Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minn Kota Quick Release Bracket install in an impossible to reach location

Try taping your nut/washer to a large, paint stirring stick. 21" long.
    Use blue painter's tape.

Attachment 84007Attachment 84007

Get the collapsible magnet you get from the any auto parts store up by the registers. It may be a pain in the ass but it may work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by mud ugh View Post
    I attached a piece of tape sticky side up to the end of a paint stirring stick and held the nut close to the hole and did it by feel with some help. It’s certainly a tedious way to do it but it worked.
    Same issue on my Jon boat front deck. I put nut in an open end wrench but taped it in there. One person shoved it up there while other person put bolt through hole. Once you get it started you’re good. I’d sure try to through bolt.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Get the collapsible magnet you get from the any auto parts store up by the registers. It may be a pain in the ass but it may work for you.
    Good suggestion but might not be rigid enough.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Good suggestion but might not be rigid enough.
    The make a telescopic magnet with a 90 degree rotating head. They have an allen screw for adjusting tightness. Got pretty damn good at using them doing machine installs when i was still machining. They make different grade strenght magnets and they are worth the money. Even if if costs you $25 it will come in handy many more times. Mine was similar to this one
    https://www.grainger.com/product/PRO...trieving-5C598

Here's one on my high tide where I taped a bore scope to my socket extension. I believe the other screen on my laptop was a conference call.

IMG_20210421_080508269_HDR.jpg

Kirk, you’re a genius. That’s slicker’n eel shit. Wilk, stainless won’t work on magnets. That borescope is slick as shit too.

Great ideas.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BET wins the multitasking award for the day....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It’s a pain in the butt fo sho.

I used a ratchet and used tape and/or caulk to hold the nut in the socket. Turned from the top. Once the nut was on I grabbed it with vice grip and continued to tighten fro the top. I’ve put two of these on. One on a Key West and the other on an SV2100.

I installed one on a tidewater 19' and had the same issue. I used a pair of big vise grips tightened down on a pair of needle nose vice grips with the nut in the needle nose. Had to contort arms/shoulders and had someone else feed the bolt through. It wasn't easy and took some precision getting the bolt on the nut but it's been good for over 9 years.

Cut in a pothole and install cover. Ya might have to access it again.
    https://www.amazon.com/SEA-FLO-Circu...a-717063316706

Or

Use your daughter. Bet she could shimmy in there.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    West Marine SST Togglers

Text incoming
    What he said

I ordered one of those little bore cameras BET has, it's arriving today. Will try it this weekend and bring four of those Worst Marine toggles as back up.

Little Sister's arms arent long enough to reach, and I dont cuss around her. I am sure there will be cussing. Lots of it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I needed the socket swivel due to the angle I was working at but It made the whole process significantly more complex. Too many degrees of freedom

On a side note, bore scope cameras are inexpensive. They make some that connect to a smart phone. I've used mine for mechanical work, stuff under the deck of a boat and checking duck boxes.

https://www.amazon.com/Seesi-Endosco...s%2C159&sr=8-5

I texted you a link to the Garelick Toggles the other day. Your trolling motor isn't cheap. Don't be cheap with the install.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I ordered one of those little bore cameras BET has, it's arriving today. Will try it this weekend and bring four of those Worst Marine toggles as back up.

Little Sister's arms arent long enough to reach, and I dont cuss around her. I am sure there will be cussing. Lots of it.
    You are not wiring up an inverter in your truck....this is simple and no cussing should be required. Toggle bolt with some blue loctite and move onto the next crisis...literally 10 minute job.

Forgive me, I would think a stop nut with a large fender washer would be > the toggle bolts. I'd much prefer the $60 set of toggle bolts and ten minutes of work to what I foresee with the borescope.