Thread: SoftTopper Camper Top

Default SoftTopper Camper Top

I bought this topper back in March before I headed to SC for my annual turkey hunt. I had a turkey mount over at Johnny Griggs I needed to bring back to Wyoming with me and a turkey mount I had in Indiana I also needed to tote back to Wyoming. I needed to be able to shelter them from the weather and wind. I thought they'd both fit in the bed of my truck...laugher. After realizing I was going to have to pay a small fortune for a hard top that I would not like and that it would take months to actually get a decent hard top, I found these. They are called Soft Toppers and are made right down the road from me in Boulder, CO. I placed my order online, and they placed it on my front doorstep in less than 7 days. I had my dealership install it when I took my truck in for a service, and I think they charged me $40 to do the install...I gave them $100, because I could tell they had a bit more trouble getting it installed than they had anticipated. Folks online say it's a bit of a PITA, but they all say that one guy with decent tools and moderate man stuff skills can do it in a little over an hour.

But screw the installation part...It only cost me 980.00, so a fraction of the money you save by not buying a hard top can go to getting someone to install it for you. I waited till now to give feedback on this thing to make sure I'd put it through its paces.

It's badass. It actually looks good. I've driven it from Wyo to SC to IN to WY. I've driven it up to NoDAK (always make that trip from midnight to 0600 and I'm doing 90-100mph the majority of the way. It's hailed golfball sized hailstones on it. It's hailed pea to quarter sized hail on it a LOT this spring and summer. It is as rock solid as it was on day one...which is surprisingly rock freaking solid.

I have not folded it down yet, but you can get inside and remove a couple of pins, unzip the back and sides, and it will fold forward to the front of the bed so that you can use the truck like a truck without having to have a lift, a couple of willing buds, and a set of saw horses to set your hard top on. You can remove the entire shebang minus the mounting brackets and store it against a wall in the garage. The best part about this thing is that the bed has remained bone dry despite this being the wettest spring in Wheatland in..well, maybe ever.

I'd absolutely recommend one of these if you are looking for a truck camper shell for keeping the back dry but don't want to deal with the expense and hassle of owning a hard top. I'd take this over any hard top any day of the week even if someone was going to give them to me free.

;
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

The zipper came off the back panel yesterday, I’ve had it for a couple months … it’s gonna be a pain in the ass to fix.

I was doing some work on my dog kennel and my wife asked if I needed the soft topper installed since it came the day before. I said sure. She had it installed within an 90 minutes on her own.

Looks good. I’ve looked at these. I would like to know how it looks folded down and how easy it is to take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one for sale..

I bought one last fall before our trip to Maine. It worked great and I was glad to have it. Total install was less than an hour and a half. I always kept it raised when on my truck. I removed the entire top and mounting rails back in the spring in about thirty minutes. The first time folding it up for storage took a few minutes as you fold it in a specific order. It worked great during the fall into the early spring. It is easy to access the truck bed through the sides when needed. If it is warm out, it will get hot in your truck bed. I kept the rear window rolled up when I had dogs in my dog box. Installation and removal is easy for one person. I will re-install mine again in October.

Code...I'lll let you know once I need to fold it and take it off. That sucks about the zipper...no problems with mine, but I haven't run the sipper up and down a bunch yet and likely won't do that very often the way I use the truck. I'll be more careful about it when I do. HH12, good to know about the installation...I'll keep that in mind and realize that finesse and patience might be more effective than speed and force if I ever have to install one. CH...your's let you down or just don't like it? My biggest worry about longevity is what the UV out here is going to do to the fabric over time...it's brutal.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I got a leer hard shell for my 2013 Tacoma for $300.

Looks like it was made for a Nissan. Damn at the overhang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Built that way. Unlike ARE which are built to be flush, seamless even. Of course that promotes leakage, so it’s actually a good thing that your’s is as fucked as it is, lol.