Thread: Boat Trailer freshening up

Default Boat Trailer freshening up

Just an fyi, I picked up a high tide a few weeks ago that has a wesco galvanized trailer under it. The frame is in excellent condition but the axle and bunks had seen better days. I called Wesco and gave them the vin so I could order the parts and they wanted $517 just for the 2100 lb axle and 2 springs! A spring axle mind you, not torsion. I snatched the old one out from under it that afternoon and got it to Mt. Pleasant and Tommy Stone (the trailer shop) built me an identical axle that’s sealed, new springs, hardware, hubs plus all the bunk mounting hardware and it was under $700 and I had it in 36 hours. We also went with a 3500 lb axle, springs and tapered hubs/bearings because the cost difference was negligible. Took about 10 minutes to install and tighten and im ready for a cross country trip. You don’t find service like this much anymore.

He ain’t going to act like your best friend but he’s good and honest.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

He's helped us out more than once---fair and honest.

Tommy is good as is Charleston Trailer & Iron Knight. I’ve dealt with all them for trailer stuff & they all are great.

Is it actually better to size up on springs? Seems like it would make the whole system stiffer and beat up your stuff more. Maybe you just went up on axle and not springs, but still general question.

I have always heard good stuff about them

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    Is it actually better to size up on springs? Seems like it would make the whole system stiffer and beat up your stuff more. Maybe you just went up on axle and not springs, but still general question.
    It really didn’t stiffen it up at all, pulls great. Went with load range D tires also. I’ve got the stuff to do the bunks also but I’ve been fishing every break I get and haven’t made time.

tommy with out doubt is the best. Will take my stuff from the upstate down there just to do business with him

Glad I found this thread. Have a wesco trailer in similar shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Tommy is one of those rare people that gives you a fair price, real quick service and a great product.

Customer service at Wesco is awful. Tommy did me right. Highly recommended.

If you want to really upgrade the bunks, add some "teflon" pads on them. I used to have to back down far enough to float the boat. I put these on my flats boat trailer and now I have to make damn sure the winch is hooked up before I get on the ramp. When loading, I sometimes have to leave the engine in gear to hook the winch line so it doesn't slide back off the trailer as I walk to the front.
    Search Amazon for "Surfix Trailer Bunk Glides".

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Bunk-...03&sr=8-2&th=1

Besides running the best trailer shop around, Tommy kills more stuff than Ebola. He's a couple notches above "hard core" when it comes to the pursuit of game.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If you want to really upgrade the bunks, add some "teflon" pads on them. I used to have to back down far enough to float the boat. I put these on my flats boat trailer and now I have to make damn sure the winch is hooked up before I get on the ramp. When loading, I sometimes have to leave the engine in gear to hook the winch line so it doesn't slide back off the trailer as I walk to the front.
    Search Amazon for "Surfix Trailer Bunk Glides".

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Bunk-...03&sr=8-2&th=1

Besides running the best trailer shop around, Tommy kills more stuff than Ebola. He's a couple notches above "hard core" when it comes to the pursuit of game.
    A cheaper and more gelcoat friendly option is to shoot your carpet with silicone spray in the winter and melt some wax on it in the summer moths.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    A cheaper and more gelcoat friendly option is to shoot your carpet with silicone spray in the winter and melt some wax on it in the summer moths.
    Good advice
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Get a pair of led signal lights too. Last longer and you don't have to unplug them when you launch the boat. Best money spent on a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I tried every way possible to make the carpet bunks work better but there is just too much bunk surface area on my trailer. Carpet with silicone or wax is indeed cheaper but it's nowhere near as slick and durable as the teflon. The teflon bunk slides haven't given me any sign of stress cracks or scratches in the gel coat in the years since I put it on. Your mileage may vary but I'll put this on every trailer own from now on.