Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rumor on the Street

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    That’s great.

Do you catch quality fish off the remaining live bottom in 30-50ft?
    Yep.

Thick yesterday. This one was 38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thick everyday.....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Yeah there’s no shortage of those things
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Pretty sure the only reason people care about snapper is because the government says they cant do it.
    I don't know a damn thing about red snapper, but that's (govt. overreach) the only reason I care about a whole bunch of stuff that I otherwise wouldn't give much thought to. Seems like a damn fine reason to care about something, you know...freedom from tyrants that are tirelessly working to ensure that more and more of our freedoms are eroded and our interests controlled until all of a sudden we wake up and realize we can't do a freaking thing we want without asking for permission or paying heavy fees or penalties. I've never caught a red snapper, and I probably never will, but if they are running and regulating the fisheries in a manner that remotely resembles anything else they are currently running or regulating, then I care deeply about snapper.
    I cant wait till Im grown is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I don't know a damn thing about red snapper, but that's (govt. overreach) the only reason I care about a whole bunch of stuff that I otherwise wouldn't give much thought to. Seems like a damn fine reason to care about something, you know...freedom from tyrants that are tirelessly working to ensure that more and more of our freedoms are eroded and our interests controlled until all of a sudden we wake up and realize we can't do a freaking thing we want without asking for permission or paying heavy fees or penalties. I've never caught a red snapper, and I probably never will, but if they are running and regulating the fisheries in a manner that remotely resembles anything else they are currently running or regulating, then I care deeply about snapper.
    I get what you are saying but comparing fisheries data and seasons with the rest of the federal government’s agenda seems a bit like a stretch.

You can have a declining population and still be able to catch a lot of fish in certain spots. Has any data come out to counter NOAAs or is it purely anecdotal?

I guess I should have asked what red snapper bring to the table that make them so desirable compared to any other bottom fish that make it so important to keep a year round season open?

I get what you are saying but comparing fisheries data and seasons with the rest of the federal government’s agenda seems a bit like a stretch.

You can have a declining population and still be able to catch a lot of fish in certain spots. Has any data come out to counter NOAAs or is it purely anecdotal?

I guess I should have asked what red snapper bring to the table that make them so desirable compared to any other bottom fish that make it so important to keep a year round season open?
    Is any fisheries data all that precise? Who’s data would counter NOAA? The state already acknowledged there are plenty of fish and opened it in the waters they control. NOAA is a prime example of give them an inch and they will take a mile.
    cut\'em

Numbers are growing. There is a sustainable fishery but not one with a generous creel limit. We manage other species through limited catch with much less data on population numbers ie: snowy, yellow edge and red grouper. Right now there are a lot of fish being killed that only benefit sharks and crabs, not those of us who spend a lot of money to catch these and other species.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

When NMFS added some magical data that contained several fish that were supposedly 40-50 years old the model went to what you see now. Closed season with no end in site until they find some 50!year old fish in their sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Numbers are growing. There is a sustainable fishery but not one with a generous creel limit. We manage other species through limited catch with much less data on population numbers ie: snowy, yellow edge and red grouper. Right now there are a lot of fish being killed that only benefit sharks and crabs, not those of us who spend a lot of money to catch these and other species.
    Good to hear. Agreed on the high mortality of release on many of those fish.
    I admittedly don’t have any information beyond previous conversations with individuals tied to it through NOAA as it doesn’t impact me/the fishing I do.
    I have always found it funny how passionate/heated some people get over this topic.

Good to hear. Agreed on the high mortality of release on many of those fish.
    I admittedly don’t have any information beyond previous conversations with individuals tied to it through NOAA as it doesn’t impact me/the fishing I do.
    I have always found it funny how passionate/heated some people get over this topic.
    We catch 1-5 a trip on average though we did catch 27 on a trip in December. It was crazy, everywhere we moved to we had ARS. I still think you buy tags like you do other game you keep them. Benefits the research and enforcement entities we deal with, it’s a solution to the problem. No big deal, we’ll fish next weekend if the weather allows, big fish in the box, small fish will be put back down.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I dont care much either way as I sold my offshore boat, but I fall squarely in the group of more restriction based on junk science/lobbyist pressure forming fisheries (or anything for that matter) is wrong and screwing the regular folks.

I am not coming at you at all, but would it be "funny" if they changed the regulations that directly impacted you? Probably not. We are all guilty of that mentality, myself included.

I will say its funny how much people will argue online with strangers about it, and maybe thats how you meant it. Go hang out in the Carolinas section of THT and read anything fisheries related and you will see what I am talking about. But thats pretty much anywhere online these days, but I digress.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

There was a pretty constant stream of floating red snappers from the boats that were fishing around us last weekend. The closest boat would swim the snapper back and forth by the lip over the side of the boat like a bass you're trying to revive, like that would magically compress its swim bladder back in. No descending device. I bet more get killed due to negligence on any give day with sub 2.5' seas than will on the open season dates. Tags or a conservative limit, even one per person or boat, would at least keep some waste from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post

I am not coming at you at all, but would it be "funny" if they changed the regulations that directly impacted you? Probably not. We are all guilty of that mentality, myself included.
    Not to derail but I would be all for tightening restrictions inshore.

Not to derail but I would be all for tightening restrictions inshore.
    Lakes get bad between the glitter boats running 70-100 everywhere and the wake boats throwing 4 swells close to docks, boat ramps, and other vessels.

Well, looks like early predictions are coming to fruition. 15-20mph SW winds and 3-5’ seas.

And to think, Saturday we put 7 in the boat in 45min between 22-30”, #8 got shortened to 8” by a tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    There was a pretty constant stream of floating red snappers from the boats that were fishing around us last weekend. The closest boat would swim the snapper back and forth by the lip over the side of the boat like a bass you're trying to revive, like that would magically compress its swim bladder back in. No descending device. I bet more get killed due to negligence on any give day with sub 2.5' seas than will on the open season dates. Tags or a conservative limit, even one per person or boat, would at least keep some waste from happening.
    Ain't now way I'm swimming a fish back and forth trying to revive him out in the ocean. At least not with my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Well, looks like early predictions are coming to fruition. 15-20mph SW winds and 3-5’ seas.

And to think, Saturday we put 7 in the boat in 45min between 22-30”, #8 got shortened to 8” by a tiger.
    Im not shocked about the weather. Almost getting to the point where I dont even care anyone. Im not going to get beat to death.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I’m not shocked about the weather. Almost getting to the point where I don’t even care anyone. I’m not going to get beat to death.

Yep, we started fishing some deeper stuff. I can keep yellow eye snapper, cubera and some others not to mention the grouper.

We're planning for Friday and Saturday. Gonna take a miracle.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master