Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowcountry Boil for 45 - 50 People Question

Default Lowcountry Boil for 45 - 50 People Question

I've been asked to cook for a nursing school graduation party for my future daughter in law. Looks like the final head count is gonna come in around 45-50 people. I've done a ton of boils over my life but only for 10-15 people at most. Pretty sure my pot is an 80qt but I'm already planning on cooking with two pots. Any other tips or suggestions from the braintrust?

Call it Frogmore Stew…..you’ll get more street cred

Season water and bring to boil
    Boil Red potatoes 20 min
    Add Sausage 5 min
    Add Corn 5 min
    Add Shrimp 3-5 min

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/2lb shrimp and sausage, 4 potato’s, 1 ear of corn per person is what I usually do and typically have just the right amount.

Borrow a Carolina Steamer, runs and you’re done with leftovers.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Do everything except for the shrimp then dump it in a cooler. It will stay hot for a long while. You can have all that done and wait till the last minute whenever you need to put the shrimp in. Helps free up a little space and can really help with your timing.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Shrimp for 1 minute at the end and kill the boil with frozen corn. Let it soak. It’ll be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Call it Frogmore Stew…..you’ll get more street cred

Season water and bring to boil
    Boil Red potatoes 20 min
    Add Sausage 5 min
    Add Corn 5 min
    Add Shrimp 3-5 min

This is what I do and using the above mentioned quantities. With the exception that I kill the flame as soon as I add the shrimp or before and let the shrimp “kill the boil”

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    1/2lb shrimp and sausage, 4 potato’s, 1 ear of corn per person is what I usually do and typically have just the right amount.
    If there’s a lot of womens there you can back off the shrimp a little. Maybe 1/4 lb per.

We did one for church and had tons left over.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Do everything except for the shrimp then dump it in a cooler. It will stay hot for a long while. You can have all that done and wait till the last minute whenever you need to put the shrimp in. Helps free up a little space and can really help with your timing.
    That’s a good tip. I do it for a crowd of about 20-30 a couple times a year when we’re at the beach, and the upstairs crowd that preps the table, drinks, etc has, more than a few times, found a way to drag it out, and I end up getting pissed because the timing is off. I also learned long ago who not to ask to bless it. The blessing is to thank the Lord for the food, and can be done in six to ten words. Anything more than 10 seconds is getting preachy and/or personal and you should save it for when there isn’t a giant pile of exposed food getting cold. It’s not a big deal in the summer, but when it’s cold out and that basket gets dumped, it’s time to eat, not ask the Lord to be with the rest of the family and friends that couldn’t make and list them individually.
    Last edited by wskinner; 05-18-2023 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    Shrimp for 1 minute at the end and kill the boil with frozen corn. Let it soak. It’ll be perfect

This.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Pro tip

Timing is everything especially on the shrimp.

Tripp, I have a pot big enough to do the whole thing at once, if you want it. Just let me know and I can get it to you or you can come get it.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post

If you want the shrimp to pull in flavor this is the best method to do or either have a bucket of ice to dump in as soon as shrimp are done. They don’t take long 90-120 seconds then stop the cooking process. Overcooking them is as bad as no seasoning in them.

Frozen corn is a fopaux. I always use fresh corn.

1/3 lb each of corn and sausage. If you insist on doing potatoes, do them in a separate pot. Nothing worse than starchy shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    1/3 lb each of corn and sausage. If you insist on doing potatoes, do them in a separate pot. Nothing worse than starchy shrimp.
    I don't do my potatoes in a separate pot, but I do cook them first and remove them before doing anything else. I hate for them to start falling apart in the pot. It takes a little longer to complete the meal, but it works IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    or starchy anything else...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Frozen corn is a fopaux. I always use fresh corn.
    Especially this time of year when sweet corn is in season.

Nurses you say?

Need any help?

Thanks fellas!