Thread: Fishing during boat transport

Default Fishing during boat transport

I am going to Massachusetts next week to pick up a boat and transport it to Charleston (by water) the first leg is mostly offshore before we get to the IC waterway.

My question is how the law works regarding fishing while on this journey. Obviously while in state waters it’s a state license, but if we push into federal waters, what licensing is required? For instance if we leave NY, push to NJ, but only fish in federal waters, whose jurisdiction is it? More of a theoretical question, as I’m just curious how it works. Anyone have experience doing it?

If you bring a fish into state waters, have license for that state.

Yep. What he said.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Bwahahahewiahbxi. L……..FJB

Or you could put the rods away, put the fish in the refrigerator, and make like you’re transporting a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Or you could put the rods away, put the fish in the refrigerator, and make like you’re transporting a boat.
    Brilliant.

Fished from NC all the way to LA & TX on a steel hull, never been bothered. Lots of sails & DOLPHIN off Miami & PEV awaiting a berth.
    Had 9 rods across the stern off the Humps, the 2nd mate keep us on the rip & fish half a day! Only boats that approached us were those wanting a pic of us hauling fish 35' up.

Private boat, I've had USCG doing checks in Fed. waters. Initially a safety check then they stated they are assisting local DNR/DFG/FWC and did a fish check.
    There have been some tackle/bait restrictions enacted in some states to be aware of. May also be a good idea looking into an HMS permit, vessel specific, so not sure ya want to deal with that unless owner will apply.

Squid had been real thick off the back side of the Cape, in close to Osterville/Centerville beaches.

Gracias Fish!
    Last edited by DG34YF; 05-17-2023 at 03:16 PM.

Some of the merkin restrictions are tourney rules only so don't be totally duped into buying other stuff. A pink or purple jerkin' merkin is still the best bill bait

Fillet and Release.

That’s been my assumption as well, not really worried about it, really just wanted to know the technical or truly “legal” way of how it works. in the case of USCG stopping you in federal waters type situation.

I used to live on the NC SC line. Hunted and fished both areas. Often the game laws arent congruent between NC and SC so I'd follow the law of the land according to which landing I used. 99 times out of ten you dont see a warden except at the landing.

The only time I ever saw a warden of either state was the day we drug a shrimp seine over the NC border by mistake. It was my favorite bait drain. That day we got an airplane, a helicopter, and four boats. We were 15, maybe and maybe 50' over the line. I was real irate because we had a pile of damned nice shrimps that we lost. One day after that I heard Arlo Guthrie sing Alice's Restaurant and have never identified more with a song.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Alice's Restaurant? You are old BB.

Listening to old music doesnt make me old.

My daughter LOVES Waylon Jennings. She's 11. Going to name her first dog Waylon. If she gets two...his name will be Willie.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by jspittler View Post
    That’s been my assumption as well, not really worried about it, really just wanted to know the technical or truly “legal” way of how it works. in the case of USCG stopping you in federal waters type situation.
    Again, pay attention and don’t let anyone get close enough to see you fishing. Also, did you catch anything? If so, post pictures.

Well the trip didnt go as planned. Got to the boat and everything was great, after 6 months on dry stack we splashed it and it fired right up. Spent 2 days cleaning it up and making sure everything was good to go. I knew it was a slow boat going in, but it ended up being much slower than I thought. Cruise speed was right at 10knots. It was beautiful the first few days, driving down the east river by Manhattan and the statue of liberty was super cool. From there it was flat seas, so we stayed at about the 3 mile mark down the coast of Jersey. Probably saw 300 plus boats everyday striper fishing. From there I swapped out with my brother and he finished the trip going down the intercoastal. Next time I definitely think ill bring a fishing rod and a couple of nomads or something to pull while were riding, or at least a spinning rod so when we get to these marinas I can take the dingy out and cast a few times in the evenings. Ill try and upload some pics today from the trip.

so you're saying you're not bringing me any fillets?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Sounds like torture to me.