Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pigs

Default Pigs

Our corral trap has cleared out 15 pigs in 24 hours. We got 6 the first night and figured it needed to rest. Late last night 9 more pushed in through the gate. They’re gone and I doubt it made a dent in the population. The irritating thing is they are looking less like Russians and more like feral hogs every year. I sure hope someone isn’t releasing pigs in the area.

As long as there are hog dog owners, there will be released hogs. Self fulfilling prophesy...

What is the point of releasing pigs nowadays? And why go to the trouble, they are all but everywhere…

My goal is to slaughter every hog I can with illuminated night vision and suppressed goodness. Feels good to quietly end a thief on my year round corn piles.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    Our corral trap has cleared out 15 pigs in 24 hours. We got 6 the first night and figured it needed to rest. Late last night 9 more pushed in through the gate. They’re gone and I doubt it made a dent in the population. The irritating thing is they are looking less like Russians and more like feral hogs every year. I sure hope someone isn’t releasing pigs in the area.
    I haven’t seen a true russian looking pig in a very long time! I killed a boar today that was as feral looking as they come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Never hunted pigs before need to give it a try.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

IMO, at least in the areas that I've hunted and killed pigs for farmers, it's backwards from what you say. Most of the hogs in my areas are just feral pigs that can be traced all the way back to whenever people used to free range them. If you see a hog with an Eurasian appearance it was released by hunters.

Also, notice areas that have had hogs for 30+ years, they are just ferals. Now look at the hogs in areas that didn't have hogs until hog hunting became popular. They are from more Eurasian blood.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    IMO, at least in the areas that I've hunted and killed pigs for farmers, it's backwards from what you say. Most of the hogs in my areas are just feral pigs that can be traced all the way back to whenever people used to free range them. If you see a hog with an Eurasian appearance it was released by hunters.

Also, notice areas that have had hogs for 30+ years, they are just ferals. Now look at the hogs in areas that didn't have hogs until hog hunting became popular. They are from more Eurasian blood.
    I would tend to agree with this. But hell there hasn’t been a true Russian/Eurasian pig turned loose in this country since Columbus stumbled upon us!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Calling a feral pig a “Russian Boar” is nothing more than a sales tactic used by these places that sell hog hunts.

I agree, but it’s pretty easy to tell the difference.

(Borrowed from a friend)
    6BE891D2-F9E1-4214-940B-EF758D287F29.jpg

(One of mine)
    696BCCDB-F4AF-4591-B576-A0EBF7029974.jpg

At the risk of being argumentative. What is it you are trying to show with those pictures? Because I see very little difference and the differences that I see, in my opinion, are attributed to age and age only.

I guess what I’m trying to say is nowadays saying “that’s a Russian pig” or whatever is only a justification for a killing or to make someone feel better about themselves. Pigs, not unlike humans and many other species, have variations in color, size, shape, etc. I will say however that the closer you get to the coast the more “razorback” looking the older boars get. My old man still calls them “Piney Woods Rooters” and he’s been looking at them since he was a Forestry student working at hobcaw in the 70s.

Not really trying to argue anything. Just stating that from my experience the areas that have had hogs before you and I were even born look very similar to farm pigs. Where as a lot of areas that hogs have popped up within the past 10 years or so look a lot more like an actual Eurasian wild hog. These hogs tend to have a longer snout, thicker mane, longer more straight tail, and broader in the front while being more “narrow” in the rear.

I don’t care if it looks a russian or some kids 4h project I just want them dead
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

With European/Russian bloodlines, the babies have stripes.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I am not sure how well this will be received but figured I am going to try. I live in Indiana and actually have a good friend that lives in SC that I met while I was in the Marines. We became friends because of hog hunting. He invited me to come hunt with him when I rotated back to the states from Iraq. I have been coming down there every year to hunt with him and have taken a decent number of hogs. One thing that I have always wanted to do is take a hog with dogs and a knife. I have actually paid to do it in Texas with an outfitter and lets just say that was a joke and a scamm. No hogs to be found even with his dogs in a high fence. This past March I went to Oklahoma to do the same but they failed to book the dogs so I just killed a hog with my gun. If any of you hunt them with dogs or know of someone that does and would be willing to let me come down and join you sometime I would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM and if I cant ask this on here feel free to remove it.
    Last edited by Buckhunter99; 05-18-2023 at 06:55 AM.

i got hog dogs,
    but unlike Jabs buddies,
    i’ve never moved pigs to create a population to hunt.
    Windows Down!

i used to move a lot of pigs.
    and I dont know about russian vs not unless its tiny.

the meaner ones have thicker hair on their back and a more athletic/fighting build. thick shoulders. narrowing to the back.
    and is every brendle more feral? i aint know. but all boars smell funny. even when you cook em
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I thought I read many years ago about some private game preserve in North Carolina, if memory serves, that had pretty pure strain European pigs that eventually got out and populated the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I don’t care if it looks a russian or some kids 4h project I just want them dead
    Well said. I’ve been dealing with them for years and have killed everything from pink speckled pigs to long nosed, furry boars and the plan has always been the same. Kill every one I can.