Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowcountry Boil for 45 - 50 People Question

Add a couple eggs and whole mushrooms for a different treat. Not traditional but it is always a hit.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Frozen corn is a fopaux. I always use fresh corn.
    I’d rather kill the boil with frozen corn than adding ice and I absolutely love fresh corn. I’ll be honest, the corn is not what I’m filling up on when I’m eating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Corn is for left overs the next day. I'm going after the good stuff while it is hot.

And do throw in some mushrooms. They are delicious!
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nurses you say?

Need any help?
    Great way to get yo arse beat there sir!

Just trying to help. Dang.

You should look into it.

#0DarkThirty over here.
    Last edited by Glenn; 05-19-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    Shrimp for 1 minute at the end and kill the boil with frozen corn. Let it soak. It’ll be perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This x1000

Dump it out and stir in ole bay and some Texas Pete, pro tip.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    Add a couple eggs and whole mushrooms for a different treat. Not traditional but it is always a hit.
    Yes on the mushrooms, they take on a lot of the other flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    I'm not gonna ridicule you because I like you. But just know, I was thinking about it.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    I'm not gonna ridicule you because I like you. But just know, I was thinking about it.
    Don’t knock it til you try it. The boiled eggs come out decent, but the mushrooms suck up more flavor than anything else in the pot. I promise they both will get eaten.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Taste like a ramen egg?

This is pretty good stuff. It goes a long way and can get spicey for some people.
    352EC2DF-22D1-4033-A01B-C6303B2F78C5.jpeg

Shrimp boiled longer than 120 secs are more pencil erasers than boiled shrimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    1/3 lb each of corn and sausage. If you insist on doing potatoes, do them in a separate pot. Nothing worse than starchy shrimp.
    another pro leaving tips
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Cook the shrimp last and by itself after the other ingredients are out of the pot. Then pour the shrimp over them on the table. I've found that helps the shrimp not overcook by being smothered by potatoes and sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post
    I've been asked to cook for a nursing school graduation party for my future daughter in law. Looks like the final head count is gonna come in around 45-50 people. I've done a ton of boils over my life but only for 10-15 people at most. Pretty sure my pot is an 80qt but I'm already planning on cooking with two pots. Any other tips or suggestions from the braintrust?
    Tell your DIL Congratulations, quite an accomplishment.

Main advice I can give you is make sure you get enough shrimp

I was at similar gathering few years back and either someone had no clue what they were doing or twice as many people came as invited but guy did everything perfect until I saw him add a small bag of shrimp (maybe 5lbs at best) to the boil Then one yankee bitch was complaining because she had to peel her 2 shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by Duracraft View Post
    Cook the shrimp last and by itself after the other ingredients are out of the pot. Then pour the shrimp over them on the table. I've found that helps the shrimp not overcook by being smothered by potatoes and sausage.
    Way I do it
    Last edited by tprice; 05-23-2023 at 04:52 AM.

Turned out pretty good. It wasn't as spicy as I usually make it for our family but everyone seemed to like it. I appreciate the tips guys.