Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown top planting times

Default Brown top planting times

When do you guys plant your brown top and Proso? I assume I want some maturing by around August 1st, and some later? Right? Wrong? Can’t do sunflowers due to too much deer pressure. I’m new to the dove field prep world. Thanks

Google Clemson extension dove field. Good guide to go by

never
    bc it sucks
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Morning toofer. Upstate figure 60 days on proso, shorter on brown top. Good luck with your field sir.

morning
    if I dont get rain today, I'll be even grumpier by tomorrow...

millet still sucks. and you cant keep it clean. its silly. doves like sunflowers.
    sometimes, in dec and jan, they like corn.
    the end

I agree it is ~60 days in all the literature.......but.......that seems to be from germination.

You want it dried out really well because it works best burned or at least bush hogged.

In other words, give yourself 90 days and you won't be disappointed. No one has ever been upset about their dove field being ready a week or two early.

Plus, the rain is better in May.
    Last edited by DJP; 05-18-2023 at 04:31 PM.

I’d way prefer sunflowers but the previous owner tried it and fed the deer and had no luck getting them to maturity. I got access to it last year before the season and it was all brown top and sorghum and we had a few good shoots. I’m not too worried about doves once deer season starts so I’m mainly wanting a few good weeks out of it. we bushhogged some strips and disced a little and it worked good. I know enough to know doves are there one and not the next. Hard to predict.

i'll come build you a hot fence in a half day and we can go see the tigers play....

I like millet because doves like millet. A lot of the birds we kill early in the season have more millet than sunflower seeds in their craw. Plant by 6/15 and you will have plenty of seed by opening day. I leave it standing until a few weeks into the season. Once it’s on the ground, what doesn’t get eaten rots or sprouts pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlisle View Post
    I like millet because doves like millet. A lot of the birds we kill early in the season have more millet than sunflower seeds in their craw. Plant by 6/15 and you will have plenty of seed by opening day. I leave it standing until a few weeks into the season. Once it’s on the ground, what doesn’t get eaten rots or sprouts pretty quickly.

What variety do you prefer to plant? I have some open ground beside sunflowers and I thought about planting some..

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i'll come build you a hot fence in a half day and we can go see the tigers play....
    2th - I’m open to suggestions for sure.

I planted a strip yesterday on the edge of the sunflowers and corn. Will plant another strip in a few weeks.
    Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.- Genesis 27:3

I have seen them feed on sunflowers for a few weeks and then switch to the brown top in the same field but separated crops. Every dove switched over to the brown top at once......and there was still plenty of sunflowers.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-18-2023 at 10:00 PM.

I planted sunflowers and put an electric fence out three weeks ago.

I then top sowed a mixture of cow peas, beans, sunflowers and proso, outside the fence, then drug it in. My intent is to feed deer then doves. I don't care if weeds are in it. Doves love weed too. LOL

I will mow and disc some and burn if I need to.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 05-19-2023 at 06:28 AM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    morning
    if I dont get rain today, I'll be even grumpier by tomorrow...

millet still sucks. and you cant keep it clean. its silly. doves like sunflowers.
    sometimes, in dec and jan, they like corn.
    the end
    It's easy to keep clean. Just overspray with 2,4D if weeds are in millet while its growing. If there is grass intrusion after millet matures overspray with glyphosate.
    To burn Millet once it's completely dead, bushhog the millet to shatter the seed against the cool dirt. Then ring it off with drip torch same day you mow it. This creates bare dirt, no stems, and exposes more seed than you you could pour out of a sack......works best in December....
    Last edited by BRR; 05-19-2023 at 06:38 AM.

Dumb question, but I’m going to be drilling it in the ground. Should I just fertilize on top and then plant? Didn’t know if the fertilizer might do something funky with the germination if it’s not drug in. Sorry if an elementary question.

Plow, cultivate, spread fertilizer, then plant it. Cultivate it for a good soft bottom. Them doves have tender feet. Fertilizer won’t mess anything up instead it will be helpful.
    Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    What variety do you prefer to plant? I have some open ground beside sunflowers and I thought about planting some..
    If I’m planting a lot of it I mix brown top and proso. If I’m doing strips I just use brown top because it is cheap and easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    It's easy to keep clean. Just overspray with 2,4D if weeds are in millet while its growing. If there is grass intrusion after millet matures overspray with glyphosate.
    To burn Millet once it's completely dead, bushhog the millet to shatter the seed against the cool dirt. Then ring it off with drip torch same day you mow it. This creates bare dirt, no stems, and exposes more seed than you you could pour out of a sack......works best in December....
    its still millet

there's a reason birds eat all the different seeds out of a feeder, but leave the millet alone or eat it last.