Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about a new purchase.

62# at ~27” with my Osage stick. 28 and 70 with a modern compound. I could have killed the big bull last year with a frontal from the Osage. Dammit!

So…I’ve thought about this and researched best I could. Limited info out there. Consensus is Phoenix is much quieter than the old Oneidas, but still not very quiet. I’ve seen reports of the power cables breaking in relatively short order. One guy says that you need to remove the cables and use a round fine file to take down sharp edges of cable tracks and everything is copacetic afterward. Hmmm.

So enough info was dug up that made me know customer service was going to probably be the deciding factor here. I used their “contact us” messaging on their website to ask a couple of questions, and I requested a call. No response. The website says “call us for more info,” so I called them. Call went straight to a voice mailbox of some girl whose name I could not make out. Left a message; no call back.

Soooo…Phoenix idea is on indefinite hold until someone from Oneida makes me feel a whole lot better about that situation. Also realized that for the 400$ price bump on the “Tim Wells” version of the bow…the only difference was that it has a snake-skin pattern paint job on the limbs. So, it seems a little like they might be more into marketing than innovation at the moment, because that’s a screw job no matter how you slice her.

I’m not interested in shooting a bow with true cams with fingers.

An eye surgeon I trust who is also a hunter that I work with in NoDak is calling me later this evening to discuss all the finer points of astigmatism and all the possible corrective strategies that exist. If I could just get back to seeing the pins clearly on my compound somehow, all of this would be a moot point. Getting old BLOWS!

If any of you used to have perfect vision until the 40 eyes hit and then also developed noticeable astigmatism issues causing blurred, starbursting, distorted fiber optic pins and have had improvement with lasik or some particular type of contact lenses…please tell me about it.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 07-21-2023 at 05:38 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I had lasik done years ago and my problem was purely astigmatism in both eyes. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    I had lasik done years ago and my problem was purely astigmatism in both eyes. I wish I would have done it sooner.
    I'm getting more excited about this the more I read about it. The eye guy I've been going to here was wishy-washy when I asked him if there was anything I could do to fix this and see my pins or a red dot clearly again. I asked specifically about LASIK and other corrective surgical options. I think that maybe he does not hunt and would rather me not be able to see my pins better, or maybe he just likes taking my money every year for exams and contacts. He sure does push the expensive "other exams" he has available in his office. I should have actually researched this myself earlier and not assumed he'd have informed me of other options. I just hope I don't fall into the small category of people that LASIK won't help. Thanks for that info man.

Weip. The doc recommended against LASIK due to my age and recommended I go to a Doc here in Hettinger on Monday and have him give me a new exam and get me into some hard, astigmatism correcting contact lenses first. He's been wearing them for 20+ years and says they work like a champ. Looks like I'm going to give that a shot. Abby has worn hard contacts and says It'll take some getting used to...you think?!?! It's going to feel like I have freaking glass saucers in my eyes...can't wait. But, I'll deal with it and get over it if it'll get me back a higher level of being able to kill stuff I want to kill. Did I mention that getting old sucks?!