Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mushrooming 2023-07-11

Default Mushrooming 2023-07-11

I feel certain these are Chanterelles but it hasn't rained in a few days so they're not terribly healthy looking. I'll probably slice a thin steak out of the one on the right and cook it in some oil and try it. One thing I didn't expect when trying to learn the mushrooms is that I've gotten more observant in the woods. I don't think I would have noticed the box turtle or the luna moth if I wasn't looking for mushrooms.

The bright colored mushrooms in the picture below, I think are some species of chanterelle but they're smaller than a pinky nail so they wouldn't be worth messing with even if they are edible.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

That was back in February

Big ole Lions Mane I found back in May.

Picked em off this tree in town for 3 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I picked a couple pounds of chanterelles two days ago. Sautéed and froze what we didn't eat. I have two more great local spots I need to check.

Those yellow ones where you can see the underside are 100% chanterelles. I'd say the other one is as well but I can't see under the cap to verify. If it looks like the other 2, then it is.

In the pic with the red ones, those look a lot like what are called cinnibar chanterelles but it's hard to tell from the picture. I wouldn't eat them just to be on the safe side. You can research photos of cinnibar chanterelles for a better ID. They range from yellow to orange to bright pink.

See my last couple posts in Whitewater Duck's thread about wild edibles, I've posted a few pics of a big haul of those. They don't grow nearly as large as the yellow ones but they tend to grow a huge flushes so you can easily pick enough to fill up a bag. They taste great and you don't have to slice them, just saute in butter and garlic and you're ready.
    Last edited by JimmyD714; 07-12-2023 at 07:54 AM.

Bwaaa! I looked at that bat for a solid minute trying to figure out if that is what a past-prime lion’s mane looks like. Time for new contact prescriptions!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I'm being very careful, researching to a nauseating level, and going very slow but I finally convinced myself that I had this one identified right as a species of oyster mushroom. (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me)>

I picked one, sliced a 1/3" slab and fried it last evening. I'm not sick but it wasn't as good as I expected. I think the stem was a bit tough. One thing I've noticed about the oyster mushrooms is they are always covered with bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I'm being very careful, researching to a nauseating level, and going very slow but I finally convinced myself that I had this one identified right as a species of oyster mushroom. (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me)>

I picked one, sliced a 1/3" slab and fried it last evening. I'm not sick but it wasn't as good as I expected. I think the stem was a bit tough. One thing I've noticed about the oyster mushrooms is they are always covered with bugs.

That doesn't look like an oyster to me but someone more experienced may be able to confirm.

All the oysters I've seen and researched have way less of a stem and are much flatter.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The gills on oyster typically run further down the stem. Also they typically have a brownish hue, but they can be solid white. The ones that I've picked overlap (or cluster) a lot more. I wouldn't pick those as oyster, but I'm no pro.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    That doesn't look like an oyster to me
    ...dang....maybe I should stick with the Chanterelles...In all seriousness, I triple checked the gill pattern and the thickness of the cap. And, they're growing in the right place, a dead deciduous tree. The cap was way too thick and probably too early in the year for it to be Angel's wings. I think my next batch of mushrooms might come from Publix...

...dang....maybe I should stick with the Chanterelles...In all seriousness, I triple checked the gill pattern and the thickness of the cap. And, they're growing in the right place, a dead deciduous tree. The cap was way too thick and probably too early in the year for it to be Angel's wings. I think my next batch of mushrooms might come from Publix...
    Maybe….

By goodness, Islandguy85, I think you've nailed it down to species. Thank you very much.

Default Mushrooming 2023-07-11

By goodness, Islandguy85, I think you've nailed it down to species. Thank you very much.
    I am using an app. Picture mushroom. I take pictures of every one I see and read about it. Seems to be very accurate. I would not use it to eat something I wasn’t already sure of.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 08-05-2023 at 04:11 PM.

6464D71D-A8B6-4752-BB0F-A530EBB3B914.jpg
    Chicken of the woods?? No clue
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    I am using an app. Picture mushroom. I take pictures of every one I see and read about it. Seems to be very accurate. I would not use it to eat something I wasn’t already sure of.
    Thanks, I have a very old phone but I may try to load that app. I was as sure as humanly possible that it was a genus "Pluerotus" and not poisonous or I would not have tried it but I wasn't positive on the exact species. After you posted that I found this on Youtube. It's funny because she mentions the bug thing too.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    Following...

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    6464D71D-A8B6-4752-BB0F-A530EBB3B914.jpg
    Yes, but now more like chalk of the woods. Past it's prime

What are these? Chanterelles?

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post

What are these? Chanterelles?
    Yes sir they are and you hit the freakin jackpot!! What county? I may go looking on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk