Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordoba Argentina dove hunt

Default Cordoba Argentina dove hunt

We fly out next Friday. This will be my first time down there. What do yall have for pro tips

I have nothing
    My dream hunt
    Good luck

Bring shooting gloves, spend time in Buenos Aires, eat empanadas and drink Malbec in excess, tip your bird boys well, go shoot ducks if you can, perdiz are worth it if you can add it, a crippled parakeet will call others in (don’t pick it up, it will bite you and draw blood), bring a converter for electronics to be on the safe side.

-ammo bill will likely be higher than planned for.
    -dont go trying to conserve ammo. Any shot angle that you feel gives you trouble in an early fall sunflower field, you’ll have plenty of oppertunity to rectify down there.
    -take pictures.
    -track your own “other species” number
    -gloves,shoulder, and ears.
    -100% agree that their caddy’s clicker is a liar.
    -feed lots are a hoot.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

I Look forward to seeing the pictures and the thread when y’all get back
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I like the shirts with the built in recoil pad. See how many one shot doubles you can make in a row. I think I hit 13. Might have been 9.
    Carolina Counsel

It's been years ago that I was talking with an older gentleman at the airport. He was telling me his shoulder was really sore so I asked him why. He said he had been to Argentina to shoot doves and if I recall correctly, he and his group of 3 others shot like 5 or 6000 shells during the time he was there. Said the guide he was with had 3 guns and was loading them as fast as he could shoot them. The locals would come out with trash bags and haul the doves off. Guy showed me his shoulder and it was black and blue! He was prob in his mid 70's and said it was like swatting mosquitos the doves were so thick. Since then I've always wanted to go and give it a try.
    every expert was once a beginner

Shooting gloves are for weenies.
    Recoil pads aren’t though.
    If they hand you a Benelli, hand it back.

Have fun. Jealous.

Gloves are for welding and branding cattle. Any other use and you're a sissy or a pussy. But actually both.

Shooting gloves mean you are gripping the gun too tightly, your bird boy will load your guns, Gander and Fish will be along shortly to agree. BA, Malbec, and over tipping your bird boy are all highly recommended. Ducks and Perdiz are a nice bonus.

~LB

I was there earlier this year. Fantastic hunting and unforgettable experience. Evidently, they are really struggling to get guns and ammo. The guns were fully functional, but could stand to be replaced. We mostly hunted in pairs. I think they were trying to limit our shooting due to the lack of ammo. That said, in 3 days of hunting I killed more doves than I will in the next decade in SC.

If you do stay the first night in Buenos Aires, go to the Italian restaurant on the river. I believe it’s called Marcelo’s. It was unbelievably good. The people watching was pretty good too.

Gloves aren’t for blisters from gripping the gun to tight or the stock roughing up your hands. Gloves are good to keep your hands from getting a 1st or 2nd degree burn when you accidentally touch the barrel after firing off 5 boxes in about 15 minutes.

They are having a huge ammo issue right now. We had to reschedule some groups this summer due to it. Supposedly august is when it should ease up from what we’ve been told.

Got back yesterday. There is an ammo shortage, my outfittter has one more groups worth of ammo. It seemed like they were trying to limit us some. I still shot 1900 rounds in 2 half days and two full days. Shooting pad is a must. I used a limbsaver and had no issues with soreness or bruising. I wore light mechanix gloves to protect myself from the heat of the barrel in case I touched it or got close.
    If you exchange money make sure you exchange at the tourist or blue line rate which is double the amount in the airport exchanges.
    I took a bluetooth speaker and listened to music the whole time, left it with the bird boy and he was stoked. The flight is long, upgrade your seats. Find a tour guide if you have time in BA. There is plenty of good cheap food, beer, and wine to be had. Duck season is closed most places due to drought but I hear they are still shooting. Parakeets (quaker parrots) are fun and the farmers insist you shoot them.
    Ammo was $18.50 or $18.75 per box….. I didnt hold back. Went to far to hold back. I still mostly made shots that in theory were doable.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 06-11-2023 at 08:37 AM.

Decoying pigeons is underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Gloves are for welding and branding cattle. Any other use and you're a sissy or a pussy. But actually both.
    And driving boats and 4 wheelers in sub 30degree weather..

SissyPuss..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

great information thus far. thanks boys! we are staying 1 extra night in Cordoba, and not BA. I didn't want to do the big city thing. the outfitter asked that we tip in USD and gave us a gratuity table for all of the help.. $150 per day sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    great information thus far. thanks boys! we are staying 1 extra night in Cordoba, and not BA. I didn't want to do the big city thing. the outfitter asked that we tip in USD and gave us a gratuity table for all of the help.. $150 per day sound about right?
    We paid at end for shells, tipping of lodge staff, licenses, guns as one bill. We each tipped our own bird boys a required minimum of $50 per day and we also had a guide/driver/interpreter that our group tipped at the end all together.
    Cordoba is not a small city either.
    Edited: we tipped the bird boys $100 per day. Also took breaks and let them shoot some.

Adding: watch the weather and pack accordingly. I overpacked a bit and would take less next time. If your hunts are like mine you will be driven within feet to where you hunt and it will be dry sandyish soil. They are experiencing a horrible drought right now. You will also more than likely be hunting over harvested field, standing corn that was not harvested due to a freak frost last summer, or close to beef feed lots, water holes, or grain bins.
    The bird boys will fashion some kind of cover for you with branches or whatever is around.
    Get accustomed quickly to not unsoldering the gun after shooting 2-3 rounds.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 06-11-2023 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    We paid at end for shells, tipping of lodge staff, licenses, guns as one bill. We each tipped our own bird boys a required minimum of $50 per day and we also had a guide/driver/interpreter that our group tipped at the end all together.
    Cordoba is not a small city either.
    Edited: we tipped the bird boys $100 per day. Also took breaks and let them shoot some.

Adding: watch the weather and pack accordingly. I overpacked a bit and would take less next time. If your hunts are like mine you will be driven within feet to where you hunt and it will be dry sandyish soil. They are experiencing a horrible drought right now. You will also more than likely be hunting over harvested field, standing corn that was not harvested due to a freak frost last summer, or close to beef feed lots, water holes, or grain bins.
    The bird boys will fashion some kind of cover for you with branches or whatever is around.
    Get accustomed quickly to not unsoldering the gun after shooting 2-3 rounds.

Good stuff. Thanks for the details

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Bring shooting gloves, spend time in Buenos Aires, eat empanadas and drink Malbec in excess, tip your bird boys well, go shoot ducks if you can, perdiz are worth it if you can add it, a crippled parakeet will call others in (don’t pick it up, it will bite you and draw blood), bring a converter for electronics to be on the safe side.
    I think this guy’s done it a time or 100…take his advice.

Just got back as well. Its cold. you will want gloves to keep your hands warm, and for the heat of the barrels. I wore a long sleeve shirt, wind blocking sweater and either a jacket of fleece vest everyday. Also had a fleece hoody in case for the head. This all kept us warm in the wind and added padding for the shooting. Bring a blue tooth speaker and listen to music and drink beer. I shot a 28 ga the whole time shot roughly a case in the am and evening, my shoulder didnt bother me in the least. We left $150 per person for house staff, $150 for head guide and field cook for the trip and tipped our bird boys $100 per day. most likely the lodge will do laundry service, so you dont need to over pack, i did. Also pack smaller and lighter, flying from the US we got 50 pound limit on the bags, when you get there its like 35 so half our group got f'd and had to pay fees for the overweight bags flying to and from BA/ cordoba

As mentioned, ammo is scarce and shitty. the guys shooting autos were having ejection issues etc. You made a mistake not staying in BA but Hopefully youll have fun. I stayed there pn a prior trip but not the most recent. One thing to consider is the airport transfer in BA. There are two airports, you will fly into one and fly to Cordoba from another, they are kind of on opposite sides of the city. We had a van arranged to take us and it was well worth it. Like $150 bucks. Better than getting a cab.

You prob dont need to exchange cash, we dealt with USD everywhere. Might be different if you go somewhere in Cordoba. Upgrading your seat is a plus, also taking showers in the airways nice lounges in BA and in US is awesome for overnight travel. Bathrooms in the amercian airlines lounge were like a fancy hotel.