Thread: Deer in the upstate

Default Deer in the upstate

I remember my grandpaw telling me the first time he ever saw deer around northern york county was in the early 80s. He lived here his whole life and was an avid hunter in the late 30's and early 40's. He said it was a big deal as a kid or teen if someone killed a fox. They mostly killed squirrels and rabbits just to eat. I do remember as a child my dad and uncles would go down to lochart to deer hunt because thats where they supposedly re stocked the deer in our area? Needless to say they are plentiful here now. Even as a teen we would go to the bamberg area to deer hunt because the population was so much more than here. So my question is, what happened to cause there to be no deer around this area for so long?it couldnt have been settlers that wiped them out, because im pretty sure the low country has always had a good population of deer.ive always just found it weird when people say there just werent alot of deer around this area. Huge change from now
    The price is firm.

By the early 1900’s nearly every tree had been cut and every animal was killed and sold.
    Deer and turkeys remained on the rivers and swamps but not in large numbers.
    Windows Down!

What him/he said.

Fact. Some say they were run out of the swamp due to construction. And they bloomed from there. Got letters from family discussing a deer sighting in 1940s, New Zion SC.

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Fact. Some say they were run out of the swamp due to construction. And they bloomed from there. Got letters from family discussing a deer sighting in 1940s, New Zion SC.
    There are still some there.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Boozizzles, there will probably always be game in that area. They wiped out the pork and the turk birds at some point. But couldn't eradicate said whitetail. A great example of how they all bounce back.

Boozizzles, there will probably always be game in that area. They wiped out the pork and the turk birds at some point. But couldn't eradicate said whitetail. A great example of how they all bounce back.
    There is a decent population of turkey and pigs in York county today

I am doing my best to eradicate the wild hog in Barnwell county. 30-ish in the past 9 months, and still covered up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    I am doing my best to eradicate the wild hog in Barnwell county. 30-ish in the past 9 months, and still covered up.
    Get you a pig brig. Catch 30-ish in a few days.

And find the prick turning them loose and dime on his ass.

You are losing ground with only 30 dead

Yes, the settlers wiped them out. It wasn't that hard to do either. It could happen again if dipshits don't stop shooting 10 every season over corn on their 5 acre "farms."

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Yes, the settlers wiped them out. It wasn't that hard to do either. It could happen again if dipshits don't stop shooting 10 every season over corn on their 5 acre "farms."
    I'm alright with it. And, I'll include equine in this.

If every deer and horse caught the same disease and died overnight it would be a net win for the world, in my opinion.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Got letters from family discussing a deer sighting in 1940s, New Zion SC.
    Heard stories for parts of Williamsburg county as well. Grandad spoke of the first time he saw a deer track in the 30's and no one in his family new exactly what it was. He said it wasn't long after that first deer track until you saw tracks everywhere. Killed his first one in the early 40's before he left for WWII.
    Last edited by HT; 05-31-2023 at 12:34 PM.

Hope you ki8ll a bunch up around the Williston-Elko area.
    Last edited by Model12; 05-31-2023 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    There is a decent population of turkey and pigs in York county today
    You keep the pigs on your side of York County. But, I’ll take the turkeys. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Hugo blew deer into Clarendon county from offshore.

We have some really nice deer at my farm near Blackstock but the pressure and coyotes are so intense they really don’t move much in the daytime except for the occasional late October early November rut buck at daybreak in the hardwoods or even rarer at dusk on a big field. I only have 135 acres and most people around me have small tracts too but it seems everyone hunts. October weekends around me sound like the original Desert Storm invasion. Thank god I don’t have hogs yet. I own Bookman Island in Richland County and it’s amazing the difference. My big bucks there eat corn out of my feeders almost daily and seem at ease. Unbelievable the difference. I love my Chester farm but my island deer are so much more relaxed. And so much easier to hunt!