Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Systems

Default Tracking Systems

I’m going to be in the market for a new tracking system for the dogs sometime between now and the fall of the year. Up until one night in March when we decided to coon hunt I was still using an Astro 320. It quit on me in the woods that night, thank God for a friends system or we’d have been building a fire and waiting until daylight to find our way out.

I haven’t kept up with the newer systems but I hear good things about the Alpha. Did I hear they make an Alpha2 now or did I just imagine that? What’s the difference in the two?

I would like to have tracking, tone, vibration, and shock all in one unit. What handheld and collars (2) do I need to be looking into?

Thanks
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Alpha 100 or 200. Tt15 collar will do everything you need. Unless you want the newest tt15x but I don't really see a need.

I like the Alpha 10, especially when only hunting one dog. It's simple and has great battery life. It has everything you asked for. It works well for tracking multiple dogs. However, managing (correcting) multiple dogs is more cumbersome. It's not nearly as convenient as a pro550 for training multiple dogs. I like the simplicity of the unit.

I’m running the Alpha 100 and it’s great for one dog bird hunting. I’ve got a few friends with the 200. They can switch between multiple dogs easily but they had some issues keeping the satellites connected.

Shoot me a PM and I'll put you in contact with a guy...just came out with 300i as well and tt25x...

Alpha is the Only option
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Alpha. 200. New TT25.
    The only difference I see in the new 300 is a so called brighter screen.

I’ve got a buddy that has an Alpha 100 for sale. If you are interested let me know and I’ll find out what he wants for it.

Alpha 200 and a TT15 collar is your best bet..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Does anybody have any honest feedback on a sportdog tracking system?

They seem to offer many of the features I’m looking for at a pretty decent price point, looks like I could get the sportdog and 2 collars for about the same as what an alpha and 1 collar would cost.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Currently the 200i, but soon i’ll upgrade to the 300i. No problems from any of them.

i don’t suggest any Mini style collars, i had 4 tt15 minis go out last year and luckily didn’t lose the dogs.

Buddy has the alpha 10 and i like it a lot for just one or two dogs.
    Windows Down!

If i’m turning out a dog worth 5-20,000 i want the best tracker available.
    Windows Down!

garmin has the alpha 300 and tt25 collars, i hear they are like the alpha 200/tt 15 but much better battery life

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    If i’m turning out a dog worth 5-20,000 i want the best tracker available.
    This we had a guy that hunted with us running the sportdog tracking system. He switched to Garmin quick. As Ray said if the dog you cut loose is worth a dollar put a Garmin around the dogs neck! I run a mixture of TT15 and 15minis haven't had any trouble from my minis yet. The new TT25 is supposed to be the size of the mini with better battery life and a better sleep mode.

Garmin is the only way to go in my opinion. I have been using them for over ten years to track my dogs. Great customer service and they stand behind their products.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I have 2-100 and a 200i with 15 or so tt15 and 4- t5. Both 100 and 200 have pros and cons. Will most likely get rid of my 100 this year and get a 300. Some of the guys at club it’s hard to train them the newer models. Very easy to learn but they still use flip phones only because they can’t find a bag phone. The alpha is the only way to go. Go ahead and get the tt25 and be done with it. Only way I’d get the non-training collar is if I was competitively coon or squirrel hunting and train models weren’t allowed.

I have the Alpha 100, Alpha 200i and recently picked up an Alpha 10. I really like the little Alpha 10, it only tracks up to 20 dogs but coupled with the Garmin Explore App on my phone it’s nice.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I have the Alpha 100, Alpha 200i and recently picked up an Alpha 10. I really like the little Alpha 10, it only tracks up to 20 dogs but coupled with the Garmin Explore App on my phone it’s nice.
    Does it tell you if they've been itching and/or if your flea meds have stopped working?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does it tell you if they've been itching and/or if your flea meds have stopped working?
    , no but it tells me my wife is still pissed off when I buy new toys.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I can call you in some pills to help with that.