Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: South carolina lifts public lands sunday hunting prohibition!

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The DNR understands you control the harvest by reducing the days afield. .

If the turkeys are in trouble allowing more days is not a good idea. A one bird limit by itself won't help

If we are discriminating against the working man, open it up Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.

The DNR understands you control the harvest by reducing the days afield. .

If the turkeys are in trouble allowing more days is not a good idea. A one bird limit by itself won't help

If we are discriminating against the working man, open it up Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    If turkey are in trouble then reducing the kill is the first step to managing the problem. Reducing the tags and the season will reduce the kill but this needs to be state over not just on WMA.
    Last edited by centurian; 05-17-2023 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    If turkey are in trouble then reducing the kill is the first step to managing the problem. Reducing the tags and the season will reduce the kill but this needs to be state over not just on WMA.
    Glad someone else understands that if limiting time afield as a management tactic to low population then it makes no sense to ONLY limit the people killing 7% of the birds per the report data. That's been my argument all along, either we're managing a species or we aren't. It makes no sense to give private land 6 weeks plus Sundays while WMA hunters get 4 weeks minus Sundays.

However, I'm always against the notion of shortening a season or removing a tag because history shows we'll never get it back. We all want to spend time doing what we love and spend as much time as we can.

I'll say it again, I'm not in favor of any more DNR regulation that will do nothing but restrict our access while they continue to be probably the biggest failure of all DNR history. But if they were to make a change, I'd rather WMA and private land dates be the same and limit decoy and blind usage to some degree. That will save plenty of turkeys while still giving us plenty of time to enjoy the woods we pay for.

I'll be in favor of legalizing fanning them into a pile of corn on WMA before I'll be in favor of them taking one freaking inch away from our already insultingly short WMA turkey season.
    Last edited by JimmyD714; 05-17-2023 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    It makes no sense to give private land 6 weeks plus Sundays while WMA hunters get 4 weeks minus Sundays.
    it makes a shitton of sense. try to figure out why. once you do, a little lightbulb will appear above your head.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    it makes a shitton of sense. try to figure out why. once you do, a little lightbulb will appear above your head.
    I know it's easy to just type that, and that kind of thing flies a lot on here, but can you actually defend your reasoning or do you just like these (not so) clever 1-liners?

It’s not their fault (every time). They do the best they can.
    I don’t have a dog in this fight other than to call Toof out for this comment.

Yes. Most, if not all, wildlife issues on designated WMA lands are directly SCDNR’s fault, every day and twice on Sunday.

Show me a Waterfowl Area, I’ll fill a spreadsheet with State retardations that prevent maximum waterfowl usage.

No dolphin for you.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

its not your property
    So land I have the deed to is not mine? I’m confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Enjoy your high pressured public land while it last. Pressure is and issue so why not increase it. Makes sense.
    It’s a fact that there are far less hunters now than before. It is also a fact that there is far less available land to hunt than before. Maybe you’re right…

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    It’s a fact that there are far less hunters now than before. It is also a fact that there is far less available land to hunt than before. Maybe you’re right…

In SC?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Even if hunter numbers are declining, which I do not believe to be true, they aren't declining near as fast as the available acerage to hunt is.

This is evidenced by an increase in crowding.

So why cram them all into Saturday when we could spread some of that pressure across 2 days?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

He whines about the DNR not managing the WMA properties, but when a scientifically sound and proven management tool is suggested,....he's against it.

The difference between private land and WMA is the # of hunters per gobbler is probably 10 to 20 times greater on the WMA land.

If the average harvest/success rate on WMA is .25 per hunter, reducing the tags to 1 will have ZERO effect.

If they are harvesting too many gobblers, you have to reduce the days.

That whole "hunter numbers are declining" looks like shit now that we have the legacy media is bullshit lens to look through. Licence sales don't mean dick.

Stop listening to the communist propaganda and start listening to people who have lived under communist regimes, because you are fixing to be...

He whines about the DNR not managing the WMA properties, but when a scientifically sound and proven management tool is suggested,....he's against it.

The difference between private land and WMA is the # of hunters per gobbler is probably 10 to 20 times greater on the WMA land.

If the average harvest/success rate on WMA is .25 per hunter, reducing the tags to 1 will have ZERO effect.

If they are harvesting too many gobblers, you have to reduce the days.

Yep, I don’t get what is so hard to understand about this.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    That whole "hunter numbers are declining" looks like shit now that we have the legacy media is bullshit lens to look through. Licence sales don't mean dick.

Stop listening to the communist propaganda and start listening to people who have lived under communist regimes, because you are fixing to be...
    I don’t turkey hunt. But I’ve got several buddies that are addicts.
    If I’ve learned anything, it’s that good turkey hunters tag out then completely mindfuck me by spending the remainder of the season taking and teaching their future competition.
    Maybe because they just aren’t ready for it to be over?

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    If I’ve learned anything, it’s that good turkey hunters tag out then completely mindfuck me by spending the remainder of the season taking and teaching their future competition.
    Oh the slippery slope you are climbing, and I completely agree with every thing you just did and didn’t say.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Should have to have a tag in your possession to be able to call for others
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Limit it to one bird. Pressure problem is solved. Season starting 2nd full week in April and ending the second Saturday in May. Private and public. Done and done. Duck season is prolly gonna stay Sat/Wed for the places it is limited to. Deer season let ‘em go. Open up trapping on public land. Hog and coyote hunting year round.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Limit it to one bird. Pressure problem is solved. Season starting 2nd full week in April and ending the second Saturday in May. Private and public. Done and done. Duck season is prolly gonna stay Sat/Wed for the places it is limited to. Deer season let ‘em go. Open up trapping on public land. Hog and coyote hunting year round.
    Dogproof traps only on public land
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

You know who the non-turkey hunters are when they say "limit to 1". That will solve the problem.

Heck let's get all them people off the water too. 1 bass limit and 1 duck limit. You shoot / catch your 1 , then time for you to go home! Im tired of looking at all the glitter boats and mud boats. #ONEANDDONE
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

A one bird limit is a terrible idea.