Thread: Tuna

Default Tuna

When the old man brings back more tuna than you can eat in a week it’s always a good problem to have. Freezing the delicious meat has always left me disappointed so we decided to try our hand at canning some.

24 jars of what I hope to be delicious goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Interesting. Remember to let us know how it turns out...

Curious to see also. Get a good commercial vacuum packer. I've got some over a year old I broke into the other day. Obviously not as good as street off the boat, but still as good as anything in Harris Teeter
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Gonna try some this evening. We had heard from others that canning the meat turned out well. Nothing first hand though.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Tastes liked canned tuna but flaky instead of the mushy/minced stuff you buy at the store.
    Should make some great tuna salad later on. Would also work in some pasta, I believe.

We are gonna try canning some deer meat next week.

I wonder if the heat from the canning process "pre-cooked" it more or less?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Looks good! Glad they caught them good.

Couple of those were good ones!

Mollie, I've got a buddy that has been canning deer meat for a few years. You will eat the whole jar in one sitting.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    That was good!
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

I've been canning deer for a few years now. Much like the tuna above, it doesn't look appetizing in the jar, but it tastes great.

I bet it would make great tuna salad.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I've been canning deer for a few years now. Much like the tuna above, it doesn't look appetizing in the jar, but it tastes great.

I bet it would make great tuna salad.
    This is something I want to do this year. I’m assuming you season the meat during the canning process?

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    This is something I want to do this year. I’m assuming you season the meat during the canning process?
    It’s stupid simple.

In a qt size mason jar I’ll do…

Deer meat cut into 1/2” ish cubes. Fill it about half way with meat. 1/4-1/2 tsp beef bullion powder, some onion, celery, carrots, no need to add any liquid.

Run it through your pressure canner and follow the directions that came with it for time and weight and bam. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It’s stupid simple.

In a qt size mason jar I’ll do…

Deer meat cut into 1/2” ish cubes. Fill it about half way with meat. 1/4-1/2 tsp beef bullion powder, some onion, celery, carrots, no need to add any liquid.

Run it through your pressure canner and follow the directions that came with it for time and weight and bam. Done.
    Thanks. It’s on my to do list this fall.