Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bottom fishing reel?

Default Best bottom fishing reel?

What reel do you use, non electric? We currently use the Shimano torium. Looking for something new but not wanting to spend more than I have too.
    Low country redneck who moved north

What kind of bottom fishing?

Edit to add- I would just use whatever Salty uses- I think he is the resident expert on all things bottom fishing!
    Last edited by bitesize; 06-02-2023 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    What reel do you use, non electric? We currently use the Shimano torium. Looking for something new but not wanting to spend more than I have too.
    Accurate BV400 2 speed is the perfect all around reel paired with an OTI Fathom Blade 200g acid wrapped rod. A close second is the Accurate BV300 on a 100g OTI Fathom Blade Acid wrapped rod. A workhorse would be an AVET MXL G2 or Raptor on a St. Croix Mojo 300g rod, these are not nearly as smooth as the Accurates though but, you won't ever tear one up, those things are workhorses. The Torium is OK but drags are not great, gears use to be plastic not sure now. My BV300 on the 100G weighs in at about 1-1.5lb spooled with 50# power pro, people are surprised at what that little set up will beat on. One thing I notice is that people tend to bring the huge winches and broomstick rods on board and wonder why we are catching 10 fish to 1 over them. A 400 series Accurate has 30# of drag, the 300 is like 25#, the rods have a soft tip but load up quickly and have power and action to land bigger fish, you can fish chicken rigs, carolina rigs, butterfly or slow pitch jigs or just about anything else. I also have some BV500's on Pinnacle 400g acid wrapped rods but it's almost overkill on what we have around here.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 06-02-2023 at 05:34 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Give me a big Saragossa spinning setup and Ill show you how to fill the box and be home before 2pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Give me a big Saragossa spinning setup and Ill show you how to fill the box and be home before 2pm.
    I have a few Saragossa 8000’s on Pinnacle rods and some Slammer IV’s 5000, same size reels. The Slammers are smoother and have better drags.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Makaira 10.

ETA: acid wrapped to counter torque.
    Last edited by scdiver; 06-02-2023 at 07:45 PM.

What kind of bottom fishing?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Grouper/ snapper/ chicken rig. What kinda bottom fishing options are there? I had to Google acid wrapped as I had never heard that term.

Grouper/ snapper/ chicken rig. What kinda bottom fishing options are there? I had to Google acid wrapped as I had never heard that term.
    A rod for black sea bass, a rod for jigging, deep drop- need a quiver

I have an AVET EX50 2spd with 130# JB on a Pinnacle sword 50 bent butt as a dedicated grouper rod fishing big baits deeper.

I like as small and light as possible though.

I like to take someone with me to reel in the fish. It gets to be a lot like work, and I defer to whatever reel that person likes. Sally’s son is a great place to start.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I like to take someone with me to reel in the fish. It gets to be a lot like work, and I defer to whatever reel that person likes. Sally’s son is a great place to start.
    Smartest man in the room!

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    We would not do well on a boat together. I dont like reeling in fish offshore at all.

Y'all can complicate shit. Figured bottom fishing spoke volumes. Not electric, not jigging. . SD gave his opinion, may be a lil more expensive taste than mine.
    My recent ebay search took me to Camekoon, a Chinese knockoff, mixed reviews. For 150 I might just have to try one. Definitely gonna check into these acid wrapped rods. One of our Penn got high sticked and it snapped like a twig, a first for us.
    Last edited by mudflat; 06-03-2023 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    We would not do well on a boat together. I dont like reeling in fish offshore at all.
    I do the beer drinking and sometimes point and give orders.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Y'all can complicate shit. Figured bottom fishing spoke volumes. Not electric, not jigging. . SD gave his opinion, may be a lil more expensive taste than mine.
    My recent ebay search took me to Camekoon, a Chinese knockoff, mixed reviews. For 150 I might just have to try one. Definitely gonna check into these acid wrapped rods. One of our Penn got high sticked and it snapped like a twig, a first for us.
    Look for a FinNor Lethal if you the Accurates and AVETs are too much. Smooth and tough just a lot of composites.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I have a few Saragossa 8000’s on Pinnacle rods and some Slammer IV’s 5000, same size reels. The Slammers are smoother and have better drags.
    Love a Slammer. Becoming my favorite spinning reel.

Okuma Solterra 10s for average bottom fish….trigs, beeliners, blackfish.

Penn Senators and TLDs for Grouper and snapper.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Best reel

Zebco 33
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Have 3 torium 20s as well, work well for scamps and chicken rigs. I like the 2 speed for getting a fish up 25ft or so.

Penn Torque LD is a better price point.