Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruit Trees

Default Fruit Trees

Who on here grows them? I have very little experience except for when I was a kid.

Ideally I’d like lemon, lime, papaya, mango, avocado, etc maybe some others.

Is that manageable in SC? We can go in ground, container, greenhouse etc. Just exploring options at this point.

Thanks!

winter freeze is bad on them.

i have lemon, lime, and satsuma. working on avocado. most are in containers. couple mandarins and one meyer lemon in ground close to my house. I cover in winter, as best I can. lost one lemon at 18deg after it had flowered a little.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

McKenzie Farms in Scranton has hybrid Tangerines to stand cold below 15 degrees. The fruit is the sweetest I have ever eaten. We just planted them in the flowerbeds.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I’m thinking about planting a plumb tree in the fall. I live in Lexington. I assume our climate is right but I haven’t looked.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    I’m thinking about planting a plumb tree in the fall. I live in Lexington. I assume our climate is right but I haven’t looked.
    We planted 4-5 at my house when I was kid. They beared fruit well through my high school years.

you can message him on facebook, his name is Stan Mckenzie

just make sure its level.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Make sure you plant the correct type for our area. some require more or less "chill hours" If you get the wrong ones, they will bloom too early and a march frost will zap it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    just make sure its level.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 05-15-2023 at 12:37 PM.

2th is a funny fellow. If you got squirrels you want have any plums unless you stand guard night and day. Ask me how I know
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I just ordered a mango tree and a fig tree, those tangerine trees look awesome.

I feel responsible for talking 2th into a meyer lemon, mine made it through two moves.. one year it burnt up with winter, took a year to start producing again. That mofo poked me one last time, they have devilish thorns.. it got me under my finger nail, I hauled it into my back back yard, kicked it, shot it, and chunked it

I only have figs and blueberries at the moment, trying to get more into the ground

I’ve got methley plums, Fuju Japanese persimmons, various blueberries, thornless blackberries, scuppernongs and muscadines. If you want any plum advice, plant them asap. I planted mine 5 years ago and got the first crop this year. I love citrus as much as the next (visor) guy but never thought I could have much success in Edgefield Co. I’d buy 100 jap persimmons today if I could. Best fruit out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I second McKenzie farms. Mine are in year 3 and just starting to produce. Stan's very knowledgable and willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I’ve got methley plums, Fuju Japanese persimmons, various blueberries, thornless blackberries, scuppernongs and muscadines. If you want any plum advice, plant them asap. I planted mine 5 years ago and got the first crop this year. I love citrus as much as the next (visor) guy but never thought I could have much success in Edgefield Co. I’d buy 100 jap persimmons today if I could. Best fruit out there.
    Do those Japanese persimmons have the ability to give you the nasty cottonmouth that a partially unripe wild one can give you? I eat a bunch of the wild ones in the Fall. Every once in a while one fools me that is nice and mushy but still not ready. One got my daughter last year and she wasn't happy about it! Persimmons are the first thing we want to plant when we get a few acres.

My figs have been smoked every year. I am about to rip them out for being in the way and start over. Have great blueberries and blackberries.
    cut\'em

I have blueberries, blackberries and pawpaws that are maintenance and issue free. I have pears, apples, and plums that are prone to disease, frost issues, and bugs. I have a handful of lemons and limes, but they can't take frost and don't like temps under 40. They're a hassle and a $5 bag of lemons from the grocery store is more than you'll get every year, but they're kind of neat.
    Unless you're willing to move citrus in and out a garage, your only citrus option is what Stan McKenzie recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Do those Japanese persimmons have the ability to give you the nasty cottonmouth that a partially unripe wild one can give you? I eat a bunch of the wild ones in the Fall. Every once in a while one fools me that is nice and mushy but still not ready. One got my daughter last year and she wasn't happy about it! Persimmons are the first thing we want to plant when we get a few acres.
    Negative, at least in my experiences. They stay on the tree forever too. Given the choice of any fruit or vegetable, I’m going jap persimmon no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!