Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rumor on the Street

I wonder that too. I would have to think cannibalism plays a factor once an ecosystem gets off balance.

We’re not even decent at managing fisheries in 100k acre freshwater lakes, it’s laughable to think we can manage marine fisheries.

Set the snapper limit at 25 inches and 1 per person a day.

Multiple dives a month during the summer months to monitor high traffic areas over a 5 year period.

Report finds and adjust.

At least it’s something.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Meh that’s just my general attitude toward any law put forth by idiots I don’t know, who pass laws that are unreasonable.

If I ever decided to ride around with my seatbelt off, with a snapper sandwich, and a weed cookie, the law can kiss my ass.

Fine me.
    i'm with you on that libertarian lean but I dont like cops or fines.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and those interested....and i cant remember the name of the documentary or whatever.
    keystone species? something like that. dude removed all the clams (?) from some tidal pool and watched what happened years later.
    its a scientific phenomenon that when you remove just one crucial species it collapses the whole ecosystem.

not sure if that is in play here but certainly interesting to study.

The interesting part is if you think about it, before people really bottom fished (let’s use 1900 as an arbitrary number) the red snapper didn’t wipe out the other fish population so why is it occurring now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://scetv.pbslearningmedia.org/r...media-gallery/

b35w==i dont know. but i admit i would listen to those that know more than me. thats where bog and I differ a tad. i dont know enough to call it a silly law. it doesnt pass the eye test but i dont know enough simply to ignore it.

and i just like to eat the critters not work so damn hard to catch them.

i will say this with some confidence---Dont mess with Mother Nature.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    The interesting part is if you think about it, before people really bottom fished (let’s use 1900 as an arbitrary number) the red snapper didn’t wipe out the other fish population so why is it occurring now?

You have to remember none of the other species were being harvest either, so now you have take of multiple species, with completely restricted take of a main predatory species. People are the biggest factor, it's a trickle down effect after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Can’t blame just the snapper as lion fish can really mess shit up also. Lots of lion fish in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post

Because the shrimp have moved north?

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Can’t blame just the snapper as lion fish can really mess shit up also. Lots of lion fish in that video.
    Recent Lionfish rodeo at Destin / Ft Walton turned in a new record number. 24,000+ . Surpassing the record of 13,000+ in the prior year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...cd68c6bb&ei=17
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and those interested....and i cant remember the name of the documentary or whatever.
    keystone species? something like that. dude removed all the clams (?) from some tidal pool and watched what happened years later.
    its a scientific phenomenon that when you remove just one crucial species it collapses the whole ecosystem.

not sure if that is in play here but certainly interesting to study.
    There is definitely truth to keystone species and removal etc.
    I often find myself wondering about human management of natural resources etc. Were natural resources unable to self manage so we needed to step in because we know what is best?

Default Rumor on the Street

Last edited by Islandguy85; 05-24-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    You have to remember none of the other species were being harvest either, so now you have take of multiple species, with completely restricted take of a main predatory species. People are the biggest factor, it's a trickle down effect after that.
    Fair argument. I still wonder what a fair balance would look like without our manipulation. I think it is also hard to gauge that on any artificial reef. Prior to the artificial reef being in any given spot it was likely desert. If you go 10 feet off a reef in SC it is dead sand bottom until the next piece of structure usually.

I had a similar conversation with the gator crew that does work in the delta. They are all for preserving the environment and the alligators but it was like I sprung something on them they had never considered when I asked how many gator’s they thought would be in the delta without the man made dike ecosystems. I don’t even really mind alligators. I have done some work with those guys and wrangled quite a few. Pretty amazing dinosaurs that just need to be respected. Is there an abnormally high population in the delta due to man made environments and an abundance of food to go along with it? I think possibly so.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 05-24-2023 at 06:38 PM.

I’d would’ve loved to have seen all the live bottom in the 30-50ft range before the shrimp trawlers destroyed it all.

100 years ago there was live bottom where the shipping channel bouys are just past the jetties.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I’d would’ve loved to have seen all the live bottom in the 30-50ft range before the shrimp trawlers destroyed it all.

100 years ago there was live bottom where the shipping channel bouys are just past the jetties.
    There’s 1000’s of patches of live and hard bottom out there not on charts still. Just got to be able to read the sonar to differentiate it. Lots of guys buy $10-$20k electronics packages but can’t distinguish between that and sand.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 05-24-2023 at 07:04 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I grouper fish a bit, live bait, no chicken rigs as I have no use for beeliners, silvers, and grunts. We have one on the boat who chicken rigs as he loves quantity

My boys also dive and spearfish

I find it harder and harder to catch good fish without having to fish farther and deeper. The predominate species on their cameras on most bottom is amberjack and red snapper.
    Lion fish are also showing up in volume on bottom we have never seen them on before.

Last edited by flopduster; 05-24-2023 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    There’s 1000’s of patches of live and hard bottom out there not on charts still. Just got to be able to read the sonar to differentiate it. Lots of guys buy $10-$20k electronics packages but can’t distinguish between that and sand.
    My old Sitex paper machine would pic up some stuff. I still got my book
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Still is. Just gotta know where to look

That’s great.

Do you catch quality fish off the remaining live bottom in 30-50ft?

That’s great.

Do you catch quality fish off the remaining live bottom in 30-50ft?
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Recent Lionfish rodeo at Destin / Ft Walton turned in a new record number. 24,000+ . Surpassing the record of 13,000+ in the prior year.
    Lionfish goes for $6/lb and can be sold by rec fishermen in FL with the correct license. There is an exemption that allows more than the 100lbs limit when catching/selling lionfish.

If you haven’t had any before, they are DELICIOUS!!!
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter