Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
SAFMC is the policy maker. There is an interesting video out made by Stephen Goldfinch on a dive, he and Englis Glover talk about the impact that the schools of ARS and Amberjack are having on these reefs. Grouper, BSB, Hogfish, lobster, vemillions etc are being wiped out. Once they've decimated the reef, they move on to the next one. The SAFMC uses Chevron traps to collect their samples, that is why they are saying the breeding stock is not up to acceptable levels, the only issue is that an ARS over 15-18# will not fit in their traps so they have no idea how many of those fish exist. Another excuse you hear in the video is that we don't have a season because we are catching too many of them, seriously. Then there is the being grouped with Florida and their fishery.

This entire thing could be solved by separating NC/SC/GA from Florida and letting each state issue tags with licenses and pay for extra if desired. Being caught with an untagged fish would carry stiff penalties; loss of privileges, loss of gear, loss of boat, heavy fine. All proceeds and tag fees go to research and habitat.
I dont love the idea of tags simply because I feel like thats want they want. To take something completely away from us and then give us a little back and make us feel like we are getting a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk