70% of the samples had deer.

They also showed a study following about 1000 nest across the south East 740 ish failed. They didn’t really provide a good explanation as to why before I had to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by holdin down the fort View Post
    Couple notes from the crowd.
    Maybe 75-100 people showed up
    Seemed like most support a shorter season pushed back to early April, supported 2 bird limit, supported ban on reaping and male turkey decoys.

They are going to limit afternoon hunting.

They are going to mirror North Carolina season due to its successes
    No one said "they are going to limit afternoon hunting".....
    Why y'all keep focusing on this is beyond me.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    No one said "they are going to limit afternoon hunting".....
    Why y'all keep focusing on this is beyond me.
    They didn’t say it directly but alluded to it pretty strongly.

No they simply presented the information just like everything else. Jay did not insinuate in any way that they were going to push for an afternoon cut off.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    No they simply presented the information just like everything else. Jay did not insinuate in any way that they were going to push for an afternoon cut off.
    I think they showed a slide and showed 22% of harvest was in the afternoon and mentioned this could be a tool to reduce harvest. But maybe I am remembering it wrong

Would you say they insinuated they are going to advise pushing back the season. Or am I wrong in my assumption

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    That's nothing more than DNR's F U to us for getting Sunday hunting on public land passed. They're so mad that now we get to utilize most of our public land the way almost every state in America does.
    What? I thought you were all for reducing pressure. A noon cutoff would dramatically reduce pressure.
    Carolina Counsel

You are right about the slide he did say it is a tool that "could be" used.
    However, that does not insinuate it is something they are going to pursue nor was it alluded to any stronger than the other data that was presented. You are making more out of this than is there.

Thank you for sharing that data.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    What? I thought you were all for reducing pressure. A noon cutoff would dramatically reduce pressure.
    I have never been in favor of shortening our season. Nor would I until other measures, which data suggest will save plenty of turkeys and improve breeding success, have been tried and we still are seeing a steep decline.

The goal here is not to just eliminate turkey hunting opportunity. The goal is to try and preserve the opportunity and, at the same time, fix the poult survival issue.

What I did say is that starting the season later in April and letting it run into May would, as a positive side effect, reduce some pressure on a declining population of birds. For one, all the surrounding state hunters won't be flocking (pun intended) here to hunt a season that opens 2-3 weeks before their season. And, two, the warmer temps may keep some people home after the first week or so.

I was surprised at how little effort out of state hunters affected our harvest rate. Only 10percent if I remember correctly and the majority of them were from NC.
    A later start date would mirror their season and probably reduce their coming here even more
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    no. just messin
    Good I was about to get all up in my feelings that you didn't say hello
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I’d hate to see a noon cutoff, I do like an afternoon bird

When is the upstate meeting?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    I was surprised at how little effort out of state hunters affected our harvest rate. Only 10percent if I remember correctly and the majority of them were from NC.
    A later start date would mirror their season and probably reduce their coming here even more
    I’d be willing to bet the Charlotte metro area accounts for the majority of NC out of state hunters. Most of us lease or own land in SC as our primary hunting property. Heck I’ve been looking for land to hunt in NC for years without much luck. The last two years my in-state NC hunts have all been with outfitters in far eastern NC

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I’d hate to see a noon cutoff, I do like an afternoon bird

When is the upstate meeting?
    Starts at 6:30 tomorrow night.

July 27: Greenville Technical College Barton Campus, University Transfer Auditorium; 506 S. Pleasantburg Drive; Greenville, SC 29607.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    I read somewhere that our SCDNR gets more operating funds from OOS licenses than they do instate licenses. Careful pushing off the OOS'ers unless you want to find support what they were chipping in. Think more than double current licenses and fees.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

So if over 75% of nests are failing and roughly 10% of predation is coyotes, it seems to me the problem we should be looking at is what other issues are causing nest failure? Harvests aside, we have got to figure out how to get that failure rate dropping. Can someone educate me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk