Thread: Texas cull or meat deer hunts

Default Texas cull or meat deer hunts

As this year is looking like it may be the first one since the mid 1980s that I won't have a lease or club to hunt, have any of you fine gentlemen done commercial/guided non-trophy hunts in Texas that you would recommend or suggest?

Looking for a different experience, quality folks to work with, and the opportunity to put meat in the freezer. Does and what the proprietor considers "cull" bucks are okay. I spent a lot of time looking on Google last night and the prices range from "reasonable" to "OMG that's an expensive doe".

STILL looking for a good lease or club - but when I balance the cost of a club+corn+gas+etc. vs a turn-key operation, the money almost seems to balance out in some cases. What sucks is it shortens my season from four and a half months to a few days. But I don't wanna sit the whole damn year out.

Not looking for the "Texas trophy deer" experience, as I don't want to take out a second mortgage. But prefer it not be high fence.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    As this year is looking like it may be the first one since the mid 1980s that I won't have a lease or club to hunt, have any of you fine gentlemen done commercial/guided non-trophy hunts in Texas that you would recommend or suggest?

Looking for a different experience, quality folks to work with, and the opportunity to put meat in the freezer. Does and what the proprietor considers "cull" bucks are okay. I spent a lot of time looking on Google last night and the prices range from "reasonable" to "OMG that's an expensive doe".

STILL looking for a good lease or club - but when I balance the cost of a club+corn+gas+etc. vs a turn-key operation, the money almost seems to balance out in some cases. What sucks is it shortens my season from four and a half months to a few days. But I don't wanna sit the whole damn year out.

Not looking for the "Texas trophy deer" experience, as I don't want to take out a second mortgage. But prefer it not be high fence.
    Depending on your budget I have a guy that my buddy used last year and spoke highly of. He killed a high 160 class.

Last edited by quack head 11; 06-01-2023 at 06:43 AM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Hunt public land in SC. Save on lease and corn.
    Last edited by CUducks648; 06-01-2023 at 07:04 AM.
    Life's a garden, Dig it.

I shot you a text, DC.

There is some excellent hunting in SC for the cost of a game management stamp. Not to mention all of the federal wildlife refuges open to deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    There is some excellent hunting in SC for the cost of a game management stamp.
    Go figure. I thought it all was pine and sweetgums.

Definitely good enough that if you just want some doe meat in the freezer I'd do that before I'd pay whatever it costs to have a guide put you on deer in Texas.

Save your money and hunt our public land, just don't show up in the spots I like!

I don't know what it's like in your area of the state but I don't see near the amount pressure as I've seen in other states. Not as good of a deer population, either, but at least I can have some peace.

That's not the case for turkeys or waterfowl on WMA. Still not a great population and way too many hunters.

Go to Texas. You only live once. If you're lucky enough to be awake on your death bed, you won't regret any trips you took for recreation and hunting in your lifetime.

If you really want to go to Texas and want meat, go shoot an axis deer.

Quote Originally Posted by holdin down the fort View Post
    Aint no lie here. Delicious.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

i just wanna go with you and be your spotter and give you a high five when you smack em
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by holdin down the fort View Post
    Best advice in the whole thread. That and filling the freezer on public. Shooting those dumbass animals ain't hard, even on public. Need to kill every basket racked 4 pointer you see before their dumb asses run under the front of somebody's truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

In and following for the rifle build.

#Planning.

i'm excited bc swamp rat is excited and knows guns.
    how could this be a bad thing?

that being said, you are welcome to one (1) free four point at my place any time.
    6pt is $50.
    8 pts or better (inside the ears) is $2.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i'm excited bc swamp rat is excited and knows guns.
    how could this be a bad thing?

that being said, you are welcome to one (1) free four point at my place any time.
    6pt is $50.
    8 pts or better (inside the ears) is $2.
    Deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Go to Texas. You only live once. If you're lucky enough to be awake on your death bed, you won't regret any trips you took for recreation and hunting in your lifetime.
    Yep.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Go to Texas and hunt public. One requires much more walking however.

I’d pay for a lease before I hunted with the poor people..

Axis deer and Nilgai are #1 collectively.. Find a place in TX where you can shoot both..

Also, lease a farm between you and the place you did hunt on.. Talk to somebody that sells seed/fertilizer, or find a turkey hunter that doesn’t care about deer..

And exactly what are you saving your money for? Somebody else to spend it?

Live your life and go shoot up the place!
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Go to Texas and hunt public. One requires much more walking however.
    Good luck with that.