Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whole Hog

I can't mess with toof now?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Do you cook your own pork?
    Doesn't everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I guarantee you he does. Whole hog is all about the mop. Anyone that does it worth doing takes a pride in it that disallows any chances taken by a run of the mill mop.
    Tater knows what's up

Very nice!
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

People always ask me if they can take that sauce home and ask if I have extra.
    It's a true eastern NC pig sauce
    Super simple, don't over think it or kweer it up.............over 100 years in my family and lots of other families
    I am 63 and my great granddad and my grandfather raised tobacco when I was young, they celebrated the tobacco being "put up" with a huge hog cooking for all the field help and the ladies that "tied" the tobacco.
    Usually two hogs killed and cooked on a sheet of barn roof tin, in a hole in the ground with hardwood coals under it.
    We'd set up all night with a fire to replenish the embers as needed.
    1 gallon of brown apple cider vinegar dumped in a pot, pot is on a burner, low heat
    1 fat cup of brown sugar (dissolves real easy in the warm vinegar}
    between a 1/4 and 1/3 box of Morton salt (yes, that much salt}
    3 tablespoons of crushed red pepper flakes
    1 fat tablespoon of Lowery's Season Salt (we learned it has pretty much the same ingredients as the other spices he added)
    Don't bring it to a boil, i think it adds a bitterness to the red pepper flakes when they boil, just get it hot and stir it all along.
    I double the above and have two gallons, one is used for mopping and to pour into the pig's cavity once he is flipped and the other
    is used in wetting the chopped BBQ mix and put on the table for guest
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-05-2023 at 08:11 PM.

Hell, everyone ought to pull their own pork and make a little sauce once in awhile.
    Even better if you can get someone else to do it for you while you kick back and drink a beer and watch.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 06-05-2023 at 08:14 PM.

I have never cooked a whole hog, but it seems damn intimidating. Great job!

Had a conversation with a group of people recently and was amazed at how many have never been apart of a whole hog cooking. It's always been a normal occurrence around holidays and big events to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    People always ask me if they can take that sauce home and ask if I have extra.
    It's a true eastern NC pig sauce
    Super simple, don't over think it or kweer it up.............over 100 years in my family and lots of other families
    I am 63 and my great granddad and my grandfather raised tobacco when I was young, they celebrated the tobacco being "put up" with a huge hog cooking for all the field help and the ladies that "tied" the tobacco.
    Usually two hogs killed and cooked on a sheet of barn roof tin, in a hole in the ground with hardwood coals under it.
    We'd set up all night with a fire to replenish the embers as needed.
    1 gallon of brown apple cider vinegar dumped in a pot, pot is on a burner, low heat
    1 fat cup of brown sugar (dissolves real easy in the warm vinegar}
    between a 1/4 and 1/3 box of Morton salt (yes, that much salt}
    3 tablespoons of crushed red pepper flakes
    1 fat tablespoon of Lowery's Season Salt (we learned it has pretty much the same ingredients as the other spices he added)
    Don't bring it to a boil, i think it adds a bitterness to the red pepper flakes when they boil, just get it hot and stir it all along.
    I double the above and have two gallons, one is used for mopping and to pour into the pig's cavity once he is flipped and the other
    is used in wetting the chopped BBQ mix and put on the table for guest
    Eastern NC is the king of whole hog BBQ. When they have home BBQ party it is more than likely Whole hog. Up our way most cook butts or shoulders. I have seen the hole in the ground with tin or grating many times. Seems rustic but it works. I going to try your pig sauce.
    Last edited by centurian; 06-06-2023 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Hell, everyone ought to pull their own pork and make a little sauce once in awhile.
    Even better if you can get someone else to do it for you while you kick back and drink a beer and watch.
    So. Many. Jokes.

Even better if you can get someone else to do it for you while you kick back and drink a beer and help.

FIFY

the joke

your head

went way over
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yup