Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor on the Street

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    SAFMC is the policy maker. There is an interesting video out made by Stephen Goldfinch on a dive, he and Englis Glover talk about the impact that the schools of ARS and Amberjack are having on these reefs. Grouper, BSB, Hogfish, lobster, vemillions etc are being wiped out. Once they've decimated the reef, they move on to the next one. The SAFMC uses Chevron traps to collect their samples, that is why they are saying the breeding stock is not up to acceptable levels, the only issue is that an ARS over 15-18# will not fit in their traps so they have no idea how many of those fish exist. Another excuse you hear in the video is that we don't have a season because we are catching too many of them, seriously. Then there is the being grouped with Florida and their fishery.

This entire thing could be solved by separating NC/SC/GA from Florida and letting each state issue tags with licenses and pay for extra if desired. Being caught with an untagged fish would carry stiff penalties; loss of privileges, loss of gear, loss of boat, heavy fine. All proceeds and tag fees go to research and habitat.
    I don’t love the idea of tags simply because I feel like that’s want they want. To take something completely away from us and then give us a little back and make us feel like we are getting a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congress needs term limits but not nearly as bad as bureaucrats do. These are all regulations not laws. They need to be challenged. The problem is you will have to go judge and jury shopping and it will take 20 years to litigate it. Then the only winner will be the lawyer.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I don’t love the idea of tags simply because I feel like that’s want they want. To take something completely away from us and then give us a little back and make us feel like we are getting a good deal.

ARS are never going to have a daily creel limit, too valuable to the commercial fishing industry, they won't give up any of their quota and there will always be a quota. I'd rather possess tags and be able to keep the 20+# fish we catch than trying to get them back to the bottom or throw a dead fish back. One tagged fish per person per vessel a trip or something similar such as cobia, minimum length etc. You'd have some idiots out there that wouldn't tag fish but eventually would be caught and made examples of. Most would abide the rules just like deer and turkey or slot reds, take a few and use their tags judiciously. It's not an ideal solution but it's a heck of a lot better than anything we currently have.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

telecheck?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Dive and voiceover by Goldfinch and Glover. Video lags from the voiceover but gives a little information on what goes on over these reefs. No grouper, BSB, few B-liners, a couple of hogs, few pinkies. Only thing they don't seem to like are ringtails.

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

ARS are never going to have a daily creel limit, too valuable to the commercial fishing industry, they won't give up any of their quota and there will always be a quota. I'd rather possess tags and be able to keep the 20+# fish we catch than trying to get them back to the bottom or throw a dead fish back. One tagged fish per person per vessel a trip or something similar such as cobia, minimum length etc. You'd have some idiots out there that wouldn't tag fish but eventually would be caught and made examples of. Most would abide the rules just like deer and turkey or slot reds, take a few and use their tags judiciously. It's not an ideal solution but it's a heck of a lot better than anything we currently have.
    “If a law is unjust, man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.”
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Black Sea Bass is going to be next………

Here is a question which I think is going to get some major pushback but hear me out. Would you be a proponent of a full bottom fishing closure for a specific time frame throughout the year to allow for an open season on everything?

Think about it….we close deer, turkey, ducks, dove and almost everything else to manage the population and birth/hatch their young we can definitely argue that the ARS population is healthy but I’m not sure we can say the same for other species (grouper/sea bass/etc). I think I would rather have that scenario than what we have now.

Including commercial guys?

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Including commercial guys?
    In a perfect world

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    email your rep?
    will you ask him about a bridge across Lake Murray too?

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    will you ask him about a bridge across Lake Murray too?
    It will happen….maybe not in my lifetime but bank on it

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Black Sea Bass is going to be next………

Here is a question which I think is going to get some major pushback but hear me out. Would you be a proponent of a full bottom fishing closure for a specific time frame throughout the year to allow for an open season on everything?

Think about it….we close deer, turkey, ducks, dove and almost everything else to manage the population and birth/hatch their young we can definitely argue that the ARS population is healthy but I’m not sure we can say the same for other species (grouper/sea bass/etc). I think I would rather have that scenario than what we have now.

You don’t start killing some ARS, there won’t be any BSB. Places we use to catch 20”+ fish regularly are barren. Holes I had the produced 16”+ fish are empty. Plenty of ARS. Places I’d catch small gags and scamp don’t produce. Grouper is closed from Jan 1 until April 1, not helping. Most of these reefs see limited pressure in the winter anyways. And there’s far more hard and live bottom out there than the charts show coupled with guys that don’t know how to read their bottom machine either. Pressure may affect some places but my spots rarely see a boat and have those issues.

You don’t start killing some ARS, there won’t be any BSB. Places we use to catch 20”+ fish regularly are barren. Holes I had the produced 16”+ fish are empty. Plenty of ARS. Places I’d catch small gags and scamp don’t produce. Grouper is closed from Jan 1 until April 1, not helping. Most of these reefs see limited pressure in the winter anyways. And there’s far more hard and live bottom out there than the charts show coupled with guys that don’t know how to read their bottom machine either. Pressure may affect some places but my spots rarely see a boat and have those issues.
    I agree with you on the ARS and that they need to be harvested or it’s going to decimate the other fish population. I’ve seen the same as you on my spots. Granted, I don’t go often but my spots where I could bank on loading up on BSB and trigger fish haven’t produced worth a crap in the past few years. They are either being eaten or run off.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    “If a law is unjust, man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.”
    i think this quote pertains to more ummmmm important things than red snapper limits.
    Your guns all lines up ready to overthrow that tyrannical government tomorrow?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I wouldn’t put what I would and wouldn’t do pertaining to fishing regulations in writing for the world to see but that’s just me. The best thing to do on red snapper weekend is stay home, everyone with a 20ft Sea Hunt is out ready to pull up next to you.

Meh that’s just my general attitude toward any law put forth by idiots I don’t know, who pass laws that are unreasonable.

If I ever decided to ride around with my seatbelt off, with a snapper sandwich, and a weed cookie, the law can kiss my ass.

Fine me.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

This has been the biggest thing I noticed, I had a few spots we never caught ARS at, no other pressure that I ever knew of, catch anything you wanted. Since the snapper rolled in, it has been barren, no BSB, B-liners, triggers, they have essentially turned into wolves of the sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    This has been the biggest thing I noticed, I had a few spots we never caught ARS at, no other pressure that I ever knew of, catch anything you wanted. Since the snapper rolled in, it has been barren, no BSB, B-liners, triggers, they have essentially turned into wolves of the sea.
    Curious…. What do you all think these areas (non artificial reef areas I guess particularly) were like before they were fished extensively and left undisturbed? Completely natural, what do you think the makeup of the fish population looked like?
    I find a lot of these discussions interesting. Kind of like the Santee delta. Manipulation by man created these areas that are abundant with wildlife. Where I hunt in Canada…. All field hunts hunting over leftover grains etc that accumulate the birds. Nothing about it is really natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Curious…. What do you all think these areas (non artificial reef areas I guess particularly) were like before they were fished extensively and left undisturbed? Completely natural, what do you think the makeup of the fish population looked like?
    I find a lot of these discussions interesting. Kind of like the Santee delta. Manipulation by man created these areas that are abundant with wildlife. Where I hunt in Canada…. All field hunts hunting over leftover grains etc that accumulate the birds. Nothing about it is really natural.

Those areas probably had a lot more sharks on them. Sharks do love an ARS.