Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milorganite

Default Milorganite

I found out today that the price of that shit has skyrocketed. From roughly $15 a bag to almost 30 is anybody ever tried using it around the edges of the field instead of applying it over the whole field? I’ve
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Just get poconite.

It’s cheaper. Works.

I think I paid $9.99 a bag at ACE. Milorganite was $19.99 a bag.

I live near Newberry who would sell poconite near me?
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 05-15-2023 at 07:03 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

We would put it on the edges of the field, but our deer got used to it. If you’re having issues with deer I would try Des-x insecticidal soap 2 1/2oz to the gallon. It works miracles for us.
    Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Ones from Sumter, the other Milwaukee.. equally disturbing poop
    Last edited by Highstrung; 05-15-2023 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mldalton View Post
    We would put it on the edges of the field, but our deer got used to it. If you’re having issues with deer I would try Des-x insecticidal soap 2 1/2oz to the gallon. It works miracles for us.
    Tell me more about this Des-X and keeping the deer away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the feed store in Little Mtn. I get a invite for the PRO TIP? Maybe Rogers in Saluda
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I found out today that the price of that shit has skyrocketed. From roughly $15 a bag to almost 30 is anybody ever tried using it around the edges of the field instead of applying it over the whole field? I’ve
    When I was planting a dove field in deer country I would do the perimeter instead of broad casting field. I probably used about the same amount before I had luck. I poured a 3-4” line 1” tall around the field. Then when I would get to the trails coming into the field I would pour a lot out there. It took roughly 30 bags to go around the first time. Then I’d hit it another time with 10-20 more. This was on a 9 acre field. After I made the perimeter you didn’t see a deer track but it also helped that peanuts were planted across the dirt road. The next year when it was cotton had a little trouble but nothing too bad using the same method.

The best way to keep them out other than electric fence is pull a permit and shoot em. Or handle it during deer season and shoot every doe you see.

I'm still having luck with putting out a band around the edges of the fields. I use a shoulder satchel spreader and put it out pretty sparsely but have to repeat every couple or three weeks depending on rain. If deer are hungry enough, it takes more to dissuade them. I have one field that is pretty secluded and not near any other agriculture. It's hard to keep them out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mldalton View Post
    I called the manufacturer to see if it is safe to use on sunflowers. They could not advise one way or the other due to sf not being on the label. However, the label has a ton of plants it's safe to use on so I may give it a try. The advantages are you can spray it, it doesn't need rain to activate it and it is a lot cheaper than Milorganite.

Has anyone tried it on sunflowers??
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    The best way to keep them out other than electric fence is pull a permit and shoot em. Or handle it during deer season and shoot every doe you see.
    The farm I live on, the farmer tried some "new stuff" last year (or year before, I can't remember) and it worked. After he sprayed it the deer went from 50+ to one or two. Seems like it lasted 3-4 weeks.

I have had success with Millers Hot Sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    The farm I live on, the farmer tried some "new stuff" last year (or year before, I can't remember) and it worked. After he sprayed it the deer went from 50+ to one or two. Seems like it lasted 3-4 weeks.
    Damn if you don't mind can you see what he used? Thanks!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

He said it was a nutrient product. He thinks it’s called plant sync.

Des-x works. Nutrien Ag sells Plant-skydd. Fella I know bought a bag last week. Dried Pigs blood. 20lbs for $300. 1 lb to the acre with surfactant. Pre mix in a bucket then add to sprayer. Stinks to high heaven. We'll see how it does soon enough.

I sprayed Penergetic last week and it seems to be working great in one field and not so great in the other. May give some of these other suggestions a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    Des-x works. Nutrien Ag sells Plant-skydd. Fella I know bought a bag last week. Dried Pigs blood. 20lbs for $300. 1 lb to the acre with surfactant. Pre mix in a bucket then add to sprayer. Stinks to high heaven. We'll see how it does soon enough.
    It will certainly keep the Muslims away.

For Muslims just put a sign up - they won’t chance it