Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South carolina lifts public lands sunday hunting prohibition!

Default South carolina lifts public lands sunday hunting prohibition!

Finally.

https://congressionalsportsmen.org/n...c-df105541035d

Why It Matters: Sunday hunting prohibitions are rooted in antiquated Blue Laws that are not based on scientific wildlife management principles. Sunday hunting restrictions hinder hunter recruitment, retention, and reactivation efforts (R3) and limit hunter access to public land while allowing access for other user groups on Sundays. By opening Sunday hunting on Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) starting in the fall of 2023, South Carolina’s hunters will now have seven-day access to public lands for the first time in the state’s history. Sunday hunting has been legal on private lands statewide since 2004.

Highlights:

On May 26, 2023, new WMA regulations will take effect that allow Sunday hunting on eight WMAs and two National Forests from October 15 to January 31.
    The Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation (CSF) worked with the South Carolina Legislative Sportsmen’s Caucus (Caucus) and conservation partners since 2020 to advocate for opening Sunday hunting on WMAs.
    Prior to this regulation change, South Carolina was the only Southern state with an outright ban on Sunday hunting on public lands.
    In 2021, The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) and Clemson University conducted a series of public meetings and an online poll to gauge public opinion about Sunday hunting on WMAs. The results showed overwhelming support for opening Sunday hunting on public lands, with “75% of participants in favor of hunting on Sunday,” and online poll responses showing “approximately 2:1 in favor of Sunday hunting on SCDNR WMAs.”

In 2022 and 2023, Caucus Co-Chair Representative Bobby Cox introduced legislation to repeal the Sunday hunting prohibition which put the issue front and center for the South Carolina sportsmen’s community. In March 2023, CSF submitted comments to House and Senate Committees supporting the SCDNR proposed regulations to allow Sunday hunting for a portion of the hunting season on eight WMAs and the two National Forests. While CSF supports Sunday hunting being fully concurrent with all hunting seasons in the state, these new regulations are a significant step forward for South Carolina’s hunters by providing seven-day access on about 70% of the WMA acreage for three and a half months of the year.

WMAs are purchased and/or managed with dollars generated by sportsmen and women through the “user pays – public benefits” American System of Conservation Funding. The Palmetto State’s sportsmen and women generated more than $31 million for state-based conservation efforts in 2021 alone. Allowing Sunday hunting access on the very lands that South Carolina’s sportsmen and women pay to purchase, manage, and conserve is a great victory for South Carolina’s outdoor sporting community and is an important step toward recruiting the next generation of hunters.

CSF sincerely thanks National Assembly of Sportsmen’s Caucuses Executive Council Member and Caucus Co-Chair Rep. Bobby Cox, numerous other Caucus Members, conservation partners, and the SCDNR for working to find a solution that allows South Carolina’s hunters access to public lands seven days a week and strengthens the Palmetto state’s outdoor sporting heritage for generations to come.

Good news. Which WMAs are included?

Not sure yet. I just got the email from CSF a few minutes ago.

I hope this doesn't apply during turkey season, or else they're done for.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

No Sundays during turkey season.

15 Oct - 31 Jan

So what’s the difference between turkeys and deer? What about other small game or can you already hunt rabbits and such on Sunday?
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Sinners gonna sin

So, we can't hunt ducks on WMA's on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and, now, Sundays...yeah.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    Sinners gonna sin
    This is true. We're all sinners and we are all gonna sin. The blood of Jesus washes my sins away.

And Sunday hunting has nothing to do with sin.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post

And Sunday hunting has nothing to do with sin.
    Yep, it's always been about keeping other people away from your spot when you won't be there.

Same for duck hunting in NC.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-15-2023 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    So what’s the difference between turkeys and deer? What about other small game or can you already hunt rabbits and such on Sunday?
    No we were never allowed to hunt anything on Sunday. This is fantastic to finally get off the embarrassing list of only a few states that still take away 50% of the average working man's opportunity to hunt the land we pay for.

I have no idea why we didn't get this for the Spring as well, maybe it'll happen soon.

Now they need to get their heads out of their behinds and allow hog hunting year round on wma.

Well looks like ill be headed to some wma’s for some weekends now. Hard to justify for only one day of hunting to pack camp up
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Booo, it's going to turn us into a hipster state, only private people should hunt private land while public people make public faces

Awesome news !

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Now they need to get their heads out of their behinds and allow hog hunting year round on wma.
    coyote too!
    Windows Down!

Thanks for sharing. Please send any updates. Specifically pertaining to fmnf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article says it’s for two National Forests. There’s only the Sumter and the Francis Marion so I’d say it applies to the FMNF.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Please send any updates. Specifically pertaining to fmnf

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Ditto. It’s almost as shitty as not allowing hunting on Sundays.

And hopefully this goes to year-round pretty soon.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

So they lift it, but don't really lift it. Turkeys and deer (before Oct 15) must be more holy