Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WY Corner Crossers

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I corner crossed in Montana last year when I was deer hunting. Public to public, one side of the private checkerboard was someone I didn't know, the other side of the private checkerboard gave me permission to cross using their land. I came back after hunting one evening to a note on my truck basically telling me I was a piece of shit, the game warden had my plates and vehicle description, and if I came back he'd go after me with as much as he could for trespassing. I went back to the same spot the next evening, put a note from the landowner I had permission from under my wiper, and then left him a nice note from me with my phone number, name, and what I thought about the son of a bitch ... Unfortunately I never heard from him.
    My note would’ve read “fuck off”

My first antelope in WY was on pie shaped piece BLM that I access where the corner touched a county road. Walked a couple of miles in and shot a nice antelope. As I was quartering him a landowner drove up on a two track the came in from private and told me I had to have tress passed to get there. He had a hunter with him and I assume they were coming to kill that antelope. Long story short we went back and forth until I pulled out my GPS pre, OnX, and showed him my track. He rolled up his window and scratched off. That’s SOP in eastern WY and Montana.
    They graze it for a fraction of what they have pay for private grazing rights. In return they should have to provide an easement, but the legislatures are owned by ranchers sucking the same govt tit, so I wouldn’t expect any changes any time soon.
    What this decision may do is make enforcement more consistent. Corner cross in Natrona County and you will probably get ticketed for trespass. Do it Campbell County and the Sheriff probably won’t even show. If the eager beaver DAs know they will potentially have a loss on their record, they probably won’t prosecute.
    FWIW, the high preference point areas generally don’t have access issues. That’s why there is more demand than supply. The 0-2 point units are easy to draw but have tough access. The You Tube gurus fail to mention that fact.
    Last edited by FLS; 06-02-2023 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    My first antelope in WY was on pie shaped piece BLM that I access where the corner touched a county road. Walked a couple of miles in and shot a nice antelope. As I was quartering him a landowner drove up on a two track the came in from private and told me I had to have tress passed to get there. He had a hunter with him and I assume they were coming to kill that antelope. Long story short we went back and forth until I pulled out my GPS pre, OnX, and showed him my track. He rolled up his window and scratched off. That’s SOP in eastern WY and Montana.
    They graze it for a fraction of what they have pay for private grazing rights. In return they should have to provide an easement, but the legislatures are owned by ranchers sucking the same govt tit, so I wouldn’t expect any changes any time soon.
    What this decision may do is make enforcement more consistent. Corner cross in Natrona County and you will probably get ticketed for trespass. Do it Campbell County and the Sheriff probably won’t even show. If the eager beaver DAs know they will potentially have a loss on their record, they probably won’t prosecute.
    FWIW, the high preference point areas generally don’t have access issues. That’s why there is more demand than supply. The 0-2 point units are easy to draw but have tough access. The You Tube gurus fail to mention that fact.
    There is a little more to it than “subsidized grazing” because I can promise you the BLM doesnt spend one penny on maintenance.
    cut\'em

The government should exercise eminent domain and declare a 20' easement at everyone of the corners.

Problem solved.

On second thought, make it a 60' easement.

Screw the assholes that are trying to landlock hundreds of thousands acres of public land.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 06-03-2023 at 06:59 AM.

Eminent domain is never the answer.

Never?

Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    My note would’ve read “fuck off”
    Pretty sure I included that somewhere in the note.

What if .gov got out of the land owning business?
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Never?

Seriously?
    Seriously. Eminent domain is legalized theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Seriously. Eminent domain is legalized theft.
    Then stay the fuck off of interstate highways, electric grid, public water, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    There is a little more to it than “subsidized grazing” because I can promise you the BLM doesnt spend one penny on maintenance.
    Hence one of the reasons the grazing leases are so cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

They used a "ladder" so they could get their 4 wheelers across. The 7m was predicated on the loss of the square as essentially a part of their private holding. It was the correct result.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    What if .gov got out of the land owning business?
    See “what is the state of SC?” for details.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Pretty sure I included that somewhere in the note.
    My man

I just started getting my tags in the mail, and I decided to go online and make sure what I got was what I thought I was getting and to make sure of the season dates. It’s good to read the regs annually out here, as things change as they are constantly tweaking stuff. Well, they added the opportunity for me to take mule deer does and fawns to 2 of the anterless tags I drew…has been only whitetail anterless in the past for that tag type and area.

I also read the regulation that pertains to what constitutes trespassing. (Hell, I think I did…maybe there is something more specific buried in the regs) Accessing public right of way…it spells out that to trespass, a person must actually touch the ground surface of the private land. I don’t recall it spelling it out like that in the past (but I don’t scour the regs beyond what I’m looking to know), but that is pretty dang cut and dry. Maybe these rulings have already caused Game and Fish to re-write the regulations and spell it out clearly.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

No doubt they've already rewritten them and rightfully so.

Now to do something about surveyors.

What about the weather related deaths to Mule Deer and Pronghorn from winter 22-23 ? My friend in Laramie said it was the worst winter kill he can recall. Did that not calculate into fewer tags being issued?
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.