Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Craftsman Mower Will Not Start

Default Brand New Craftsman Mower Will Not Start

A young lady I know ask me to help her buy a mower. She ended up buying a new Craftsman from Lowe's that is a self-propelled walk-behind that is both pull and electric start. I followed all directions and it will not start. Fresh oil, fresh gas, spins freely but does not try to spark. I'm guessing it is not getting a spark, maybe part of the deadman switch. I am reaching out to the collective wisdom before I take it back. Any thoughts? BTW, it does not have a manual primer, I did try starting fluid with the air filter removed, it does not have a manual choke, nor does it have a fuel shut off. I'm open to trying anything. Thanks, MG

PS It is a Craftsman M270 if that matters to anyone.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Sounds like an oil sensor switch. What’s the motor?

Unscrew the spark plug and pull the cord and see if it's throwing a spark.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Check and make sure the handle bar isn’t blocking the blade from turning

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Sounds like an oil sensor switch. What’s the motor?
    It is the Briggs and Stratton 159cc and it came with a premeasured oil pouch that I poured in. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

According to parts diagram it does have a fuel shutoff

IMG_5773.jpg

Are you related to Lablover?
    Last edited by mello_collins; 05-29-2023 at 06:16 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    According to parts diagram it does have a fuel shutoff

IMG_5773.jpg

Are you related to Lablover?
    I wish it were that easy. The diagram and instruction books that come with are for several different models and this particular one does not have a fuel cut off. I also spark starting fluid just to make sure that it was not fuel related. I put on my spark plug tool this morning and there was no spark at all. Smelled gas on the spark plug when I initially pulled it. MG
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 05-29-2023 at 07:12 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by cam1195 View Post
    Check and make sure the handle bar isn’t blocking the blade from turning
    Good call, the first time I pulled, it would not turn. I turned it over to realize that the handles pulled out. It spins freely now, but to no avail. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Even with a gas shutoff valve, it would have sputtered or run with starter fluid if it was getting a spark.

The deadman switch would be my first suspicion. Make sure the cable is actuating it. If you can find the switch, check with your multimeter to see if it needs to be open or closed. Personally, I'd disconnect it on my own equipment. I hate having to restart the mower every time I let go of the handle to pick up a dog toy or move a garden hose.

I'd also look for the low oil sensor (if it has one) and maybe disconnect or ground it. Even though you put oil in it, the sensor might be stuck or defective. They put so much safety crap on new engines it can be frustrating.

I spent the better part of a day working on a generator with an oil sensor. It would crank up and then act like it starved for gas. After going through everything in the fuel system twice, I googled it and found out it was low on oil. Shortly after it started, it would suck the oil out of the pan and shut off. The oil would drain back down and it would easily start again.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Even with a gas shutoff valve, it would have sputtered or run with starter fluid if it was getting a spark.

The deadman switch would be my first suspicion. Make sure the cable is actuating it. If you can find the switch, check with your multimeter to see if it needs to be open or closed. Personally, I'd disconnect it on my own equipment. I hate having to restart the mower every time I let go of the handle to pick up a dog toy or move a garden hose.

I'd also look for the low oil sensor (if it has one) and maybe disconnect or ground it. Even though you put oil in it, the sensor might be stuck or defective. They put so much safety crap on new engines it can be frustrating.

I spent the better part of a day working on a generator with an oil sensor. It would crank up and then act like it starved for gas. After going through everything in the fuel system twice, I googled it and found out it was low on oil. Shortly after it started, it would suck the oil out of the pan and shut off. The oil would drain back down and it would easily start again.
    I think this is exactly where I am headed. I wish there was some straightforward way or primer on bypassing all of that crap. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I assume it involves jumpers, no way it can have as many as a riding mower. Thanks, MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

If it is brand new take it back now. Make them give her another one. I had just reread your first post. No sense farting around with brand new equipment that is broken.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 05-29-2023 at 08:20 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    If it is brand new take it back now. make them give her another one
    Makes all of the sense in the world, but the new one will be in a box as well, and my hope is that there is not something I am missing. The assembly/owners manual is written for five or six different models and each have some differences. If it were not a holiday weekend, I would think Craftsman has a support that might help. Frustrating. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Might wanna keep this post away from the refurbed boats for sale posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Might wanna keep this post away from the refurbed boats for sale posts
    Not exactly sure what that is supposed to mean, but I thank you for bringing your usual sensibility to the thread. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

My guess is this guy is the problem. It has a switch that gets depressed when the handle is squeezed. Has a faint schematic on it. I jumped it every way I could to no avail. Thoughts? MG

C062832A-9BE2-4EC4-AD87-8427582E370D.jpg

934579F5-64AE-4A62-9DC0-2D010A13E38F.jpg
    Dum Spiro Spero

Take it back and get another one. Shouldn’t do that out of the box

Edit to add: I worked in a lawnmower shop. This was our recommendation when someone would bring us a new mower they just bought and it would not work.
    Last edited by smitch320; 05-29-2023 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Take it back and get another one. Shouldn’t do that out of the box
    x2. I'd take it back and find another brand of mower. It ain't worth the aggravation no matter how good looking the girl may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold