Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living Off the land.

Default Living Off the land.

I've been quite envious of some of you whom have been off the grid for some time. I generally do not have time to do such, but I've always had cattle operations, mediocre gardens, but lots of space, and took the time a while back to plan for the worst in terms of storage of meats, and ability to clean meats and ways to cure/store.

Anyway.

All the crap went down with the idiots, but I had already started the ball rolling 2 weeks ago, and couldnt stop it. I wanted to see what type of steaks I would get out of one of my cows. I didnt lock it up, didnt grain feed it, so it is technically grass fed.....

I worked a deal out with a fellow and rather than me slaughter he did and we divide it up.. I was more than impressed. And the chickens. Oh my gosh how do they pass such things through there.......

I haven't tried any meat yet, but just off feel it feels great to the touch! I am a wonderful cook if I do say so my self. I will see. Cut and vacuum packed already! Super excited to try these out!

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

Trimmings for Collards, or spaghetti.

IMG_4643.jpg
    Look at this monster! How does this fit out a chicken butt???? I'm learning on the chickens. Beef I know. Been reluctant to kill my own, but what the heck do I have them for at this point. I want to be sure I have an outlet for my family and friends to eat. So we are taking some trial runs on big ticket items.

I got the fish....lol.

All seriousness I was rather impressed. Pretty decent for a small steer, under 1k.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I got plenty of hamburger.

And I hate eggs.

My wife loves these stupid chickens so I tolerate her big black cock in the coup, and my oldest daughters infatuation with driving me nuts by cooking eggs in the microwave.

The younger kids enjoy working to feed water, and collect eggs so it is a redeemable exercise.....I guess!

I'd love to hear your stories and tips.

I built a walk in cooler and cleaning area as if we were going into production of cows not deer.

Thank God it hasn't come to that yet, but if we keep going it may be my best investment ever. I hope I can just keep going to the grocery store, but who knows.

If it does I'm set I promise. I just need to learn more about salt curing. Again I've got the walk in cooler and everything you want to completely butcher cows.hogs (minus the bath and hair raker).....but I loath the day I have to do it to eat rather than fun.

But we can open the SC Ducks-Cop for meat production.

"You cant beat our Meat"
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 06-29-2023 at 12:20 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Are you familiar with the Foxfire series of books? If not, there's some incredible information in there.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Let’s talk about those beads on your wrist…………..

^^^ just got back from Mardi Gras?

I want fatted up cows, I do not care what hipsters say.. I will never buy or cut up a cow around here again, unless I know he's going to be pampered.. fat is flavor.

Be a grown up and eat eggs.

them some big eggs
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Well first off anyone on here who claims to live "off the grid" is a liar because they wouldn't have cellular or ethernet to post in here about it. Seems like what you're going for is "self sufficient", not really "off grid". We're in the same boat and want to do the same.

That meat looks great, and those are massive eggs! We're anxious to get out of this neighborhood and onto a few acres where we can at least raise chickens, rabbits, and maybe some smaller ruminant meat animals like goats or sheep. However, with house prices and interest rates what they are, I'd effectively be making a lot less money if we were to make the jump now. I like our relatively cheap mortgage.

My family lives on 55 acres in Middle TN and we're highly considering just building on their land. It'll be ours one day anyway, hopefully many, many years down the road.

They aren't raising animals but my dad kills enough deer to keep them fed year round, and grows way more fruit and vegetables then they are able to consume every year. They never buy meat and they'd have no issue with us raising some animals.

Sucks things have gotten the way they've gotten with inflation in the housing market but it seems like the days are getting away from us when a guy can work hard and afford to buy a house on that kind of acreage. Prices are increasing at a significantly faster rate than wages are.

And living 2 hrs away from a metropolitan area where it's still somewhat affordable is risky in my line of work. Right now I work 100% remote with travel as needed, and remote opportunities are becoming more common, but I'm always thinking about a backup plan and that might require going back into the office. My wife stays home to raise/school our daughters so I can't put us in a risky situation where I may be without income for a while if I lose a job.

Seems like Tennessee is our best option for being a lot more self sufficient and living the kind of life we want to live and raise our daughters in.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    The drone pilot knows what they're for

I’ll be honest. We had cows that were grass fed before slaughter and I prefer corn fed cows. Completely different taste to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    Are you familiar with the Foxfire series of books? If not, there's some incredible information in there.
    No but sounds like I need to be. Cliff notes?
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    They are baltic amber. If you aren't familiar with them you probably think it's hoakas poekas. Try them on a teething child, and get back with me if you want to see something amazing.

https://amber-guru.com/blogs/blog/wh...hing-necklaces
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Well first off anyone on here who claims to live "off the grid" is a liar because they wouldn't have cellular or ethernet to post in here about it. Seems like what you're going for is "self sufficient", not really "off grid". We're in the same boat and want to do the same.

That meat looks great, and those are massive eggs! We're anxious to get out of this neighborhood and onto a few acres where we can at least raise chickens, rabbits, and maybe some smaller ruminant meat animals like goats or sheep. However, with house prices and interest rates what they are, I'd effectively be making a lot less money if we were to make the jump now. I like our relatively cheap mortgage.

My family lives on 55 acres in Middle TN and we're highly considering just building on their land. It'll be ours one day anyway, hopefully many, many years down the road.

They aren't raising animals but my dad kills enough deer to keep them fed year round, and grows way more fruit and vegetables then they are able to consume every year. They never buy meat and they'd have no issue with us raising some animals.

Sucks things have gotten the way they've gotten with inflation in the housing market but it seems like the days are getting away from us when a guy can work hard and afford to buy a house on that kind of acreage. Prices are increasing at a significantly faster rate than wages are.

And living 2 hrs away from a metropolitan area where it's still somewhat affordable is risky in my line of work. Right now I work 100% remote with travel as needed, and remote opportunities are becoming more common, but I'm always thinking about a backup plan and that might require going back into the office. My wife stays home to raise/school our daughters so I can't put us in a risky situation where I may be without income for a while if I lose a job.

Seems like Tennessee is our best option for being a lot more self sufficient and living the kind of life we want to live and raise our daughters in.

Sounds familiar. We bought 12 acres (closer to town that I would have liked, but wife wanted to stay close so that we would be in range for in home therapies for a special needs child). We could have gotten a much larger tract further out, so that was a tough pill, and now prices have gone insane. But we're working on being self-reliant; currently have pigs, chickens, ducks, goats, rabbits, bees, a garden, and working on establishing a food forest. We work remote and home school kids. This is how life was meant to be lived, imo. It's the shangri-la.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

next project will be a smoke house to cure meat, and maybe a smaller breed cow
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Killing a steer isn't that bad, little grunt work. Do it 10-12 times a year.

We kill 50-75 broilers a year along with laying chickens and garden.

I've got the bacon down. I just go buy several good pork bellies from Costcos to get going. There are 2 grades get the #1 or "A" I cant remember which it is called, but are a better cut. I prefer more lean pieces. I realize some like the flavor of fat, but realistically you will get the same flavor on a pig. Not that eating bacon is healthy, but at least I know what is in it, and it is gourmet! I usually vacuum pack them into 8"x8" blocks. Is general enough for the family for breakfast. Cut it to whatever thickness you want. It is about 1.75" thick.

Just curing salt, brown sugar, molasses, regular salt & pepper, and slight hint of fresh garlic, and bay leaves. Cold cure for 12-14 days. Smoke at 175 for 12 hours. Super good stuff!
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Sounds familiar. We bought 12 acres (closer to town that I would have liked, but wife wanted to stay close so that we would be in range for in home therapies for a special needs child). We could have gotten a much larger tract further out, so that was a tough pill, and now prices have gone insane. But we're working on being self-reliant; currently have pigs, chickens, ducks, goats, rabbits, bees, a garden, and working on establishing a food forest. We work remote and home school kids. This is how life was meant to be lived, imo. It's the shangri-la.
    Yea I don't know who TF is buying up moderately nice houses on 5 acres for $800k up into the millions, but it ain't gonna be me! And forget about that house on 20+ acres to have something I could frequently hunt on.

Only way to have that is living an hour away from the closest gas station and that's not great for a family with young kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    They are baltic amber. If you aren't familiar with them you probably think it's hoakas poekas. Try them on a teething child, and get back with me if you want to see something amazing.

https://amber-guru.com/blogs/blog/wh...hing-necklaces
    Are you teething?

Quote Originally Posted by CDL View Post
    Are you teething?
    No, but teeth aches and certain bone pain are very similar. It's not opium, but there is some benefits to it.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I've got the bacon down. I just go buy several good pork bellies from Costcos to get going. There are 2 grades get the #1 or "A" I cant remember which it is called, but are a better cut. I prefer more lean pieces. I realize some like the flavor of fat, but realistically you will get the same flavor on a pig. Not that eating bacon is healthy, but at least I know what is in it, and it is gourmet! I usually vacuum pack them into 8"x8" blocks. Is general enough for the family for breakfast. Cut it to whatever thickness you want. It is about 1.75" thick.

Just curing salt, brown sugar, molasses, regular salt & pepper, and slight hint of fresh garlic, and bay leaves. Cold cure for 12-14 days. Smoke at 175 for 12 hours. Super good stuff!
    I don't think shopping at Costco qualifies as living off the land