Thread: Vehicle Key Options

Default Vehicle Key Options

Daughter has a 2014 Explorer. It only came with one key. It is not a push to start. What are my options for a new key without breaking the bank? Dealer wants $196 plus $65 programming. That's insane in my book. I'll just let her have one key and hope she never has an issue if that's what it cost. I know there are cheaper options out there, but I'd like some feedback from those that may have used your "abc locksmith" type guys. Any recommendations or absolute do not use folks? Go..

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Does KRT not do these?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Transponder keys are very expensive and vary in price greatly depending on the make and model of the vehicle. Our shop in West Columbia cuts and programs keys for most new cars and we save people quite a bit from a dealership. For that model we would charge $ 195 which includes the key, programming and a full year warranty. Do not take a chance with just one key because if that key is lost, the price goes up considerably plus you would probably have to have your vehicle towed to get it programmed. While this is one of the most profitable things we do, I hate charging as much as we do but the cost of the programmers and equipment needed and the cost of the key blanks is considerable. A lot of people want to hug us after we finish for saving them so much over a dealer.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

They sell spares and can do the programming for most models here at the local ace hardware.

My mom got a key done cheap at Berkeley lock smith for a 09 crv. Give them a call. I know hers was half the dealer

The Key Shop in Cola on Barnwell street
    Way better than a dealer and was less than $100
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Irmo Lock and Key can do about anything

Take Leroy’s advice. I did the same with a ‘08 1500 with one key. Got local hardware store to cut the eBay blank and it came with programming instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I did the inexpensive Ebay keys for my 14 Explorer, but as I recall ( it's been a few years) the programming instructions that came with the key didn't work. I got the correct instructions from a dealership.