Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SCDNR Public Meetings on Turkey Management

Take all this to the meetings. Hopefully the DNR will actually consider public input rather than this just being for show.

I'll likely be at the Greenville one if I get back from my work travel a day early.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I think that it should be considered that forest/land management, predators, weather, and many factors play a large part in the population of turkeys and all critters for that matter. Unfortunately DNRs only solution is declined harvest. I don’t turkey and don’t have a dog in this fight really except turkeys are cool and i enjoy seeing them. Let us not forget that much of SC didn’t have turkeys not so long ago so and what we think of as population norms are not necessarily that. Maybe the population is finding a new carrying capacity, thus the decline in numbers. All that to say I think all you will see out of this is decreased hunting opportunities and bag limits. Sounds like maybe that’s what’s needed. I just think that with turkeys, deer, fish, etc. DNR is very quick to tighten regulations without putting work towards management and others factors that affect population.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    I think that it should be considered that forest/land management, predators, weather, and many factors play a large part in the population of turkeys and all critters for that matter. Unfortunately DNRs only solution is declined harvest. I don’t turkey and don’t have a dog in this fight really except turkeys are cool and i enjoy seeing them. Let us not forget that much of SC didn’t have turkeys not so long ago so and what we think of as population norms are not necessarily that. Maybe the population is finding a new carrying capacity, thus the decline in numbers. All that to say I think all you will see out of this is decreased hunting opportunities and bag limits. Sounds like maybe that’s what’s needed. I just think that with turkeys, deer, fish, etc. DNR is very quick to tighten regulations without putting work towards management and others factors that affect population.
    The State can't mandate Private Lands wildlife management practices.
    So how is SCDNR to "put work toward management?"

As Boozer said, right here and right now, most places need less killed and later in the season.

Their push will be for a later start date (LC included) and a reduced bag limit across the state.

All the TSS, decoy talk etc is for not and will not happen for a number of reasons.

I will be at O'burg or H'ville or both.

This will be better than the early deer public meetings for sure!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I'm not a biologist but I know that turkeys gobblers are redundant and the hens lay between 10 and 12 eggs. Even with 50% recruitment, hunters could kill 2½ to 3 gobblers per hen every year and still more than double the population for the next spring.

The simple point is hunting ain't the problem. It's either nesting success or poult survival or both...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I'm not a biologist but I know that turkeys gobblers are redundant and the hens lay between 10 and 12 eggs. Even with 50% recruitment, hunters could kill 2½ to 3 gobblers per hen every year and still more than double the population for the next spring.

The simple point is hunting ain't the problem. It's either nesting success or poult survival or both...
    Bingo. Yell it so everyone in the state can hear you and maybe listen.

It's a lot of things for sure....lack of quality nesting cover, predators, killing them too soon, social media, etc etc etc
    But, two things that can be easily controlled are...when and how many are killed.
    If that don't work then the problem is bigger that even the best biologist believe it is!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 06-26-2023 at 06:07 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

My point exactly. Shortening a season or length of hunting hours does us no good if the poults aren't surviving.

Please attend a meeting and say this!

I'd like to hear from some of the experts here, on what they would do to increase the population.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    I'd like to hear from some of the experts here, on what they would do to increase the population.
    For WMA:

Allow year-round trapping and hunting of hogs, coyotes, and possibly other nest raiders.

Start the season at least 2 weeks later.

Even though I have my opinions against male decoys and TSS shot, I would not argue in favor of anymore restrictions against hunters.

Instead, lets expand an opportunity many of us would take advantage of that would help turkeys as well as other game species.

I believe most of us agree the season should start later and yotes/hogs need open season on WMA. I'd like to see those 2 things and see if that improves anything.

Turkey hunting is the new “cool” thing to do. It’s taken off like duck hunting.

So of course more hunters, more than likely mean more dead birds

Instead of bitching on here, why don’t all of you attend a meeting and voice your concerns?

Me personally, I’d be fine with no TSS, no male decoys, and a 2 bird limit.

One could argue on where to draw the line with decoys, 3 1/2 shells vs TSS etc. However attend a meeting and voice your concern.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Turkey hunting is the new “cool” thing to do. It’s taken off like duck hunting.

So of course more hunters, more than likely mean more dead birds

Instead of bitching on here, why don’t all of you attend a meeting and voice your concerns?

Me personally, I’d be fine with no TSS, no male decoys, and a 2 bird limit.

One could argue on where to draw the line with decoys, 3 1/2 shells vs TSS etc. However attend a meeting and voice your concern.
    So you want to regulate the very thing that gives a better chance at a sure kill. That seems counter productive. That’s also a very slippery slope. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    So you want to regulate the very thing that gives a better chance at a sure kill. That seems counter productive. That’s also a very slippery slope. In my opinion.
    Slippery slope?

I’ve read “on here” about fanning. What’s the difference?

I’m entitled to my opinion. Take 60 plus yard shots out of it and decoys and I bet the population will go up.

My opinion.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    He's one of the guys who can't even fart without making a YouTube video about it, much less go on a turkey hunt, much less do it without mentioning the state, part of the state, and in some cases even the actual WMA.
    Dave Owens is a good guy who does a lot of good for turkeys and those in the Turkey community. Guess since he has gained popularity he is an easy target. He is not the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come to a meeting. Voice your opinion.

I’ll be at the orangeburg meeting.

Slippery slope?

I’ve read “on here” about fanning. What’s the difference?

I’m entitled to my opinion. Take 60 plus yard shots out of it and decoys and I bet the population will go up.

My opinion.
    Of course you can have your opinion I welcome it. I wasn’t trying to give that impression.

However long beard xr can be effective at 50 and can really push 60 if that’s someone’s fancy. It’s not my thing but just want to point that out.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 06-26-2023 at 07:07 PM.

I'll try my best to be at Greenville. If I get back early from a work trip to the glorious area of Albany, GA then I'll be in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    “Regulate the very thing that gives you a better chance at a sure kill”

Listen to what you just said. A sure kill. Take that out of it and it’s simple. Take sure kills away and the population will go up.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Come to a meeting. Voice your opinion.

I’ll be at the orangeburg meeting.
    The Orangeburg meeting will be a shit show
    More fuel = more boost!!

The Orangeburg meeting will be a shit show
    You coming?

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    You coming?
    I am.