Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DNR Turkey Meeting

Default DNR Turkey Meeting

Anyone attend the meeting in Florence last night?

No. Planning on going to the one in Orangeburg if anybody wants to meet up for dinner beforehand
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Have they published any materials oe what their recommendations are?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Have they published any materials oe what their recommendations are?
    They have them, but they aren't published yet. Gotta make sure the peons believe their input is being considered......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

April 1st start two bird limit is what I read on another site.

Anyone going to the Hardeeville meeting this evening?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I have an idea, lets just implement more strict regs instead of actually try to identify a root cause. Never works, but atleast we did something!

Yes on hardeeville tonight.
    Last edited by jarrett80; 07-13-2023 at 10:49 AM.

I think root cause is too many hunters/finite resource. Early seasons/bag limits/ OOS friendly regs/ strutter decoys/ social media, covid - all contribute to a declining population.

*edit to add- I had 8 phone calls last year from people from florida or Charlotte trying to lease turkey rights to my property in Georgetown. I’d imagine I wasn’t the only property owner they were calling.
    Last edited by bitesize; 07-13-2023 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    I think root cause is too many hunters/finite resource. Early seasons/bag limits/ OOS friendly regs/ strutter decoys/ social media, covid - all contribute to a declining population.

*edit to add- I had 8 phone calls last year from people from florida or Charlotte trying to lease turkey rights to my property in Georgetown. I’d imagine I wasn’t the only property owner they were calling.
    It’s not the human hunter that is the problem in my opinion. Data seems to confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    It’s not the human hunter that is the problem in my opinion. Data seems to confirm that.
    Nature is going to nature!

34 states were represented in turkey tag purchases this past season
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Nature is going to nature!
    That doesn’t mean there are not other avenues than effecting hunting pressure. When a hen only raises 2 poults out of a clutch, hunting season isn’t the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pluffmudder View Post
    I have an idea, lets just implement more strict regs instead of actually try to identify a root cause. Never works, but atleast we did something!
    So, based on your statement you would suggest we maintain the status quo and current regs despite out harvesting recruitment. And then, if and when a cause is pin pointed we make appropriate regulatory changes?
    Makes perfect sense...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Anyone going to the Hardeeville meeting this evening?
    I'll be there...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    34 states were represented in turkey tag purchases this past season
    Gotta travel Bo. #chasing49 #wtr23 #tfc #benelli #TSS #mossyoak #dixon #foxvest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    That doesn’t mean there are not other avenues than effecting hunting pressure. When a hen only raises 2 poults out of a clutch, hunting season isn’t the problem.
    I disagree. I think there is a chance that overall hunting pressure is affecting the reproduction and recruitment more than we realize. Beyond just killing too many too early. Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by sc sportsman View Post
    I disagree. I think there is a chance that overall hunting pressure is affecting the reproduction and recruitment more than we realize. Beyond just killing too many too early. Just my opinion.
    That’s kind of what I was trying to get at with my previous post- the number of people in the woods is far greater than ever before, which has direct and indirect impact on turkeys.

I'll be at Hardeeville. Did anyone actually go to the Florence meeting and if so can report what the outcome/proposal was? So far only conjecture and opinion on this thread.

I wasnt in Florence, but I got word on what was discussed. Later start date (2nd week of April) and lower limits.

Not much talk about habitat, nesting and/or poult recruitment.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton