Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha F70 “upper casing”

Default Yamaha F70 “upper casing”

Hit something 2 weeks ago going down the river. Was not a hard hit, I’ve definitely had worse, so I kept driving. Ran the boat again last weekend 40 plus miles with no problems. But when I pulled it out today for a wash I noticed this piece on the upper casing was broken. Can’t believe I didn’t notice it sooner.
    I was told over the phone by the dealer today $650 for parts and $1500 in labor.

1) Do you think it’s ok to run as is for now?
    2) I have full insurance on the boat. Is this something they’d cover?

IMG_0578.jpg

Insurance should cover.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

It could’ve cracked it and fell off the second time you ran. Prob won’t notice a huge difference. May effect some performance, maybe some fuel economy, but it will probably run like that forever with no major problems. This is 100% opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insurance will cover it.

As long as it’s “sudden and abrupt” insurance should kick in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas. I’ll call insurance Monday.

Kind of blows my mind. I’ve hit plenty of stumps/logs over the years that were a much harder hit than this. Should have turned around and took a look at what it was but was short on time and gas. Something floating just below the surface in 30ft of water.

Performance wise I didn’t even notice a difference. Just worried about it causing other problems until it’s fixed.

To answer question 1, you are ok to run it as is. That fin is only there to divert any water from being sprayed up towards your transom. If it wasn’t so new and under insurance I wouldn’t hesitate to grab the angle grinder and flap disc to clean up and re-shape.

Not a NEED to fix and is well out of the water while on plane.

Good welder and a can of Yamaha spray paint could make it look good enough. If not looking to chase insurance.

Save yourself a major headache and don’t go through insurance.

It’s fine.

Where are you located?

Find a welder close to you and he’ll have it right in about 3 minutes.

Prop Shop in west cola
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I wouldn’t file a claim on $2100
    cut\'em

You can likely find a working lower unit for less than that. It's really cosmetic and won't affect performance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Willy, this is above the lower....

I'd run it or have it repaired as stated.

Certainly not a claim for me.

Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Why not file a claim?

I’m in Conway.
    Last edited by Cwaysvt; 05-20-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Get some quotes.....it may be cheaper to get repaired than your deductible.

Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

It would probably be worth it to run it by Dunn's Welding & Machine Shop and let Craig look at it. He might can repair it for less than your deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    Willy, this is above the lower....

Good catch... that part of the motor is out of the water on most rigs that are ideally set up anyway, so it's just cosmetic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Lots of good points.

What boggles my mind is if you hit something submerged, why is that spray shield broken? What I think happened is you hit something lower and the prop kicked whatever it was up to the spray shield causing the break.

You could have hair line fractures in the oh shit part of the lower unit that wont appear until it's had enough and blows apart underway leaving you without power in a bad stretch of that river, and I would never want to be without power on that river.

I wouldnt want to file a claim on something <$2k either but I'd also not want to be denied a claim down the road when you have a catastrophic failure on a bad river who's root cause was from this event.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Big brother makes some valid points. That being said, Part 22, I find it hard to believe that’s a 1500$ install. I would remove the lower cowling and see how everything bolts up as the diagram doesn’t show it great and then replace it myself.
    https://www.simyamaha.com/parts/use-...16&category=13

The prop kicking something forward doesnt make sense either. If the prop kicked it up, it would have broken the back not the front. Not sure if that came from something you hit.

Tiller or remote steer?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton